Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2001, 08:00 PM

Ride, rattle, and rust

Hi
I'm new to this board and, perhaps not uniquely, I don't have an SVX. I am looking at a luxury sport coupe for next year to use as a project car/daily driver (but I will keep my 240SX as insurance). My choices seem to have come down to a 96/97 SVX or a 95/96 Lexus SC400. Both are extremely rare here in Winnipeg, Canada and, therefore, I haven't had the opportunity to test drive the SVX on the "test tracks" that I'm accustomed to use for other cars.

I have a few questions which maybe you guys can help answer for me.

1. I've driven 2 SVXs, both 92s, one with 60000 miles which was solid as a rock, and one with 130000 miles which was a rattletrap. A couple of reviews mentioned body squeaks on the 92s. The question is: which is the real SVX?

2. I regularly drive on a concrete slab highway which gravel trucks have turned into a washboard surface. The ride can be bad enough (particularly in the winter - and it gets really cold up here) to shake your fillings loose! I don't expect a smooth or quiet ride on this (even the SC400 took it badly, not so much in terms of the ride but in noise level where it "clunked" over every ripple) but has anyone any comments on how the SVX might handle this sort of surface?

3. Because of availability I will probably have to get an SVX brought in from distant parts. I am concerned that, if I consider cars from Eastern Canada (where they use enough road salt every winter to drain the Atlantic Ocean), I might find rust problems. I know that the body is galvanized but there are limits to what metal, however well protected, can withstand. Has anyone on the board from areas where they use lots of road salt experienced problems?

I'd greatly appreciate any info on these topics.
Thanks in advance.
Old 08-20-2001, 09:50 PM
The Road Less Traveled

1) I picked up my 92 last year at 142,000 miles, and it currently has 166,000 miles. The car still seems very solidly built, as far as the body/trim goes.

2) Ride's not too bad. Not like my '00 Legacy, but not bad for a car that can rip around a corner. I'm just "down the street" from the border. An 1900km street (Yonge Street), but down the street nonetheless. You're welcome to come down for a test drive on them concrete roads in Southern Ontario.

3) Rust is a non-issue on this car, IMHO. Unless the car is seriously neglected, this car will hold up to just about any condition. The previous owner lived in PA, and had the car from 94 thru 00, and when I bought it, no rust at all.

Both are very nice cars. It just depends on what you're looking for. There's more power in the SC400, but you'll be paying 1.5X the price, and not very likely getting 1.5X the car.

But as a project car, the SVX has very limited "off-the-shelf" aftermarket parts. So be perpared for frustrations in looking for performance parts for the SVX.

My 2 cents.

VK
92 Pearl LSL, 166k
Old 08-20-2001, 10:22 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Re: Ride, rattle, and rust

Allow me to answer the questions for you. BTW, I am Lwin. Nice to meet you.

<<The question is: which is the real SVX?
>>

The real SVX is the one with window and window feature -- It's hard to miss. On the other hand, the quality of a second hand (in some cases, 3rd or fourth) varies on the owner of the car. I have seen a 92 on the road (mike's) without a scratch while mine (94) has some dings and dents on the sides. Also, depending on the pervious owner of the car, it may or may not be maintained. So all that depends on the previous owner. Make sure you run a car fax report before you get it.

<<gravel trucks have turned into a washboard surface. The ride can be bad enough (particularly in the winter - and it gets really cold up here) to shake your fillings loose! I don't expect a smooth or quiet ride on this (even the SC400 took it badly, not so much in terms of the ride but in noise level where it "clunked" over every ripple) but has anyone any comments on how the SVX might handle this sort of surface?
>>

The other day, I drove on the shoulders for about 10 miles in Wisconsin -- I know.. I know... My car took it fine. It's not recommanded though. The car's handling in the rain is great. It's also great off road (not like an SUV) but it's amazing anyways. I drove down a steep slope (about 15%) the other day in Peroia, IL in a rainy day. You should have seen the control I had on my car. I was afraid of the on comming cars hitting me. I love the control of the SVX.

