Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 06-19-2002, 09:41 PM

Exclamation I Need Some Serious Help Here!!!!

Long story. I had a Kenwood excelon headunit installed by a car-fi shop a couple months ago. I just recently bought a sub and an amp. My boyfriend installed it and it works fine. But when he put my headunit back in the dash, the headunit stopped working. He checked all the wiring, and the headunit still doesn't work. The amp powers up though on startup, so there is a signal going through the remote wire, even though the headunit doesn't turn on. Also, another thing I noticed is my climate control, and all interior lights do not work. My lights on my dash for park, reverse, 1st, etc work, along with my highbeam light, and turnsignals and stuff. My instrument lights don't work, and also, my dash lights like climate control and others don't work. However, the window switches light up, and also, the foglight switch lights up. We checked some of the fuses, and other small things, but had no luck. Any suggestions from you guys would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 06-19-2002, 10:01 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Hi, sorry to hear about your problem.

Sounds like a fuse may have popped...now would be a good time to check all your fuses!

Hope you find the problem!
Old 06-19-2002, 10:08 PM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
Perhaps the dimmer wire got shorted? When you say the AMP powers up on startup, do you mean when the car is turned on, or when you try to turn on the radio? If the AMP turns on as soon as the key is turned whether the radio is on or off, then he wired it wrong or pinched a wire. There are a couple of sharp spots back there.

The first thing to do is to unplug and take out the head. Then make sure there are no shorts from the wires to the chassis. Once you get everything working (check fuses too), then try and put the radio back in.

KuoH
Old 06-19-2002, 11:15 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Looks like a fuse has died. I had seen that happen before on my 94. Check all your fuses inside and out and also on your head unit. I made a mistake of running around like a chicken with it's head chopped off once for 2 hours trying to figure out why my stereo was not powering up.

Good luck

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 06-20-2002, 07:27 AM
EverclearAtMSU

i do that allll the time. have to add something to the sterio, want to hear some music while i'm working, it's hanging out of it's hole and i'm attaching more wires to it, lil pop and it goes dead, go to my fuse drawer, pop another one in and keep going

one thing that I really liked is that the 12v constant has a fuse in the engine bay, not hidden away or as a fusible link. *still finding more reasons why I love my subbie*
Old 06-20-2002, 08:16 AM

Well the fuses are only located behind the driver side kickpanel and under the hood behind the batter correct? Also, how can you tell if a Relay went bad? He's going to check the fuses in a couple minutes.

Also, the amp only powers on when the ignition is turned on. Just to clarify.

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 06-20-2002, 08:31 AM
EverclearAtMSU

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXGIRL182
Well the fuses are only located behind the driver side kickpanel and under the hood behind the batter correct? Also, how can you tell if a Relay went bad? He's going to check the fuses in a couple minutes.

Also, the amp only powers on when the ignition is turned on. Just to clarify.

Thanks for the help guys!
correct. the fuse your looking for should be in the kick pannel. May as well just look at them all.

the amp should only turn on when the ignition is on, otherwise you'll be having problems If you really want you can twist the red and yellow wires together, then it will always be on, kiss your battery good bye though
Old 06-20-2002, 10:19 AM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
The amp should only turn on when the ignition AND radio is turned on. If it's on with just one or the other, then there's a wiring issue that should be resolved.

KuoH
Old 06-20-2002, 12:55 PM

Ok, he fixed it. It was a 20amp fuse for the mirror light and something else, which was located in the kick panel. And a 10 amp fuse under the hood for the clock. It works now. Thanks for the help. The remote wire is correctly wired. It only turns on when the headunit is on. Thanks again!