How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2003, 12:11 PM

very o/t but asking for advice

i got my final grade for NUR 102. i failed my clinical. i made a few minor mistakes that failed me. after speaking to quite a few memebers of my class, they and i both agree that i was singled out. many of the students made just as many, if not more mistakes then i did in clinical (clinical being the time where we are in the hospital and deal with patients directly). now i have a few choices.

1. i can go back to school in september to Sussex co and have different teachers. this way i am not subject to being singled out. i have to repeat Nur 102. i will have new teachers and new hospitals to work at. then i will finish my education at that college, which is an hour away from my house.

2. i can go back to the same school i am at and have the same teachers again. i would have to wait until january for the second half of the semester. for september i would be doing criminal justice and get that degree since all i have to take is the classes for that, not the english and math.

3. over the summer i am planning on going to EMT school and joining my local rescue squad. i can forgo that and go to a 10wk nursing class in patterson which is like 2 hours from my house and try to pass again, then start in september in Nur 3 with the class i was with.

4. go to EMT school over the summer, go to school for criminal justice in september. finish that degree and start attending paramedic classes, but i need to be an emt for at least a year.

there is also combinations between the four that i can make. i don't know what to do. if i fail another semester of nursing class, i can never go back. i can also go to the head and express my concerns about being treated unfairly. then i take the chance of being treated unfairly whereever i go. i dunno, a little help here would be a big help

Kelli

sorry so long
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
owner of the new 1992 LS-L Pearl "Susie"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.
Old 05-09-2003, 12:30 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Kelli,
Which option "feels" the best to you? Go with your intuition. You're working on your future, so you want to go down a path that will be the most rewarding one.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 05-09-2003, 12:52 PM
Yeah, it's a poodle - so what?

Kelli, if you decide to go to the head with allegations of unfair treatment, you'll need to have something a little more concrete than your and other students' beliefs.

Officials of all kinds are accustomed to hearing that whoever is complaining to them got screwed through no fault of their own. Unfortunately, hearing this story so often seems to harden their hearts and close their ears to everyone, not just the whiners. That's why you need some pretty solid proof if you're going to take this to someone.

If you're interested in taking the bull by the horns, talk to the teacher(s) that failed you. Tell them that it appears to you that others made just as many mistakes, yet passed, and you'd like to know what went on SO THAT YOU CAN DO BETTER NEXT TIME (avoid the "You're out to get me, you SOB" approach). The explanations you get may prove you were right, or they may not. Either way, you'll know you took a mature and rational approach to what must be a painful situation, and you may learn something useful - then go on with your plans.

How badly do you want to be a nurse? If that's where your heart really is, I'd suggest that you take the route that seems to be the quickest and surest way to get there.

A wise man once said that when you don't know what to do, flip a coin - as soon as it's in the air, if you find yourself hoping it comes down a particular way, you'll know what your decision is.

Best wishes on all this, I know it's a disappointing situation to find yourself in.
2001 Outback Sport
Old 05-09-2003, 01:21 PM

i tried talking to the teachers that failed me. i told her that i saw other students making mistakes she just told me "we are not here to discuss other students"

this is the very first time i failed anything, except a test in 7th grade. it is very disheartening for me.

a concrete thing that i can put forth is that another student that failed for grades was offered the 10wk course, i was not by this teacher, i learned about it from the other student. not to mention, they put my mistakes in writting and most of them were a misunderstanding on the teachers part and when i tried to explain myself, i was just told that it is in writting and to sign here.

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.
Old 05-09-2003, 03:42 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally posted by SHISVX
i tried talking to the teachers that failed me. i told her that i saw other students making mistakes she just told me "we are not here to discuss other students"

this is the very first time i failed anything, except a test in 7th grade. it is very disheartening for me.

a concrete thing that i can put forth is that another student that failed for grades was offered the 10wk course, i was not by this teacher, i learned about it from the other student. not to mention, they put my mistakes in writting and most of them were a misunderstanding on the teachers part and when i tried to explain myself, i was just told that it is in writting and to sign here.

Kelli
go steal their wipers!

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 05-09-2003, 03:56 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
Ha.
Old 05-09-2003, 03:57 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Re: very o/t but asking for advice

Quote:
i got my final grade for NUR 102. i failed my clinical. i made a few minor mistakes that failed me. after speaking to quite a few memebers of my class, they and i both agree that i was singled out. ............
3. i can forgo that and go to a 10wk nursing class in patterson which is like 2 hours from my house

Kelli

sorry so long
It's never long when it means something.

You say you were singled out? Why?