<<Has anyone on the board from areas where they use lots of road salt experienced problems?
>>

I am the 3rd owner of my car and the car has been in IL since it hit the US roads. In another words, my car has seen a ton of salt and crap on the IL interstates. Apart from the little dings on my hood, and a 1/4 pea size rust on the side(can't see unless you look for it real hard with magnifying glasses), it's rustless looks ok. I would like a repaint on my car one of these days though.

Hope this helps

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 08-22-2001, 06:18 AM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
<<The other day, I drove on the shoulders for about 10 miles in Wisconsin -- I know.. I know... My car took it fine.>>

Lwin, You came up through Racine and didn't tell us you were coming? tsk, tsk. Next time let me know and we'll get together for a quick bite.

As far as the road salt goes, My car has spent the last 210,000 miles (gosh, I love saying that) in Wisconsin which believes that dumping salt down is a road re-surfacing technique.

I have one minor spot that is starting near a scratch, but the underside of the car is in remarkably clean shape for a 10 year old car. I wouldn't worry about the salt wear on an SVX.

Welcome aboard!

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 08-22-2001, 09:39 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: Ride, rattle, and rust

Quote:
Originally posted by bljones
Hi
I'm new to this board and, perhaps not uniquely, I don't have an SVX. I am looking at a luxury sport coupe for next year to use as a project car/daily driver (but I will keep my 240SX as insurance). My choices seem to have come down to a 96/97 SVX or a 95/96 Lexus SC400. Both are extremely rare here in Winnipeg, Canada and, therefore, I haven't had the opportunity to test drive the SVX on the "test tracks" that I'm accustomed to use for other cars.

I have a few questions which maybe you guys can help answer for me.

1. I've driven 2 SVXs, both 92s, one with 60000 miles which was solid as a rock, and one with 130000 miles which was a rattletrap. A couple of reviews mentioned body squeaks on the 92s. The question is: which is the real SVX?

2. I regularly drive on a concrete slab highway which gravel trucks have turned into a washboard surface. The ride can be bad enough (particularly in the winter - and it gets really cold up here) to shake your fillings loose! I don't expect a smooth or quiet ride on this (even the SC400 took it badly, not so much in terms of the ride but in noise level where it "clunked" over every ripple) but has anyone any comments on how the SVX might handle this sort of surface?

3. Because of availability I will probably have to get an SVX brought in from distant parts. I am concerned that, if I consider cars from Eastern Canada (where they use enough road salt every winter to drain the Atlantic Ocean), I might find rust problems. I know that the body is galvanized but there are limits to what metal, however well protected, can withstand. Has anyone on the board from areas where they use lots of road salt experienced problems?

I'd greatly appreciate any info on these topics.
Thanks in advance.
Welcome aboard, Barry.

I'll try to answer your questions from my perspective.

1. My '93 has 123k miles on it and doesn't rattle at all. On the other hand, I tried to look at a '94 what wouldn't even start. It's all in how you take care of these cars. Well-maintained, the SVX is a fantastically reliable car.

2. I've driven my SVX over every kind of surface that its gorund clearance will allow. I lived in VT until December, and drove my SVX on many surfaces that I would guess might not be seen in many other parts of the country. I found the car to be comfortable and precise.

3. Again, I bought my car in VT. It has seen every winter since '93 so far. The only rust I've found on my SVX is in some of the exhaust components. Otherwise the body and underside of the car are very very clean.

I've never driven an SC400, although I would like to. I have not heard good things about its handling, and if you're in Canada I would expect that you'd really appreciate the SVX's AWD.

As rare as the SC is, I get the impression that its scarcity is a result of a not-so-perfect product. The SVX is extremely well-refined, and a car I enjoy every mile in.

Good luck choosing.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 08-22-2001, 08:44 PM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via ICQ to cocacola08 Send a message via AIM to cocacola08 Send a message via Yahoo to cocacola08
hmmm... my '94 seems to be getting more and more, rattles every so often, all at different rpms/speeds. Guess a car starts to fall apart when you have a wife that really doesn't care about cars, of and an infant in the back doesn't help when you try to keep it clean too.