Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2004, 05:40 PM
Brock94SVX

Converting to a 5spd.

ok guys ... mine is a 94 L (FWD) what parts do you recommend for a conversation?
Old 09-30-2004, 06:21 PM
5 speeds rock! :D

I don't recommend PARTS. I recommend a PARTS CAR.

I am in the middle of a conversion. Trust me, it is a nightmare without a complete donor car. You want to be able to compare the two and combine parts, hangers, fasteners, brackets, etc.

Pick the tranny you want, then find the donor car.

I like the WRX RS 4:11 final drive. Although if you could score a Forester, it may be a better option.

An awful lot of Legacys, etc. have been used because of the lower cost of the donor car.

Huck369's advice to stick with a cable drive clutch is good advice for ease of installation. He is a very wise man. The hydraulic clutch may be cool, but the difficulty factor in the installation increases exponentially.

Good Luck!!

'92 LS-L Claret: '01 RS 4:11 5-speed, Exedy organic, lightened flywheel, and Koni/ GC
Old 09-30-2004, 06:43 PM
Brock94SVX

Oh wow... parts car sounds like it would be over $2500 with pro install maybe i'll just stick to a rebuild on the old auto then -lol-
Old 09-30-2004, 08:08 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Brock, you can get an early 90's fwd Legacy 5spd on Ebay for less than $1,000.00

Svxhunter is correct, the cheapest way to do a 5spd swap is to get a parts car.

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 10-01-2004, 02:56 AM
Jedi Member

Don't forget, it doesn't have to be a RUNNING car. It doesn't even really need to have anything but the parts you need for the swap so look for cars with a salvage title on them. Just make sure all the parts you'll need are in working order.
'01 Legacy Outback, White,
Old 10-01-2004, 05:05 AM

Wrecked cars are actually a potentially good investment. Think about it- a used car that is for sale frequently has something wrong that the owner would rather not divulge. A wrecked car was in good working order at the time of the wreck. It was not the owner's choice to sell it. Frequently, a wrecked car may have been well maintained, well running, perhaps even the owner's baby.

If you can find a wrecked or salvage title car with a good drive train- Bingo!

BTW- some of the performance cars (like the RS) get prematurely wrecked. Although these were the same ones that may not have been treated real well when they were alive.

$2500 is potentially a reasonable (though not generous) budget for a swap like this. If you find the right mechanic and the right car.

Since you are planning on using a mechanic, you might want to look for him (or her) first. A good Subaru tech could not only do the swap, but offer advice on the best donor candidates, and even help you find one.

'92 LS-L Claret: '01 RS 4:11 5-speed, Exedy organic, lightened flywheel, and Koni/ GC
Old 10-01-2004, 05:53 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
ALL FWD tranny will be a cable operated clutch, as there was never a hydralic one offered, and all RS, and WRXes are AWD, you'll have to get a 90-95 Impreza/Legacy FWD tranny....I have a whole car with everything you need, that I'd sell for $900....but I'm on the other side of the country....
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 10-01-2004, 10:59 AM

Like I said, He's a very wise man!!

Old 10-01-2004, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by svxhunter
Like I said, He's a very wise man!!
Goowwsshh...you're gonna make me blush....
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
Old 10-01-2004, 01:21 PM
Brock94SVX

Ok guys, I have an edge most people don't have I work for a small dealer so I have the line to find "salavged cars" & my personal mechanic doesn't feel good working on my car....cuz its so uncommon.... he recommended me to a shop... but the other issue is... finding the donor car... and having the shop do ALL the work within a week (it's my only car so i need it back asap) and if the cost is going to be more than rebuilding the auto ($2800) I honestly would just keep the auto we already have one 5spd sport cars in the house and a wife that hates to drive in the city with it -lol- anywho... thanks for all your imput!! I don't think its gonna happen this time around.. Just do to the fact That I don't think I can find a donor car without costing me an arm and a leg to tow it to my shop...Subaru's are kinda hard to find around here for some reason. And my boss is a mechanic by trade (30 years) his concerns are all these donor cars mentioned most are 4cly and weight alot less than the SVX... The parts and such are made for THAT specific car..... not anywhere near an SVX's weights & size...so are you sure the parts will last under under the tourqe and weight of the SVX's H-6?
Old 10-01-2004, 01:33 PM

Depends on how you drive...if you thrash it, it won't hold up, but if you thrash it nothing will hold up for long.

I've had a high mileage Legacy tranny in mine for 3 years now, it's working as well now as it did when I installed, but I don't beat on it, nor do I drive it a lot...

Draw your own conclusions, but replaceing a Legacy 5 speed will cost less than $500 (after the swap is complete), so you could trash several 5-speeds for less than a Subaru Remanufactured 4EAT
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
Old 10-01-2004, 04:32 PM
Brock94SVX

Ok guys.. Dunno if any other the people on here have done a 5spd conversion in a part of california that is in the "enhanced smog check 2" area or not but I just got off the phone with the tranny shop... and he reminded me of the issues it would cause witht he ECU and some of the other "brains"... normally it wouldn't be a big deal... but if the check engine light should stay on.. I could never get it smoged until that light is cleared nad adrive cycle is complete (which just blows) ... he told me to screw it and "just go buy a real car like a corvette" .. (ouch that hurt) but hey I feel pitty on him he hasn't had the pleasure of owning an SVX..thats fine he thinks all subbies are the same... but hey.. guys.. even if i wanted to do this.. turns out... I might have bigger issues and a higher cost...thanks for all your imput and advice...
case closed. <long sigh> "dayummmmm" oh well a rebuild auto isn't that bad i guess least I still get to driver her.. which is all the fun!
thanks again for sharing your expeinces and expertise with me!!
Old 10-01-2004, 06:56 PM

The transmission has a seperate Computer which is removed during the swap, the "Check engine light" will not light up because of a tranny swap, and all the smog stuff would still be in place....so it shouldn't be an issue.
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
Old 10-01-2004, 08:30 PM
Superbeast

Quote:
Originally posted by huck369
ALL FWD tranny will be a cable operated clutch, as there was never a hydralic one offered,

91 to 94 turbo Legacy (FWD) hydralic clutch
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 10-02-2004, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Subafreak

91 to 94 turbo Legacy (FWD) hydralic clutch
I didn't think there was ever a FWD Turbo Legacy....I have never seen nor heard of one....
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed