How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2003, 12:08 AM
6MT STi-ified, now with R180!

Send a message via ICQ to Nemesis Destiny Send a message via MSN to Nemesis Destiny
@ Last

I'm back from Ottawa; got in about 6am after 13 hours on the road. Now I'm the proud owner of a 92 LSL Touring in Liquid Silver and Black.

It has 94,000 miles on it, leather still looks good, fake suede mostly good (driver's door a little rough).

It's not perfect but what do you want for a '92 that was stolen and recovered?

The niggles: CD player is busted, trunk release lever is broken off, needs all four wheels balanced and a full alignment job, interior dome light is burnt out, clear coat on the paint on the front end is cracked in places, transmission occasionally misses 2nd gear, and there is some paint overspray on the headlight assembly and hood ornament (repainted front end from the minor damage received while being stolen).

I guess the most major issue is the tranny missing 2nd gear... I'm going to take it to a tranny shop before my aftermarket warranty is up so I can get it fixed for cheap-if-not-free. If it's toast, I may swap in the 5-speed.

Next will be the vibration at certain speeds, which I assume is caused by the rims being improperly balanced and the car being possibly out of alignment.

Anyone have any thoughts on the matter? I'm sure that it will need all the usual service which was no doubt not done or at best, done incorrectly.
Old 11-19-2003, 04:45 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

I hope everything works out for you and your SVX
The rims may not be round and worth checking it out.
Take care
Old 11-19-2003, 10:17 AM
Sue isn't really striped

Congrats on the SVX (especially on the tranny warranty).
Old 11-19-2003, 10:21 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
You know what I think is cool? Not only people still looking for and buying SVXs, but people who are still so geeked about owning one that they'll adopt an SVX with known problems.

I hope your SVX provides you with many happy years of service. I sure love mine, and I hope that you are as happy as I am after four years.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 11-19-2003, 07:24 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Nemesis Destiny Send a message via MSN to Nemesis Destiny
Thanks. What can I say, this car has character, and the desire to own a car with character like this defies logic (in a good way). I test-drove a 93 about 5 years ago and was instantly bitten by the SVX bug; I knew that someday I needed to own one, and now I do.

Plus, I felt bad for this car... I think it just needs some love. Besides that, the clearcoat is no biggie, and neither is the trunk release. The guy I bought this car from had about 4 junked ones in the back (all green, curiously), so I can get parts easily enough. As for the CD player, I would like to replace it with a "car-puter" running WinAMP anyway, so that shouldn't be a problem.

I had my trusted mechanic look at it today and he said that the car is in fine shape mechanically (tranny issues aside), but that it probably just needs a new filter and a flush. I guess that would be a good time to add an inline auxilliary filter and... better/larger/additional tranny cooler?
Old 11-19-2003, 07:29 PM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
Yay another liquid silver Welcome!
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 11-20-2003, 01:40 PM
MarXVS

Ottawa SVX

Hey that's great. You made a trip to my backyard from the Soo for an SVX. Apparently Ottawa and Montreal are big SVX regions so anybody that locates one in this area and wants a quick heads up before they make a trip here just PM me and I might be able to be of service in some way.

I'm 16 minutes outside of Ottawa, I've got a Teal 92 and I would be interested to know more about this guy who has other SVX's (parts). because ...

I knew it was inevitable but my tranny slipped/slammed into 2nd last night for the first time. And ... Nope I didn't like it, didn't like it one little bit, and now am considering the options - whatever they might be.
Old 11-20-2003, 02:08 PM
MarXVS

Re: @ Last

Quote:
Originally posted by Nemesis Destiny

Next will be the vibration at certain speeds, which I assume is caused by the rims being improperly balanced and the car being possibly out of alignment.
Another comment just popped into my brain:
I just got one of those laser alignments after the rack install and I can't say enough good things about it. I had some issues with (for example) the price and time the work took, but a couple days of driving and a whole bunch of concerns I had related to ride and steering had magically cleared up - issues that I thought had nothing to do with power steering. Now I'm eggstatic about the ride and look for any excuse to go for a drive.

Get that alignment and you'll REALLY be impressed.
Old 11-20-2003, 10:42 PM

Quote:
I just got one of those laser alignments after the rack install and I can't say enough good things about it.
I'm not even sure I can get that around here... the Sault is kinda one of those 'hick towns' where everyone sneers at imports from their jacked up GMCs. I doubt anyone around here thinks it'd be worth doing. I'll look though.

Quote:
I'm 16 minutes outside of Ottawa, I've got a Teal 92 and I would be interested to know more about this guy who has other SVX's (parts).
My contact's name is Marcel and he works at a small operation called Advanced Auto on Michael St. Msg me if you want/need more info.
Old 11-20-2003, 11:30 PM
Soobarooo

Wink

The drive from Ottawa and the Soo is enough to throw the alignment out on any car. Maybe even bend a couple wheels...
Old 11-20-2003, 11:41 PM

Quote:
The drive from Ottawa and the Soo is enough to throw the alignment out on any car. Maybe even bend a couple wheels...
I'd love to blame the trip, but honestly, it was doing it before I left Ottawa proper. I first noticed it Monday night in rush hour on the 417 Westbound... that was around the same time I first noticed the tranny slip. Can you imagine what I was thinking to myself? (Oh no! What have I done? I've bought a lemon!!!) I've since gotten over it.
Old 11-22-2003, 06:18 PM

Whats the name or number of that highway into the Hull. 86 or something. I stopped into a bakery and the sign on the wall said "Pray for me I drive highway 86"

Tom

That's a Subaru
Old 11-22-2003, 08:04 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Nemesis Destiny

I'd love to blame the trip, but honestly, it was doing it before I left Ottawa proper. I first noticed it Monday night in rush hour on the 417 Westbound... that was around the same time I first noticed the tranny slip. Can you imagine what I was thinking to myself? (Oh no! What have I done? I've bought a lemon!!!) I've since gotten over it.
Chances are that the tires just need to be remounted and balance. When i bought my SVX it had been sitting in a parking lot for months(bought it with a junked tranny for a 5psd swap) and it would vibrate at speed. 80 bux later and it was all great. I love these cars!
phil
Old 11-23-2003, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Chances are that the tires just need to be remounted and balance.
Yeah, I'm hoping that's all there is to it. Looks like the car had been sitting for a bit, plus they're cheap American Racing rims (didn't come with OE ones), so I'm sure that doesn't help.

So that and a tranny flush and filter replacement and I'm all set mechanically. I was thinking I'd better get an auxilliary cooler mounted while I'm at it and make sure the auxilliary inline filter was installed also. Does anyone have any thoughts for me to consider on this?
Old 11-23-2003, 10:53 PM
Sue isn't really striped

Quote:
he said that the car is in fine shape mechanically (tranny issues aside), but that it probably just needs a new filter and a flush.
Unless you've got a year to wait and see on your warrantee, I'd be cautious about relying on the flush and filter to do anything more than short-term improvement. It could be that the fix will last just until the warranty expires. But maybe I'm just paranoid since I'm on my 3rd tranny. The cooler's a good idea.