How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 05-08-2003, 04:58 AM
wantaSVX

How is the SVX as an over all car?

ok its my first post so i would like to say hi to everyone on the fourm.

Ok right now im driving a 92 Toyota MR2 n/a and i really want to sell it for a car that can seat more then 2 people. i found a SVX for sale in my price range and i have done some info gathering on the car and they seem to be a really nice and rare care. but how are they over all as a daily driver?

will it break down or over heat?
does it cost and arm or a leg to replace parts for it?
how is mounthly insurence payments?
is it a good ride? (smoothness ect. ect.)

and all that good stuff

P.S. the car im looking at has 99k on it is that to much?
Old 05-08-2003, 05:16 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

FANTASTIC
Old 05-08-2003, 05:45 AM
Fighting with electricity

Send a message via AIM to SVX10 Send a message via Yahoo to SVX10
Unbelieveable

As you've probably found out in your research, the car has problems with the transmission overheating, and rear wheel bearings going out. The transmission is expensive, even for a transmission, to replace, and the bearings depend alot upon your local Subaru prices...I guess all the repairs do, though. Brake rotors also tend to warp under heavy braking. That's not too expensive to repair, and aftermarket brake parts are fairly ample for the SVX (rotors, braided ss lines, pads...).

BUT....

The SVX is an unbeatable daily driver, if you take care of it. 0-60 is decent (7-9 seconds, depending upon year and tranny), top speed is impressive. I've never been there, but I can say that it still had plenty left at 135. The ride is VERY smooth and DEAD silent, so it's really nice to drive around in. Even though the automatic 4EAT does have a troublesome history in this car, it performs wonderfully when it's working. The shifts are smooth, but still relatively quick. There is a newly developed shift kit for $35ish that can quicken shifts even more. Downshifting shows almost no hesitation like many cars. If you don't like autos, you can have it converted to 5 speed for anywhere from $900 (do it yourself) to about $3000 (WRX 5 speed with lower cruising RPMs).

Trust me, when you're pulling 90 at 3k RPM and you still can't hear a thing, you'll love it too. I really think the seats are comfy, but I know some people don't. Personal preference there. If you get the touring package, the stereo is good, but there are plenty of options for upgrading. Then, the icing on the cake, you can drive this thing in a foot of snow and be fine. It has a 2nd gear start that kicks ssa on slippery starts, and the AWD does a good job of keeping the car on the road.

Don't even get started on the attention the car gets. People are always looking, they ask about the windows, all kinds of stuff.

Really, it is an amazing car, and I'm sure people here have more to add.

Oh, monthly insurance is the same on the SVX as it is on my mom's 96 Legacy (not too bad).
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

I don't care if Subaru says it's STI...it will always be STi to me
Old 05-08-2003, 07:07 AM

Over all its a good car and if taking care of will offer reliable servce. parts are less expensive online. and find a subaru specalty shop that can work on what you wont do yourself. I supply the parts when dealer does the work and when the specalty shop does work they supply the parts but its 40/hour instead of 70/hour.over 100'000 miles of hard use I've expereinceda maintainance cost of .045 cents per mile. 300'000 miles shouldn't be a problem. mine presently has 240'000. the passenger seat is not as comfortable as the drivers seat since it isn't as adjustable. Last summer my family of four put on 10'000 miles from ME to CA and back during a 41 day cross country vacation.
Old 05-08-2003, 07:49 AM
From POST-***** to LURKER

I have a friend that is very experienced with MR2's...... My advice to ya, from him, is to get rid of the N/A MR2... It is plagued with all types of problems... The turbo MR2 is alot less troublesome.... But anyway about the SVX.,.... Yea, if you found one I think that you should get it!!! you'll love it, especially in the winter tiime when everyone gets stuck in the snow!!!! There is nothing quite like driving by a big 4x4 truck that is stuck in the snow, and you are having no problem getting around in a sports car!!! Cool!!!! I am doing the 5-speed swap here in a few weeks... Tell ya how it is, but if ya want to know now ask Phast SVX, huck369, elninoalex, SubaFreak.... They have the 5 speed in their cars already.... I can't wait... I've had my car for about 2 years now and have only put 4,000miles on it.... I love it to much to drive it ....

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 05-08-2003, 07:51 AM
From POST-***** to LURKER

See if there are any SVX owners near ya that will be willing to go and look at the car for ya before ya buy it..... That will help ya out alot... Good luck

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 05-08-2003, 08:32 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
First of all, welcome to the nutty Network! You've just entered the twili . . . uhm, the greatest group of SVX owners on the planet.

I've been driving my SVX (one or the other of them) for four years now. If you get a car that was well maintained, it will treat you well. My commute is 80 miles per day, round trip. I drive the SVX every day. It has made the commute enjoyable as opposed to vehicles that I've driven prior.

A few years ago, my wife and I took nearly a 4K mile trip through 13 states, driving the SVX. My wife said it was the most comfortable auto tour she'd ever taken. For her to give such a glowing testimony is proof positive that it is a smooth and comfortable car.

I will admit to begin a little more than obsessed with the car, but, I feel, for good reason.

