Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 04-01-2002, 07:56 PM

Wink Warp speed built in - what is Subaru hiding?

Has Subaru been hiding information deliberately? Read on and decide for yourself!!

I have been trying to trouble shoot an A/C system that won't work even though most of the components seem fine.

Anyway, while searching through my AllData CD-ROM I noticed that pin 20 on connector B62 for the ECU is labeled (and I quote):

"Inertia-Resonance supercharging control"

Form your own opinion, but I think Subaru probably was pressured not to publically admit to this capability by the other vehicle manufacturers - no wonder the SVX sold for so much when it was new.
Old 04-01-2002, 08:14 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
That's the IRIS controller, it's a valve that allows more air to flow through the manifold as conditions warrant. In other words the intake manifold has great potential for flow but at low rpm the velocity and response would suck (no pun.) The IRIS valve roughly blocks half of the potential flow when closed. As the rpm increases the IRIS valve opens and effectively allows more flow in the manifold. This is a simplification but you get the idea.

BEav
Old 04-01-2002, 08:28 PM
Green1995SVX

And i quote...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg irisdes.jpg (177.5 KB, 185 views)
Old 04-02-2002, 08:33 AM

Wink nice try, but I'm not buying it

I fail to see a reason to confuse the issue with facts.

As a degreed physicist that works at Cape Canaveral, that makes me a "rocket scientist" - although most people who know me claim the only thing I have in common with space concerns the area between my ears.

Nevertheless, I believe that with artful/skillful combination of facts gleaned from my studies in plasma physics, relativity, and quantum mechanics, I can show that Subaru's use of the term inertia-resonance is a code that they have found a way to achieve warp speed, AND secretly installed the device on the ECU of the SVX.
Old 04-02-2002, 08:43 AM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Talking

You're a riot, Lee.

Welcome to the club. You'll be a great addition to the humor pool.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 04-02-2002, 08:48 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: nice try, but I'm not buying it

Quote:
Originally posted by lee
I fail to see a reason to confuse the issue with facts.

As a degreed physicist that works at Cape Canaveral, that makes me a "rocket scientist" - although most people who know me claim the only thing I have in common with space concerns the area between my ears.

Nevertheless, I believe that with artful/skillful combination of facts gleaned from my studies in plasma physics, relativity, and quantum mechanics, I can show that Subaru's use of the term inertia-resonance is a code that they have found a way to achieve warp speed, AND secretly installed the device on the ECU of the SVX.
You can stay.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 04-02-2002, 09:27 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Re: nice try, but I'm not buying it

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

You can stay.

I'll second that motion.

<whispering> Hey, lee, can you find the pin that activates the Computed Axial Tomography?
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 04-02-2002, 04:12 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Who was it that said: "Never let the truth stand in the way of a good story."

Beav
Old 04-02-2002, 06:05 PM
Member #447

Send a message via MSN to Uncamitzi Send a message via Yahoo to Uncamitzi Send a message via Skype™ to Uncamitzi
Registered SVX
Who was it that said: "Never let the truth stand in the way of a good story."

ah.

that would have been Arthur Anderson et al.....
92 Teal SVX LS-L 128K tranny swap with 4.11's
Well.. my days of not taking you seriously have certainly come to a middle .
Old 04-02-2002, 06:19 PM
svxeno

Do NOT confuse me with facts dangit!

Randy (More medication pleas....ah...thank youuuuuuuu) ii
Old 04-02-2002, 06:23 PM
Ain't it the truth?

Send a message via Yahoo to SVXphile
Who do you think you are? A....a.....oh....I guess you ARE!

Lee....welcome to the humor ool.

There is no p in it....and we try to keep it that way. Don
Old 04-02-2002, 08:39 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Wink Re: Who do you think you are? A....a.....oh....I guess you ARE!

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXphile
Lee....welcome to the humor ool.

There is no p in it....and we try to keep it that way. Don
Oh, no! I've got tinkling that Don's gonna start untificating again.

Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 04-03-2002, 03:40 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Beav
That's the IRIS controller, it's a valve that allows more air to flow through the manifold as conditions warrant. In other words the intake manifold has great potential for flow but at low rpm the velocity and response would suck (no pun.) The IRIS valve roughly blocks half of the potential flow when closed. As the rpm increases the IRIS valve opens and effectively allows more flow in the manifold. This is a simplification but you get the idea.

BEav
I could not get my verson down to 7 lines.

