How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 04-24-2002, 06:03 PM
AJAX

How dumb is this?

I recently purchased (last Friday) a 94 LSI from the local Subie dealer. Part of my deal included the dealer painting the hood and front bumper, the rest of the paint is excellent. While busy (and happily) waxing the exterior I made my way to the front air dam. My happiness soon turned to disbelief as I stared at what seemed to be a large amount of overspray on the rad...or worse the tranny cooler! My only real concern about the car since I started reading about it a couple of months back has been the transmission cooling problems. I had the dealer install synthetic fluid before I took the car. Have a look at the attached pic and tell me how dumb this is. I have driven the car with this in place for about 500 miles...some hard miles too. The fins appear to be bent...do I need to be concerned about this? Should I just be glad I found it or could bad things have taken place already in the tranny? More stunning pics of stupidity are in my locker.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dscf0023.jpg (735.9 KB, 111 views)
Old 04-24-2002, 06:55 PM
svxeno

I can't tell from the pic but isn't that something "crammed" inside between the grill and radiator/cooler elements?

Randy (Going to look at locker pix) ii
Old 04-24-2002, 07:07 PM
AJAX

Yep that would be newspaper...I have yanked it all out now....like I said...how dumb is that?
Old 04-24-2002, 07:09 PM
svxeno

At least it was "pretty blue" newspaper.

Randy (Was it the Sunday comics?) ii
Old 04-24-2002, 07:12 PM
dart

Re: How dumb is this?

Quote:
Originally posted by AJAX
My happiness soon turned to disbelief as I stared at what seemed to be a large amount of overspray on the rad...or worse the tranny cooler! My only real concern about the car since I started reading about it a couple of months back has been the transmission cooling problems. I had the dealer install synthetic fluid before I took the car. Have a look at the attached pic and tell me how dumb this is. I have driven the car with this in place for about 500 miles...some hard miles too. The fins appear to be bent...do I need to be concerned about this? Should I just be glad I found it or could bad things have taken place already in the tranny? More stunning pics of stupidity are in my locker.
Looks like the bodyshop forgot to remove the masking paper in there to protect the condenser/cooler/rad from overspray.
Old 04-24-2002, 07:22 PM
AJAX

Agreed...it was masking paper...I guess its no big deal but Im glad I found it before it started a fire or overheated the tranny fluid!