How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 06-17-2002, 06:10 AM
ravi

help with head unit and a sad news

hey guys, I need some help and I got very sad news for me and for you all. It seems like the trasmission on my svx is almost dead. I think in another 15 or 30 days it will be dead. That's why I am selling it tomorrow. Another reason is the insurace is too high. I fell in love with it, but I have to let it go for now. I have made promise to myself that as soon as I get out of college, I will buy another SVX.
Anyways, here is I need help with. Few of my frineds got a alpine stero installed in SVX for my b'day. Since it was a gift, I wanna take it out and put the stock one back in. Since I didn't install the stero, I don't know the wiring that my frineds done. I can take the stereo out, but I don't know how to wire it back. I think the connectors that come with stock, my frineds took them out. So can somebody please explain me in detail how to wire it back in.
One more thing, my heat shield is making noise. I don't want it to make noise when I take it to auction. Can you guys tell me where it is and how can I fix it.
thanks
ravi.

Last edited by ravi; 06-17-2002 at 06:23 AM.
Old 06-17-2002, 09:00 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
There are several heat shields on the exhaust system, get under the car and tap on each one to find the lose one, then either remove it completely, of I have seen people use large hose clamps to tighten them up.

As for the stereo.....Have your friends wire it back up, since they butchered the stock wire harness If you don't have the plug for the back of the stock unit, you probably can't wire it back in(without great pains, anyway)

Sorry to hear you're selling, guess you're not yet willing to take the pains
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 06-17-2002, 09:03 AM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
<<One more thing, my heat shield is making noise. I don't want it to make noise when I take it to auction.>>

Are you interested in selling it here or ar eyou trying to sell it without anyone noticing the tranny?

This would make a great 5 spd project car for the right price...

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 06-17-2002, 08:16 PM
ravi

I thought about making it 5 speed, but it can give me more problems later on, so I think it's better for me to sell it right now. I will be going to college and living on campus, so I wouldn't need it so much. My girlfrined will miss it a lot too becuase we have gone everywhere in it. She loves it (but she hates it when I talk about svx, not her, you know womens).
Anyways, tomorrow will be last day to on SVX.
I will be still here and keep posting on the site. And yeah, in three year, I would have a SVX again.
Old 06-17-2002, 08:51 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Sorry to see her go Ravi. I just want those seats bud.

Good luck

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:•2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 06-17-2002, 09:17 PM
ravi

well, I am gonna have to sell the car with the seats, unless you want to whole car.
Old 06-18-2002, 09:36 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
I drove Ravi's car not too long ago, checking out possible bearing noise and tranny shifting. The tranny seemed strong at the time, no slipping between shifts and no hesitation when going into drive and reverse from park/neutral.

Then all of a sudden he installs a tranny cooler and 10 days later it seems his tranny goes south. Could he have installed it backwards? Just seems like too much of a coincidence...

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 06-18-2002, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by svxcess
I drove Ravi's car not too long ago, checking out possible bearing noise and tranny shifting. The tranny seemed strong at the time, no slipping between shifts and no hesitation when going into drive and reverse from park/neutral.

Then all of a sudden he installs a tranny cooler and 10 days later it seems his tranny goes south. Could he have installed it backwards? Just seems like too much of a coincidence...
I have a 92 with 148k miles. According to SOA, i have the original tranny and they did the recall a while back. Tranny shifts fine. My thought on tranny cooler -- if it is working, don't touch it.

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Old 06-18-2002, 12:45 PM
Green1995SVX

My car has the original tranny in it too. But, it has been rebuilt 2 times by a private shop. How do you know this is not the case with yours?

-Mike

Quote:
Originally posted by Seraph

I have a 92 with 148k miles. According to SOA, i have the original tranny and they did the recall a while back. Tranny shifts fine. My thought on tranny cooler -- if it is working, don't touch it.

Lwin
Old 06-18-2002, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Green1995SVX
My car has the original tranny in it too. But, it has been rebuilt 2 times by a private shop. How do you know this is not the case with yours?

-Mike

Cause the dealer check it out (inside out) and make sure to tell me if it was rebuilt. Also rebuilt tranny feels different compare to a regular tranny. I had my 94 rebuilt three times and the last one was the SOA tranny from the dealer. I also drove a 94AWD with a local shop rebuilt and a 96 with original tranny at the dealerships. I can tell the difference when it is shifting and such.

Lwin
Old 06-18-2002, 09:29 PM
ravi

hey john - they tranny was dying, that was the reason I put the tranny cooler in it. One time I was driving it, and it was smoking when I stopped. That time I decided to put tranny cooler at last and I guess becuase of tranny cooler, tranny is still running.

anyways, tomorrow will be the last day to drive her, after that I will get next one after 3 years. I hate to let her go. Hey but I will keep posting.
Old 06-18-2002, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ravi
hey john - they tranny was dying, that was the reason I put the tranny cooler in it. One time I was driving it, and it was smoking when I stopped. That time I decided to put tranny cooler at last and I guess becuase of tranny cooler, tranny is still running.

anyways, tomorrow will be the last day to drive her, after that I will get next one after 3 years. I hate to let her go. Hey but I will keep posting.
How do you know it's the tranny and not the engine? Did you see any leaks?

Lwin
Old 06-19-2002, 08:11 PM
ravi

Lwin - the smoke was coming out of the the tranny. The tranny extends out of engine, the smoke was coming out of there. Anyways, I just gave my car today in auction and probably it will be sold tomorrow, and I don't know the price it's gonna sell at. well, when I sell it tomorrow, I will let everybody know how much I sold it for.
well, it was my last day today driving SVX, I guess I will get next one after couple of years, but hey, I will try to buy a SVX as soon as possible.