SVX Inlet system design.
The Subaru SVX is a unique auto designed from a clean sheet of paper owing little to any other auto, with many unique designs, the inlet system being one of them. Subaru have looked at the other designs and built a better one!.

The modern inlet system has evolved into a highly tuned, resonate system that provides increased torque over a wide rev range. With the introduction of fuel injection, because all the injectors fired together, and each cylinder inducts one at a time, in turn. The inlet tracts were lengthened to prevent one cylinder from stealing all the fuel. This lengthening also allowed the tracts to be of a tuned length, so the pressure waves resonate to match the peak crankshaft torque revs.

The next inlet system to evolve is the two stage design, to suit high and low engine RPM. This is done by designing a long tract to resonate at low RPM , a short inlet tract for higher RPM. These are then switched between at the appropriate engine RPM. Most modern engines are fitted with this type of inlet system, in one form or another, Porsche use 3 and 4 stage tuned systems.

Ford in Aust. use a long tract that starts at the valve passes under the plenum chamber curves over the top to enter the chamber from the top, for low RPM. The short tract is provide by a butterfly valve that opens the tract to the bottom of the plenum, by-passing the long curl over the top.The long tract starts at the valve and runs to the plenum chamber, where the sudden increase in volume returns the negative wave as a positive pressure, this is used at low RPM, when the time for induction is longer, about 20mil/sec. This longer tract also allows the charge to develop enough inertia, to keep the inlet charge flowing into the cylinder, around BDC near the end of the inlet stroke. Even though the piston has stopped moving at the bottom of the stroke, before moving up on the start of the compression stroke. This assists cylinder filling and torque is increased at these low RPM. It must be noted that only one cylinder inducts at a time, 120degs apart and that the piston does stop, at the top and bottom of the stroke.

The short tract starts at the valve and ends at the plenum chamber, used at high RPM. because the time for induction is much shorter about 6.6mil/sec, too short to move the long column of air in the inlet tract, the inertia now starts to work against us by creating a lag between the maximum piston speed (at around 83degs. ATDC.) and the maximum air speed which may arrive about 20degs later. The short tract can now induct directly from the plenum which is refilled from the central throttle valve.

.Subaru have used a difference approach, take the covers off, look under the manifold !. Subaru uses two inlet tracts separated by a large butterfly valve so that when closed at low RPM there is a smoother flowing 3 branch inlet for each side, inducting 240degs apart, without a plenum in sight. Because of the long, and increasing diameter of the inlet tract, without any sudden changes in cross sectional volume, the tuned length can now extend right back to the throttle bodies, instead of being terminated at a plenum The shear weight of the moving charge causes a useful pressure to be present at the cylinder. As one valve closes on a fast moving column of air, the next cylinder opens its inlet valve to take the flow, even though it's piston is stopped at the top of the stroke. Because the main section of this inertia is developed before the individual cyl branches, this pressure can be passed on from one cyl. to another, thus the induction is assisted not only at the end, but also at the start of the inlet stroke. This is not possible when the low speed tracts end at a plenum chamber.
This is the type of Ram induction that was used successfully by Chrysler in the 60s, to increase the bottom end torque, unfortunately they didn't have a high speed tract to switch to so the top end was lacking. (not that they had much )

The engineers have made no attempt to keep the low speed tracts the same length, if fact allowing a 7in. variation in tuned length, there by spreading the resonate peak over about 1000 RPM. This effect is carried over to the high speed tracts, which have about a 2in variation in length to spread the torque peak over about 750 RPM .

At. around 4500 RPM the large butterfly valve between the inlet tracts opens, connecting both tracts together, this then forms the large cross sectional volume which terminates the high speed tract at the now formed plenum, that functions as a Helmholts resonator, to allow each cylinder to induct its 550cc of air from the chamber, which is now supplied by two throttle bodies.

What Subaru designers have achieved is a two stage, tuned length, inlet system that spreads the torque from about from 2000 RPM to 5400 RPM, with a very effective ram charging system that operates from idle right up to when the high speed butterfly valve opens to form the plenum. This is where the engine gets it wide spread of torque and strong low speed response from.

Harvey. (sorry this is so long.)

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 04-03-2002, 03:44 PM
Member #447

Send a message via MSN to Uncamitzi Send a message via Yahoo to Uncamitzi Send a message via Skype™ to Uncamitzi
Registered SVX
Red face ZZZZZZZZZZZ

I didn't read all of that.... could figure out if it was flowing with the stream or fell over the falls...
92 Teal SVX LS-L 128K tranny swap with 4.11's
Well.. my days of not taking you seriously have certainly come to a middle .