How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 05-22-2006, 06:35 PM
Ren-Ma Osu

Hi Dan,

Yes, I read about the crap that bum is putting you through. I hope you get things settled. There must be some way to make it happen.

I found a red 1996 SVX with 60K on eBay that sold for 4100. It was on Long Island and I contacted the guy so I could take a look at it. It turned out that he works at the same company my wife works at. He was too busy for me to drive it or take it to a mechanic before the auction ended. I was able to see it at a parking lot while he was at a meeting -- not drive it just see it. The body was nice, but the interior had a lot of vinyl flaking and was full of dog hair. The car had some tranny trouble that may have been a solenoid c. The guy told me a new tranny would cost 1,800 at Subaru -- which I didn't believe. I called his Subaru dealer and eventually found out it would be much more. I'm glad I didn't go further because it didn't feel right. It was weird traveling so far to buy a car. Based on what the local Subaru dealer told me I felt it was worth the gamble. So far I've driven about 600 miles without troubles. Tomorrow I'm getting the new seats. I took the passenger and rear seat out. I think I'd like to remove the ugly SVX decal on the sides. It would be cool if I could find a cheap place that does good work to repaint the car the same color and freshen it up. Maybe I could do it next spring.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:53 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
Brief thing on them decals...if you peel them off youll still see them, due to the nice clean paint underneath...thought Im sure it wont show up as much on the laguna blue as the infamous for fading barcelona red
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 05-24-2006, 06:46 AM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Dan,

Congrats on your beautiful SVX purchase. I have seen that car advertised on autotrader and I currently live in Charlottesville, VA. One quick question - which alignment shop did the Subaru dealer send your car to that did the sloppy work?

If I had known someone was going to be picking up an SVX in my town last week, I would have come out and met you. Your story about our local DMV is so true - what an over-crowded and under-staffed place that is! I'm no longer an SVX owner, but now drive an '06 WRX.

Enjoy the drive!!!

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 05-24-2006, 06:36 PM
Ren-Ma Osu

Hi Chike,

The alignment was done at Jenkins. They could be fine for all I know. But they have a lot of attitude, don't like to answer questions, their place is dirty, and the people that work there make you feel uncomfortable. They play this little game where you ask them something and they pretend not to hear you. Worse they kept me waiting for over 2-hours and didn't let the Subaru dealer know when the car was ready, even though I had a 7-hour return drive ahead of me. Sheesh! The Subaru dealer charged me 69.99 for the alignment.
Old 05-25-2006, 08:07 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSVX96
Hi Chike,

The alignment was done at Jenkins. They could be fine for all I know. But they have a lot of attitude, don't like to answer questions, their place is dirty, and the people that work there make you feel uncomfortable. They play this little game where you ask them something and they pretend not to hear you. Worse they kept me waiting for over 2-hours and didn't let the Subaru dealer know when the car was ready, even though I had a 7-hour return drive ahead of me. Sheesh! The Subaru dealer charged me 69.99 for the alignment.
Dan,

Jenkins has a notorious reputation in this town. I drive 40 minutes towards Harrisonburg to get my car aligned at Central Tire - much better service. Glad you made it home safely. Congrats on the purchase.

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 06-09-2006, 10:36 PM
A mom with style ;-)

Send a message via Yahoo to momzsvx
Wink Nice car Dan!

This Sunday, I will be looking at two SVX's one is a 1994 LSI that is 7 hrs out of my way as well as a 1992 LS-L that is an hour and a half. Both are about the same price just a $200 dollar diff. I have a 1992 SVX LS-L that I have purchased for $300.00 this past April. The car will be my parts car. The 1994 has over 100,000. miles on it but its the one I am aiming for. What should I look for to differ the better deal? I have never driven one before and I am looking forward to it. How long would the 1994 last me as engine wise? I have no clue about cars except I have always wanted one when I first seen them.

92 LS-L parts
94-LSi My baby
95-(AWD) polo green T-Boned
Old 06-10-2006, 03:56 AM
One teal and One yellow

Dan,
Congrat on your purchase. Car looks great. Nice to read your purchasing adventure. I had a lot of adventures too while getting my yellow one. I drove that yellow thingy with brake leaks, PS leaks and gasoline leaks!!! for 500miles back to my town. Glad that I was alive and made it. Last weekend, I was just around flushing area in NY with my yellow svx. We could have a meet with other svx members around...maybe next time. You took your effort to get this car and hope you will enjoy many happy miles with her.

Monzsvx,
SVX engines would last long if you don't abuse and take good care of it. One of my SVXes has 144K on the engine(yr 92), I drove to two long trips in 1.5 months. My engine doesn't burn oil and oil still looks good and full. The first long trip was to Reading 7 meet combined with DC and NYC trip more than 1200miles, and the second long trip was last weekend to NYC back and forth more than 840miles. The engine responded okay with no problems and got expected gas mileages. Get a good mechanic checking out the car and engine for you if your are not sure about it. Good luck for your car shopping.

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 06-10-2006, 07:41 AM
Ren-Ma Osu

Thanks SSSVX. I would have enjoyed seeing a yellow SVX -- that must get a ton of looks. I wouldn't want to have driven with a gas leak!

I'm enjoying my own SVX. Hopefully it will remain problem free. I heard a weird noise yesterday after I parked the car and stopped the engine. It came from the back of the car and sounded like it was under the trunk. It was a banging sound -- about 8 bangs in a row -- I drove it two times more without it happening again.

To momsvx -- I agree have a local Subaru dealer check it out and have them pay extra attention to the transmission and wheel bearings. Speak to the dealer and make sure they're good. See if the owner has all the service records. I'm always more comfortable when the owner has taken care of the little things. If they wont fix something really simple then I wonder what else was neglected. If the parts car is the same color as the new one you're buying, that could help.
Old 06-10-2006, 09:14 PM
A mom with style ;-)

Question Thanks guy's for the advice

Well we did test drive an SVX today and it was not so hot for $4,000 on a 1992. The car made noise and the interior was in worse shape then the one I have at home. I do hope this one that is far away will be much better. I am nervous about the journey and being let down. Let me ask your opinion, for a 1994 LSi the mileage is 119,000 do you guys think that’s too high for that year?

92 LS-L parts
94-LSi My baby
Old 06-10-2006, 09:34 PM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX
94 Mileage?

You have the answer to your own question by the data you provide. That is less than 10K miles per year which would be considered low mileage. That is just a good break in for the engine, but may be near the end for the tranny if it has not already been rebuilt. Saying that, the 94 tranny was an improvement over the 92 and 93s. If the tranny shifts fine at operating temperatures and the fluid smells ok, then that is about the best you can do as far as determining if it is good. I would definitely rather have a 94 LSi than a 92 LS-L any day.

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 06-13-2006, 06:15 AM
A mom with style ;-)

Thanks!

The car runs so smooth; however the car is faced with a lot of rust on the body. The interior could be in better shape. I am buying the car for $ 3, 900.00. The rims have been modified as well as the stereo. The paint job is a luscious pearl white, “beautiful”. I am going to swap seats from my 1992 to the 1994 as the interior is in better condition and change out body panels in the future. The complexity of this should be finding someone to maintain the pearl paint job for me. I will finally have one I can drive.

92 LS-L parts
94-LSi My baby