How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 06-27-2002, 09:28 AM
EverclearAtMSU

would this hurt my svx

I've heard a lot of things about pulling the resistor. And I want to do it, but I dont want it to shift hard all the time, every now and then I would like to have the nice smooth shift. So I was thinking putting a switch in, up the resistor is in place; down, it's bi passed. I remember someone saying that the computer is going to have to get used to it. So if i was turning it on and off, would that cause my car to have issues?
Old 06-27-2002, 12:20 PM
museumquality

Talking

you may need to de-frag your mainboard often and perhaps if problems - find yourself reformating the main computer as well. (kd)

i asked a couple since my last post on this subject and though with out complete knowledge on this, they recommended not to do this. it could cause problems to the system as the computer was not designed to do so. remember each time you pull the resistor you will need to run the car for a few minutes, then shut down and restart for the computer to properly dial in this new configuration.
i recommend removing resistor permanently, and getting used to the "sport" setting as we call it. if you have decided to do this the reason may be because you seek performance vs pleasant shifts. you just need to decide which is more important to you and make your move.
Old 06-27-2002, 01:41 PM

i pulled my resistor yesterday, and while it's very subtle, there is indeed a difference.. it's not as not-smooth as one would think, but the difference is there.

i notice "auto-shifting" from 2 to 3, there isn't as big a lag as there used to be.
Old 06-28-2002, 03:22 PM
gcookaustin

Is there maybe a way to put in a "different" resistor, so that maybe it's not too hard and not too smooth? I'm not sure how the system is set up. It might blow something up; I don't know.
Old 06-28-2002, 03:38 PM
museumquality

Quote:
Originally posted by gcookaustin
Is there maybe a way to put in a "different" resistor, so that maybe it's not too hard and not too smooth? I'm not sure how the system is set up. It might blow something up; I don't know.
when you say "it" may blow something up. what "it" are you refering to?

no you can not put another resistor in place. unless you are a subaru tech with access to all specs (tolerances) on whats required. and have additional knowledge in electronics, and are willing to experiment with different tolerances and power ratings.

i was told by a very reputable source to pull the resistor, do so by trial, if you feel that its performing more harm than good, then keep the stock connection.

track runners, nitrous shots, turbos, and hard drivers. you what to keep that trans as cool as possible. pulling the resistor is #1 in doing so.
Old 06-28-2002, 04:59 PM
gcookaustin

Quote:
Originally posted by museumquality

when you say "it" may blow something up. what "it" are you refering to?

no you can not put another resistor in place. unless you are a subaru tech with access to all specs (tolerances) on whats required. and have additional knowledge in electronics, and are willing to experiment with different tolerances and power ratings.
Well, by "it" I mean if you plug in a different resistor and you hear a large "boom" and there are transmission parts all over the driveway. I wasn't sure if just simply having a resistor means that you have a certain line pressure, or if the line pressure is a function of the resistance, or if the TCU or whatever thinks about the resistance (i.e. X resistance = Y line pressure)
Old 06-28-2002, 05:17 PM
museumquality

if you ask a dealer mech, they will just say leave as factory.
i stated this before in another thread. there are no guarrantees either way. we do know the stock option is a threat to our drive train. It is a fact that the clutches are controlled to deliver a soft transition between gears and the controller is the resistor.

this comes back to - try it - if it feels right go with it.
as far as tech data, i hve nothing formal to share, just a trans expert advise.
Old 06-28-2002, 05:27 PM

I haven't tried this on my newly rebuilt tranny, but on my old one I tried values from 8 to 16 ohms after the orignal failed (for the record, I tried, 8, 10, 12, 15, and 16).

Alldata says the factory spec is 9 to 15 (with I think the real value being about 10.5).

I couldn't tell any difference (between one resistor and another), but then there was no controlled testing involved, just me driving around town. Your mileage may vary.
Old 06-28-2002, 06:03 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
If you're certain that this is a path you want to go down try calling these guys and see if the Nissan part will apply to the 4EAT/

http://www.bulkparts.com/MM007.ASP?pageno=175