How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 11-13-2004, 08:06 AM

Send a message via AIM to wynndi Send a message via Yahoo to wynndi
Honking at myself...WTF???

I returned from a business trip last night (Phoenix is great this time of year!). I had to park my '96 out in the elements at Philly International while I was gone, lots were full.

She got rained on pretty good which shouldn't be an issue. I'm about 1/10 of a mile from the booth where you pay and someone very close is laying on their horn for a good full second. I check all of the mirrors and nobody is within 20 feet. The horn sounded VERY familiar, so I tapped mine.....identical. I convinced myself that through the jetlag I must have leaned on my own horn.

4 miles later, coming up on the Walt Whitman bridge, still pouring, lots of standing water, the horn honks again...and again...and again. Interior light comes on and dims when the horn honks.......this is not good.

I survey the dash I have a lot of stuff running: rear defrost, front and rear wiper, fog lights, radio....

For a moment, I consider pulling over, but decide that walking in the 37 degree downpour is a bad option, worse than honking at strangers involuntarily.

I start shutting things down, hoping to isolate the gremlin. A/C off, fog lights off, rear defrost off, Security off, all within seconds. Problem stops, I drive on.

A few hundred yards later, windows are starting to fog up pretty badly. I hit the defrost (front) and the fogged up windows are dissipating WAAAAAY slower than usual. Everything else is working ok, but it's a nervous drive home from there.

It was VERY late, so I haven't been out to the garage to check wires and such, or pull a OBDII report.

I am thinking that it may be related to the security system.

Or maybe my remote got crushed in my luggage and was throwing signals (doubtful as the remote functioned "as advertised")

Anyone experience this before?

ANY help would be appreciated before I lose a whole day chasing wires!!

Old 11-13-2004, 09:05 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Happens to me all the time in rainy weather. Drives me crazy. Only solution I've found is to disable the alarm system. Still haven't figured out why its happening, but I'm guessing the dampness is causing something to get short circuited. I know the module itself it not getting wet. I've checked it many times. I'm considering going with an aftermarket alarm in hopes to stop the problem. Not certain at all that it will though.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 11-14-2004, 06:32 PM
The Kind of Casual SVXer

Send a message via AIM to Weebitob
Registered SVX
It might be something more than that. I remember when I was being test driven in a SVX, which I might possibly own soon enough if the I get it to the mechanic and not to mention a couple of other factors. I a car passed to the right in front of us at a light and it was pretty close. As that happened I heard two little honks emanate from the SVX, sort of like how the unlocking honks sound like, I thought my mind was playing tricks on me. It also happened when a car passed us on the highway.

But now since I heard your account of the honking while in the rainstorm it can mean something else as well. It might mean that the SVX is equipped with some proximity censor that honks at close or incoming objects. And since the rain is technically lots of tiny incoming objects posing as one big mass, especially in a rainstorm and the fog, it throws the censors off into thinking that many cars are coming at you.

Or it could be the wire to the alarm system shorting from being bombarded with rain and I am insane.
Old 11-15-2004, 03:49 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I notice that both of your cars have the alarm system in the trunk. Has anyone with a 92 had this problem?

There must be more than a coincidence here.