How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 03-01-2003, 07:25 PM
not just a fan, a Member!

svx.....

for the first time in 6 months of owning the svx, the expense fatigue is kicking in.... this is one expensive car to maintain. thoughts have been entering my mind about giving up and finding something lighter, more 'reliable,' and peppy.... the role the svx was bought to play was the second car, the project, the fun ride, the go out car.... but slowly and surely the svx asserts itself as the number 1 expense on my bills....

perhaps someone on the board was right, this is an expensive toy, better to be left with people with ways to pay for it....

is it time to get a quick fix on the auto and sell to move on to a..... 240sx?

sigh...
mrspyder: gotta have a drop top in cali...

always looking for a reliable 5spd svx...
Old 03-01-2003, 07:28 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001
if your going with a 240 sx stay with the svx! However if your going with a 300zx then i'd say yeah maybe you should. Out of curiosity why the 240sx?
chris
Old 03-01-2003, 07:34 PM
Alcyone SVX LSL

If you are comparing the 240 to a SVX i am confused... a RWD 4cyl car that is very nice for the price to a AWD H-6 rare car...just doesnt make sence. Must say the 240 is a very nice car i had a friend in FL with one that was the most amazing 240 on the planet. But i am sticking with the SVX will always have one..selling the current one and making $1300 by selling it, i dont see them as a very expencive car...sunk more money into my '87 NX than the SVX so far
Old 03-01-2003, 07:41 PM

i don't even know how the 240sx came up.... just browsing ebaymotors and saw a nice nx for sale.... then went to autotrader and saw the 240sx for sale... that's all....

Old 03-01-2003, 08:38 PM
Green1995SVX

The 240 is a nice car with lots of potential. I have some friends with them, and they are very fun cars. Pretty nice interior too. Watch for frame rust as that was a very serious problem on them.

I agree that if you don't have the money to support the svx's maintnence, you might be better off selling it to someone with the funds to back up the maintenance costs. I hate to see svx's being run into the ground due to financial concerns.

Best of luck to you,

Mike
Old 03-02-2003, 11:10 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
I too would hate to see anyone give up a car they love so much do to maintenance probs. I would think that once you fixed the handful of issues you woul be good to go for some time. There really is not much to break on an SVX other than the few problems we all have. If your's is having more problems then you might have bought a poor example. Shame to lose another SVXer do to a bad apple. Whatever you do I cunderstand, though. You gotta do what you gotta do and sometimes that means sacrifices one way or the other.

Best of luck no matter which way you go.

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.
Old 03-02-2003, 04:44 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
If you are getting rid of the SVX, please let me know first. I know your SVX. I may take it off your hands.

L
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 03-02-2003, 05:04 PM

sure lwin, if i am going to let it go, i'll let you know first....
after a bizarre weekend, and getting a recommendation from a friend about a tranny shop, i'm going to go through with negotiations with them to see if all can be kept within budget. (i.e. about 1000 to todd for parts, and around 1500max for labor) i'm using huck's instructions as the blueprint of representing what i want done. if all goes well, i think it would be a good thing for the midwest svxers thinking about the swap, cuz then there would be a good shop to go to.

i just kinda figured that just when i was going through some tough times, the svx was going through some tough times... and now that my life seems to be coming together again, i want the svx to get a new life too.... (bonding with the car haha)

wish me luck... that talks will go well and that i'll be taking my svx to the shop next weekend...

me... for now...

Old 03-02-2003, 05:12 PM

The 240sx is a pretty good car. My brother has a red 92 240sx se 5 speed. I used to drive it,b4 I got my svx. Parts are relatively cheap for it, and its very easy to maintain. But, its pretty slow. And, it has crappy traction, especialy in the snow.
Old 03-02-2003, 05:18 PM

on yeah, on the note about the 240sx.... just found out last week that i will have work this summer... my saving right now should be able to revive the svx... depending on how much i make this summer, perhaps i'll roll in a rwd something to play with as well...