How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 04-16-2005, 09:13 AM
magickfingers

changing to synthetic oil

I have a '92 with just shy of 75,000 miles on it. So far it's been run on regular oil but i'd like to change to Castrol synthetic. I have had no oil leaks of any sort. Is there a contamination issue when switching over? Ditto for ATF, considering a change to synthetic and wondering about contamination. Thanks. Marc
Old 04-16-2005, 09:20 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
No issues with engine oil. Just do an oil and filter change and you should be fine.
If you notice the synthetic is leaking try switching synthetic brands.

ATF may be different since it is hard to get all ATF out. Someone else may have an answer for that.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 04-16-2005, 09:53 AM

Don't Worry About Contamination.... But If You Switch To Sythetic Stick With It... For Me That Is The Best Way To Protect And Engine....my Girld Friend Had A 92 Tercel That Was Starting To Smoke. I Switch To Castrol Synthetic And We Put An Extra 50k On The Engine And The Engine Was Like Knew Until She Sold It. I Highly Recomend It !!! Try Not To Use Any Aditive That Will Thick The Oil They Are Not Good
Old 04-16-2005, 02:28 PM

Registered SVX
Talking

What up with the Synthetic Blend ? I use that in the motorcycle and it has been great.
Old 04-16-2005, 02:37 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

The leaks will happen but stick with it and it'll take care of itself. Even my wife's 03 GT with 12k on the odo leaked a few weeks when I went to synthetic oil.

As for the tranny. GET MOBIL 1 synthetic ATF. It is fully compatable with regular ATF. Drain and fill, drive a week or so and do another drain and fill and about 75% of the fluid will be gone. It has the highest independently verified flash and fire points (breakdown points) of all the ATF commonly sold. Sure B&M and Purple both claim a little higher but I couldn't find any verification of their claims by a lab so I went with the trusted verified company in my 95. Plus the nice thing is it is compatable so if you're low and can't find any (which shouldn't be a problem at a parts store but a quick mart won't have it) you can put any Dextron/ Merc in.