Paterson is less that 1 hour away if you leave at 5:00 am.

John
Old 05-09-2003, 04:31 PM
FifthElement

If I feel I failed a class illegitimately, I'd have a talk with the instructor's superiors to see what can be done.

However, it sounds like your gripe is not that you failed, it's that others did not fail too. Sounds to me like you're admitting that you messed up somehow. If that's not the case, then fight the power.

Damn the man.

And yeah..haha..steal his wipers. I love it.
Old 05-09-2003, 06:36 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Kelli,

I am with Dick here. Teachers are human, not above victimisation. However, most of them regard themselves as educators, if you rubbed them the wrong way, you will have to fix this before next attempt.

If you really feel a change of school will give you a clean chance, then go for it. However, it may also require a change in approach or attitude from you, and only you can decide what is needed here.

Listen to your heart. Flip the imaginary coin. If you really want to nurse, you will do so well the next time round, that no teacher can deny you.

Best of luck with it, I know you will decide what's best, and make that decision work for you.

Joe

PS Whatever you decide, do not regard the last year/semester as a waste of time. Just make sure you use the learning experience it gave you, to make you a better person or nurse or both.
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 05-09-2003, 09:25 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Thumbs up

I basically agree with Dick. Try to keep one thing in perspective. You're only 21. You don't HAVE to commit to any one career right now.
You mentioned working or training as a paramedic. Would this kind of experience not help mentally solidify (or erase) your true dedication to serving humanity, regardless of the headaches & personal clashes that you'll face in the long run?
If, after experiencing "life on the streets", it may be easier to endure the learning process, & the sometimes unbearable people who stand in the way of your dream.
Keep on truckin'

Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 05-10-2003, 12:58 AM
SVX Black Belt Master

First, I don't know what things are like where you live, but around here, EMT's don't make squat, compared to RN's.

Go for the RN. If, by some act of God (that's what it would take to fail you again) you don't make it, then you can go for the EMT.

All the best!
'02 Black Sapphire Volvo V40, 133K - "Shadowfax"
'06 Triumph Tiger, 19K
'99 Suzuki DR350SE, 8.5K - "Geezer Killer"
<*}}}}>< ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ><{{{{*>
Old 05-10-2003, 04:59 AM
Hater

i know around here there's a shortage of nurses. you'd need an agent to wade through the offers and negotiate a contract with a nice signing bonus.

1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 05-10-2003, 05:11 AM

i am not the only one that failed the class. there were two others that failed, one for grades and the other because they didn't do all of the assigned work.

heres what i think i am going to do

have a talk with the head person of the dept. go for my emt this summer, get the 6 college credits, go back to school in september, go get my degree in criminal justice, and go on to get my paramedic. then maybe go back to nursing, maybe.

i had personality clashes with the professor from the first day of class. i am not the only one that saw it.

Kelli

ps, i wouldn't steal her wipers, i would rip the fabric off of her car top!
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
Old 05-10-2003, 07:09 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
Quote:
i am not the only one that failed the class. there were two others that failed, one for grades and the other because they didn't do all of the assigned work.

heres what i think i am going to do

have a talk with the head person of the dept. go for my emt this summer, get the 6 college credits, go back to school in september, go get my degree in criminal justice, and go on to get my paramedic. then maybe go back to nursing, maybe.

i had personality clashes with the professor from the first day of class. i am not the only one that saw it.

Kelli

ps, i wouldn't steal her wipers, i would rip the fabric off of her car top!
Kelli, hate to say it but talking with the department head will do nothing but put you on the "troublemaker" list. It also sounds like you are not hell bent on being a nurse or you would not be ready to give it up that easily. Take a few days and try not to dwell on it just to clear your head, then sit down with yourself and figure out where your priorities truly lie. If you decide nursing is where you really want to be then I think option #3 is the way to go. You love driving your SVX anyway.

While getting a degree in criminal justice will get you that all important piece of paper (doesn't seem to matter what your major was as long as you have one for something) it will also do nothing more than delay getting any degree in the medical industry, which is where it seems you really wanted to be, whether it be as a nurse or EMT. The best thing to do is to follow your heart and follow your dream no matter the obstacles. As long as you are doing what you love and love what you are doing, all the rest will fall into place. Good luck!

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.
Old 05-10-2003, 04:22 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Quote:
Oh wow. I really feel for you on that one. I would hope that most teachers would realize their there to teach and that isn't just class material. I do not think much of teachers that cannot resolve personality problems with students. They are in a position of power, as they give out the grades, and all to often they will use that power to take advantage of a situation.

Long Live The Klingons