How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 11-10-2003, 06:06 PM
#073 of 301

I found one!

There are 3 dealerships in a row on this one block in town which are all owned by the same guy(s): Acura/BMW/Chrysler. My landlord recently moved over to Manager of the Chrysler dealership, but he used to run the Acura & BMW lots. Saturday, I came home from work (stupid overtime...) and he says to me, "You know that car youre always talking about... that Subaru? We just got one as a trade-in at the BMW lot."
I nearly crapped my pants.

Details: 92 Claret [we can call it maroon, but dont you ever call it "Purple"] LSL (w/ spoiler), AWD, 117000 KM (~ 73k miles), Orig. owner, old guy, almost ALL highway miles, stored for winters, no rust or body damage (I couldnt even find a scratch!), **tranny rebuilt 6 months ago, wheel bearings being done by the BMW dealership as we speak**.... This vehicle is the next best thing to mint, even according to my landlord.

Well, I went and drooled over it on the lot all weekend and made an appointment for a test drive on Wednesday after work (stupid Tuesday being a holiday...).
The BIG problem here is the price... $15,900 Canadian. The sales guy on the phone started laughing when he told me that and he said his Manager was an idiot. He said (without knowing I'm "family" of the ex-manager) that realistically they were hunting for around 12,000 Canadian. With my landlord's help, I bet I could get it for $10,000 (OMG... just over book price... heh).
Since they take care of my 89 Integra at the Acura dealership, theyll take it as trade in for a few grand too.

I'll let you folks know how it goes on Wednesday. In the mean time, I would really appreciate some "ProTips" on what to look for when I test-drive this bad boy. I know about sickly shifting and clunky reverse... but with the very recent tranny rebuild, I'm not AS concerned that this will be a problem. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks Guys,
-Dan.
Old 11-10-2003, 06:46 PM

sounds like you might just get a good deal.

since the tranny and bearings don't seem to be issues I think you've got the bases covered. You might want to think about a warranty on the bearing job from them. I say that because I would assume they feel comfortable having just done the job. However if they or someone earlier ham-fisted the work you could be out the price of the hub (what happens with over torquing is a hub distortion issue). So if you can find out anything about the timing belt and seals. Look underneath and see if theres any oil coming out where the plastic cover on the front meets the block.

if you get a couple of minutes alone you want want to download the climate, transmission and ECU diagnostic routines and make sure they all come up clean.

best of luck.
Old 11-12-2003, 07:13 PM
#073 of 301

Well I got a phone call today and the test drive got cancelled. Apparently the parts place sent the worng stuff to do the bearings, so I got bumped back to Friday for the test drive. I'll keep yall posted.
Old 11-13-2003, 12:00 AM

Just so DZA and I don't have to sift through 20,000 listings in the search files , just how do you download the diagnostic routines,and what do the coresponding numbers mean. Or point us in the right direction if this is a redundant question.

Thanks

Tom

That's a Subaru
Old 11-14-2003, 05:38 PM
#073 of 301

Well, I went and test drove this car. I finally got to check it all out in person. Its a Canadian SVX with Kms instead of miles and such.

Good Stuff:
Its a Canadian SVX with Kms instead of miles and such.
Cleaner than clean, int/ext in phenomenal shape.
Leather is damn near mint.
Took it highway driving on Ice for ****s and giggles, it handled like a charm.
NO road noise. At 130-140 km/h it didn't really sound like we were even moving.
The windows kick ass, obviously. I just hadnt been behind the wheel to check it out for myself.
Car gets 32mpg. I drained the tank on the test drive heh.

Bad Stuff:
You guys werent kidding when you said this thing was slow on the acceleration from stop (but highway was niiiice).
Is it supposed to feel like you don't have brakes? lol
178,000 km... "oops i guess you misheard me on the phone"
Small chip in the spoiler (size of half a penny)
Wheel center caps all faded and ****ty yellow
No heated seats
No factory security system
I kept going for the (obviously non-existant) clutch.
"Tranny cooler? i dont recall if we did that when we did the transmission." so that means "No".
Only the front right wheel bearing done.
They wont give me sweet ****-all for my current car on trade-in

The worst part was some Executive from Air Canada (one of the BMW dealerships better customers) was in it for a test drive just before me, and he was lookin to buy it as a gift for his teenage daughter (god damn people with money). My landlord says the guy is comin in on Tuesday with his offer (~13k)... but I have "first dibs."