I only hope you have the good fortune to get a good SVX. As with all cars, you can get a great one, or you can buy problems. You pays your money and you takes your chances. Your level of dedication to maintaining the car to the point of personal enjoyment, will be the true test of whether it is worth your investment.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 05-08-2003, 09:03 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
When I bought my SVX, it had 95k on it. I drove it as my daily driver for a little over two years, and 30k miles, before I retired it to the garage as a weekend toy. Over those two years it was flawless and I miss driving it to work every day.

I can't stress enough the following two points:

1. Find one that's been taken care of. An SVX is really easy to fall in love with - even one that's been thrashed - but it's worth your time, effort and money to find one that was well-maintained.

2. They're not cheap to maintain. If you let stuff slide or ignore preventative maintenance on any car, it'll punish you with repair costs. On the SVX, this is an expensive proposition.

I wish you the best of luck.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 05-08-2003, 10:42 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXPILOT
Last summer my family of four put on 10'000 miles from ME to CA and back during a 41 day cross country vacation.
No complaints form the back seat riders? They must be small people.
Old 05-08-2003, 10:58 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Re: How is the SVX as an over all car?

<<but how are they over all as a daily driver?>>
GREAT!!!

<<will it break down or over heat?>>
Tranny can... if you drive it hard. If you drive it fast, the car will love you. In another word, you can drive it fast but not hard.

<<does it cost and arm or a leg to replace parts for it?>>
Depends on the parts. Some sure yeah but most of them are ok.

<<how is mounthly insurence payments?>>
For my 94, I just paid 400 bucks for 6 months full insurance.

<<is it a good ride? (smoothness ect. ect.)>>
Can't ask for better at this time. I am always looking for improving it and perfection though.

<<P.S. the car im looking at has 99k on it is that to much?>>
Nope. Mine has over 200k and running great. Many people on the board has SVXes with over 200k.
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 05-08-2003, 11:22 AM
Either committed, or should be

Send a message via ICQ to thumper_svx Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_svx
Registered SVX
I no longer own an SVX, mostly due to practical concerns (kids, no back doors etc.), but I have owned two of them so far.

My feeling is that the SVX is a fabulous daily driver that I truly enjoyed owning. Maintenance costs are not too much of a headache so long as you stay on top of the routine maintenance (oil changes, belts and so forth). I would put 100-200 miles PER DAY on my car during my really busy times (I work on the road) and it held up beautifully.

Now some caveats:

1. The SVX has been out of production for some time (since early 1997), so the youngest SVX you can buy is already 6 years old. That's old for a vehicle... remember the phrase in Armageddon about the Russian space-station having been in orbit for 11 years; "... most of us don't have cars that old."

2. Parts are relatively easy to come by if you know where to look... but some components ARE specific to the SVX and can bring down a serious premium for replacement parts.

3. Transmissions ARE a weak point. Either find one that's never had a rebuild, or one that's had a recent rebuild and invest in a transmission cooler! I had a cooler on my second SVX and the only part of the transmission that failed on me was the AWD which necessitated a not-too-expensive but month-long repair. (most of that month was spent waiting for parts) My transmission internal temperatures though were excellent once I got the airflow to the cooler properly.

4. The "support network" for SVX owners is EXCELLENT. Among the best I've seen in a vehicle. My current car (an Acura TL) has an "Internet presence", but still the friendships and support I've built up in the SVX community over the years have been incredible... even if certain people in this forum won't return my private mails <ahem>

All in all, yes the SVX is a great car for a daily driver, but bear in mind that there are some caveats you'll have to deal with. Also, be prepared to answer a dozen people in the first two weeks asking you "What kind of car's that?"

Thumper.
Old 05-08-2003, 12:31 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by thumper_svx
remember the phrase in Armageddon about the Russian space-station having been in orbit for 11 years; "... most of us don't have cars that old."

Not to be contridictory, but, "most of us" on this board drive '92's (11 year old cars).
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 05-08-2003, 01:39 PM
StaceyVX

I LOVE MY CAR!!!
I think it's an awesome looking car for being 11 years old. People think it's new. And it's been more than 2 weeks that I've had mine (almost a month) and people STILL ask what kind of car it is. That's awesome, too, because I have a car that is rarely seen on the road and it leaves people wondering. I look forward to driving it everytime and I even find myself wanting to drive it for no reason. The only thing I miss about my old car (a Saturn) is that it got great mileage and took the cheapest gas, but the SVX is definitely worth it.

Like I said, I haven't had my car that long, but I think as long as I stay routine with all the oil changes and such, it will be fine. My best advice would be to get one that already had the trans replaced. And oh, 99K isn't that bad for mileage. If taken care of well, these engines can last up to 500K or more. So basically, 100K on an SVX is like having around 10K on a domestic car.

Good luck and I hope that you get a SVX and fall in love like the rest of us.

Last edited by StaceyVX; 05-08-2003 at 01:44 PM.
Old 05-08-2003, 01:52 PM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
I love my SVX and I miss it whenever I am in any other car. Period.
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 05-08-2003, 05:19 PM
wantaSVX

Thank you very much for all the comments i see that this fourm will be very, VERY helpful if i end up getting the car i still to talk to the guy about the SVX and sell my car :P . but from all these comments i think im really going to get this car if its in good condition. and hopfuly next time you see me post it will be under a differnt name