How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 06-23-2003, 10:30 AM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
What's the deal with the closed threads?

Okay third time is a charm. I've tried to reply to each of the other two threads that I wanted to comment on but they are closed.

I don't disagree with them being closed, so much as I disagree with their presence. If a thread is so terrible that it needs to be closed, why keep it around? Especially in the case of the threads I wanted to reply to this morning, there is nothing of any value in there. It all started with one bad post and then all us "adult elite members" telling him his post was worded poorly, etc. If that had all been deleted I would have not even known it existed when I logged in this morning. Instead I wanted to reply to it to say to the moderators, "Quit making a big deal about it and just delete it!"

We need to quit having so many feuds out in the open for new members to see, and I think that goes for the moderation as well. If someone makes a post a moderator doesn't think is appropriate, maybe the moderator can just delete it instantly, and then follow up with the perpetrator in private (PM's). Why discipline him in public? Why keep the post in the open, whether locked or not, where it can just make those who disagree with him more angry with him?

As for those that aren't moderators: if you see a post you don't like, rather than feuding out in the open, use PM's. At the same time click the "report this post to moderator" button to request the post be reviewed and deleted.

If the thread for some reason has valuable info in it, most likely the first part of the thread was the good stuff and the moderator can just delete the bad posts from the end of it. Then lock it to keep it "good". But if you delete just the bad posts from it, chances are they won't return to the that thread because no one would see it and continue the arguement. Locking the thread probably wouldn't even be needed.

This in my opinion would make our site look better to outsiders and to the majority of us that log in at different times. If bad posts were deleted asap the majority of us would never see them and have not idea of the discipline and conflicts going on in PM's. And I bet if public arguing (the bad kind) were not seen, then it would be diminished in PM's too.

Along those lines, I will be deleting this post in 24 hours.

1992 SVX LSL "Serenity" 250,000 miles!

I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sky from me...

Last edited by WestCoastSVX; 06-23-2003 at 10:33 AM.
Old 06-23-2003, 10:40 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
I agree with you 100%, Troy. If I were a moderator, I would far prefer to delete those offending threads and deal with those involved in private. There's no reason other people need to see this crap - I just don't think it happens often enough that we need to make a public example of the people involved. And you're right, it only makes more people mad, and then those people start more angry threads.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 06-23-2003, 11:08 AM
Network Design Administrator

The only difference between God and a Moderator is that God does not think he is a Moderator...
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 06-23-2003, 11:10 AM
Hater

will someone please delete this thread.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 06-23-2003, 11:13 AM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
I agree with you 100%, Troy. If I were a moderator, I would far prefer to delete those offending threads and deal with those involved in private. There's no reason other people need to see this crap - I just don't think it happens often enough that we need to make a public example of the people involved. And you're right, it only makes more people mad, and then those people start more angry threads.

I agree.

Ron (being agreeable).

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 06-23-2003, 12:00 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by RSVX
The only difference between God and a Moderator is that God does not think he is a Moderator...
Look, all Troy is saying is that there's no reason to close those ridiculous threads and leave them up for people to read. I agree with him.

Is this a free country? Sure. Do messages like DamN's have any place on this board? No. They reflect poorly on this site and drive away members - both existing and potential.

Crap like that snowballs, and Mike was right to shut it down. I just happen to agree with Troy that if we deem something inappropriate enough to close it, then maybe it just needs to be deleted, as well. There was no useful info in those two threads that we couldn't do without.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 06-23-2003, 12:11 PM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

Look, all Troy is saying is that there's no reason to close those ridiculous threads and leave them up for people to read. I agree with him.

Is this a free country? Sure. Do messages like DamN's have any place on this board? No. They reflect poorly on this site and drive away members - both existing and potential.

Crap like that snowballs, and Mike was right to shut it down. I just happen to agree with Troy that if we deem something inappropriate enough to close it, then maybe it just needs to be deleted, as well. There was no useful info in those two threads that we couldn't do without.
I agree

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 06-23-2003, 12:20 PM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
Yep, Nick is nailing my thoughts right on.