All in all, fairly impressed with the car, but they want too much money and Super Wallet Man will give em what they want for it, so it looks like I'm out of the runnin here. There will be more SVXs around, and I know that I'll be in a better position for one by next summer.

-Dan

Last edited by Dza; 11-14-2003 at 11:25 PM.
Old 11-14-2003, 06:11 PM
CONSUME

No you are not developmentally disabled. You just didn't know the difference between the hit the switch to get out of the car tilt steering. and the actual tilt setting (which is far down in the middle underneath the stearing column.)once you set that the oth er switch allows you to get in and out with ease. automatically going back to the way you set it.
Old 11-14-2003, 06:21 PM
#073 of 301

Well, I'll be damned... you learn something new every day.
As I was pissing with it i KNEW i was doing something wrong because I read about the same issue in some other thread... but i wanted to drive, not play with the buttons/switches/levers.
Thanks for the info.
Old 11-14-2003, 08:53 PM
6MT STi-ified, now with R180!

Send a message via ICQ to Nemesis Destiny Send a message via MSN to Nemesis Destiny
Man, whatever you do, you can't let the corporate jet set buy his prissy princess daughter that car. SVXes belong in the hands of those that can appreciate their uniqueness, not some spoiled girly-girl that's probably never had to work a day in her life and can't tell an SVX from a Hyundai Scoupe...

Do us all a favour... do whatever it takes.
Old 11-14-2003, 11:28 PM
#073 of 301

Quote:
Originally posted by Nemesis Destiny
Do us all a favour... do whatever it takes.
Please PayPal 10 thousand dollars.
Thanks.
Old 11-14-2003, 11:33 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Nemesis Destiny Send a message via MSN to Nemesis Destiny
I'd love to, but I'm afraid I've already cut a cheque for that amount on my own SVX this morning. Be picking it up Monday.
Old 11-15-2003, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Nemesis Destiny
I'd love to, but I'm afraid I've already cut a cheque for that amount on my own SVX this morning. Be picking it up Monday.
Hellow Sault STe Marie.
Dza. I had my hart set on a black SVX here in town. The dealer gave it to his daughter.92 LSi 100.000 kilometers just pristine.And to ad insult to injury I've seen her driving around.And my wife says "oh isn't he a nice dad"
Tom

That's a Subaru
Old 11-15-2003, 10:36 AM
mark10t

<<Car gets 32mpg. I drained the tank on the test drive heh.>>

Of course, those 'imperial' gallons go a lot further!!

It sounds like this car meets the first and most important test- one owner and well cared for (pristine condition).... the rest should fall into place if a guy like that owned it 'all it's life'. Sounds to me like it would be well worth the little extra you'd have to pay to get this car.

I stumbled into mine somewhat the same way- a '94 LSi that was coming off a four year lease with only 27,000 miles on it. It looked like new. Now I've got 126,000 miles on it.

If it's slow off the line, I'm wondering if it ever had the 'ferrite bead crush' mod yet........

Good Luck!!

-Mark
Old 11-15-2003, 01:18 PM
The Croupier

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mark10t
[B]<<Car gets 32mpg. I drained the tank on the test drive heh.>>

Of course, those 'imperial' gallons go a lot further!!

I am *LUCKY* to get 16 MPG with only 52 k on her. gotta see the doc about that lead foot

But then the last thing on my mind when I get in is MPG
03 Yamaha V-star custom /classic 3k
Old 11-15-2003, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by T.McCaw

Hellow Sault STe Marie.
...and hello Nanaimo. I remember liking it there from when I was there for Expo '86.

BTW, Whose sig was it that said, "if there were 1000 SVX imported to Canada, where are all the members?" or something like that... well, here's one more.