SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 01-24-2006, 07:23 AM
5 speed 4 sure

Registered SVX
Your thougts ...

Sorry in advance for the long post.

O.K. I want some opinions here. During the auto to manual trans swap, I had the front section of an Outback DS shortened 3/4". When I took it to the driveline shop, Driveline service of N. Atlanta, they said it would be $65 to shorten and balance it. So I dropped it off an waited.

Later that afternoon, I went to pickup the DS and the guy at the counter said "thatal' be $130". I said "What! You said it would only be $65 to shorten and balance it." I was pissed. He said they told be it would be $65 to shorten and an additional $65 to balance. They did no such thing. Long story short, they unhappily charged me only $65. I picked up the DS off the counter and went on my disgruntled way.

When I picked up the DS I noticed they left some metal fragments in the tube before welding it back up. Did'nt think much of it at the time. Got the install finished and have been driving for the last couple weeks. Everything is great...Except…

Now everytime I start or stop and my little DS starts to spin, the little metal fragments pop around inside the tube such that it sounds like someone ringing a damn little bell. ARG!

Question is: Would you take it back to the shop that said they would'nt give you any warranty because they said the u-joints were bad. U-Joints are not bad at all! The shop that was pissed that they let you go on $65. The shop that did sloppy work to begin with? Would you find another shop? any suggestions? Or would you live with it, insulate your transmission tunnel hoping to quiet the irritating ringing, and move on with your life.

I know this may sound trivial but I spent so much damn time making this thing right that it just kills me that the only piece of work I farmed out came back crappy!
Old 01-24-2006, 07:29 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
How about drilling a hole in the DS and removing the metal fragments? The hole can be welded shut afterwards. Maybe the fragments are too big for this?

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:15 AM
5 speed 4 sure

Registered SVX
Darn good thought !

From the sound of the pieces, they are rather small. I could easily drill a small hole right where they put one of their balancing weights (small washer), then weld the washer back over the hole. Brilliant! This way I don't have to waste time visiting the _______ (fill in your preferred expletive) idiots at the driveline shop.

I can't imagine this would throw me any more out of balancing then the stray pieces already are. Great idea !

Thanks Mychailo!

Last edited by svxcuseme; 01-24-2006 at 09:17 AM.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:31 AM
xturboexpress

ditto on the hole drilling, your best bet I believe. Might be like a small puzzle game getting the peices to the hole, but better than dealing with shops like that.

You should put them in a bag when your done, and leave it at their shop with a friendly note =)
Old 01-24-2006, 09:33 AM
It's just a phase

Send a message via Yahoo to msvx95
Registered SVX
I completely understand the frustration and anger, but personally I would take the shaft to another driveline shop and explain to them what happened and if they can fix the problem you have and tell them to give you a complete quote so you know what to expect.

It's one of those things, but you live and you learn and you will feel better when those chips are out of the shaft so it's not on your mind constantly.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:35 AM
It's just a phase

Send a message via Yahoo to msvx95
Registered SVX
also if you drill and weld holes, you would probably still have to get the shaft balanced again.
Old 01-24-2006, 10:15 AM
5 speed 4 sure

Registered SVX
Yeah, the other shop down the street has a balancer that only goes to 500rpm. And he said that high speed balancing was a misnomer. So... did'nt go back to that shop. Surely there is some other reputable and affordable shop in the Atlanta area.

Anyway, I'll probably still try the drilling hole in side, fishing out with magnet technique. If I weld it back up and get major vibrations then I'll re-balance it somewhere else.

I'll definately put them in a bag and take a picture as well. I'm afraid if I leave them with a note, the note might get ugly.