Old 06-23-2003, 01:14 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
I feel that if someone who attacks me, calls me a f*cking idiot, and claims that I can't hold a steering wheel straight and keep a gas pedal down, I should have the right to defend myself. And I did. And Damn knows it.

What really pisses me off, is that I was BANNED from this forum originally, just for being 'unpopular'. I re-registered because I thought that was wrong, as I hadn't broken any rules, and it wasn't justifiable just to ban someone because they're unpopular.

Then this DAMN guy comes along and calls Phil and I f*cking idiots,a nd how stupid we are, bla bla bla, and that he has a mechanic friend and his SVX is fast.

And he ISNT banned?

Give me a break.

- Rob
Old 06-23-2003, 01:29 PM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
Rob - All I am saying is that if these sort of threads get deleted as soon as a moderator sees them, then there would be no need to defend yourself.

Case in point. Since you've already put yourself into this conflict I hope you don't mind me using you as an example.

There's a thread titled 'Chicano' that is basically aimed at you Rob. Before you had a chance to post (I think) one of our moderators posted and then locked the thread. Maybe I missed something and you did post and that one got deleted (but not the original one trying to start a fight?).

I'm assuming you didn't see that post before the moderator did. If the moderator had just deleted the post and then reprimanded Damn in private messaging, you would have never seen it. Likewise with the other two locked threads maybe.

Like Nick said, there is really no need to publicly reprimand these bad posts. Delete it immdiately and then send the guy a PM. By making a public show of it, you are just doing what the trolls want. We all know you are good moderators, we don't need to see you do your job. In fact, a really really good moderator is basically invisible and the public never realizes there is a problem.

Old 06-23-2003, 01:34 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Alright, now hear my opinion of the situation: Considering this sites history, of banning me because at one point I was unpopular (maybe I still am?), this NEWB comes in and called Phil (who made the first POST on this board, and a 5spd SVX owner) and I (also quasi respected here, judging on the PMs i get) "F*cking idiots" and insults both of us.

He should be banned. His topics should be deleted.

But seeing as how he isn't banned, and his topics are still around (while my response was deleted?!?), I don't see how this adds up.

Ban him. Delete his topics. End of story.

- Rob
Old 06-23-2003, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Chicane
Alright, now hear my opinion of the situation: Considering this sites history, of banning me because at one point I was unpopular (maybe I still am?), this NEWB comes in and called Phil (who made the first POST on this board, and a 5spd SVX owner) and I (also quasi respected here, judging on the PMs i get) "F*cking idiots" and insults both of us.

But seeing as how he isn't banned, and his topics are still around (while my response was deleted?!?), I don't see how this adds up.

- Rob
I agree with what you say. The problem is that the same people moderating here now, may or may not be the same ones that were moderating when you joined. You take your traffic ticket in front of two different judges, you may receive two different results.

There are rules that new accounts must agree to when they join and they are used to evaluate posts. However, being human, each moderator interprets them differently.

I don't know the answer, but I am glad the questions are being raised.

Doug
1994 LSi (4/93)

1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion

My Locker
Old 06-23-2003, 01:54 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

And I do respect the moderators around here, most people here are GREAT people... thats why it irks me that this guy can Phil and I names, be a general jerk, and not get banned.

- Rob
Old 06-23-2003, 01:59 PM

Quote:
And I do respect the moderators around here, most people here are GREAT people... thats why it irks me that this guy can Phil and I names, be a general jerk, and not get banned.

- Rob
They day's not over yet....

Doug
1994 LSi (4/93)

1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion

My Locker
Old 06-23-2003, 02:20 PM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
Quote:

- Rob
Rob - I'm with you as far as some of his posts and threads should be deleted. That's my point of this thread, that offensive posts and threads should just be deleted asap and not reprimanded in public and left for others to see them. As far as certain individuals being banned and such, that's kind of a different issue and I'll just echo what Doug said about it.

So to get this straight, on the 'chicano' thread, did you actually post to that one? And then your post was deleted?