Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 08-09-2001, 01:19 PM
BadDog

LOL we had a pretty bad ice storm up here a few years ago, too. *I* didn't loose power, but tens of thousands of people *did*....

Lake Effect snow occurs when arctic air blows down from Canada across a large, unfrozen lake like Lake Ontario, picks up a ton of moisture, then dumps that moisture via lake effect snow "bands" on everybody who happens to be downwind of the lake at that time. The "bands" shift as the wind changes, and dump concentrated, wet, heavy snow over a narrow but elongated area. One area might get several feet of snow, while 1 mile away, the skies are clear. The bands can be 40 to 50 miles long or longer. And the bands shift all over the place as the wind changes, so it can be nasty & unpredictable. "Ornery"
Old 08-09-2001, 09:09 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally posted by BadDog
I dunno... from the tread design, they just don't look like they'll work very well in deep Upstate NY snow... they *are* M+S tires, though... the only other problem I have with them is they tend to "sing" on concrete overpasses. I just figured that if Ron wanted a cheap, matching set of tires with < 3000 miles on them, I coul dhelp him out, and give myself an excuse for new tires of my own choice LOL
Thanks for the kind offer BadDog. Here's my plan. Just leave the freakin' screw right where it is. No reputable tire place wants to patch, boot, tube or whatever due to my perceived ability to send in Johnnie Cochran, & put'em out of business if they knowingly do a "bad" thing. "If da' rubber blow, it's off to da' slammer you go"! So, it's been about a week, & I just plug in the inflater thing every morning & replace the missing 2 pounds. Uh... yes, I know this is nuts, but I want a set of Yoko's, just not right this minute. If I have to go to the donut, well, yes, THEN I'll limp to the tire guy. I'll let you all know how long I get away with my idiocy. Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 08-10-2001, 12:09 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
How are the yokohamas? I have the (look below)... I like them and they are real quiet. my 2 cents.
Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 08-12-2001, 09:48 PM
Is it Summer yet?

Ron, I have the same predicament as you. A week ago I was at the gas station and noticed that the right side front was looking really flat. I put air in it and went straight home. Within two hours it was completely flat. I put the doughnut on and the tire had four nails on the tread/sidewall line. It is unrepairable in my opinion. But I've been wanting to change the tires - Yoko A540's (and do something about the wheels) for a while.
Anyone who has seen the condition of my factory rims knows what I mean, and I have done a lot of research into aftermarket rims. Conclusion is to stay with the OEM rims. I will probably order refinished rims this week.
Oh! yes the tire of choice is Dunlop SP5000. They seem to be the best compromise of high performance and all season available.
06 Chevy Malibu 71K
13 Outback 0K
Old 08-14-2001, 02:52 PM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via AIM to nvrmore100 Send a message via Yahoo to nvrmore100
Speaking of stupid tire problems....

I just realized this about 2 weeks ago. After I had taken my car to Calgary and gotten the Ford mechanic to balance and align my wheels...he told me there was a problem with my tires. He said that my front tires (which are directional tread) were mounted on the wrong way, so that they were rollling backwards! I was suprised, however believed every word he said. He said he would remount them no charge and put them back on for me.

Just 2 weeks ago though, I was talking to oneofthefewproud about those chrome wheels that were on backwards. After peeking outside, I saw mine were the right way........ON THE BACK!

We crapola no wonder the tires were backwards....dumba$$! He had mixed up the front wheels so they are now rotating the wrong way...and saw the tread was backwards so he switched those! So now I'm driving around with my rear wheels turing the right way and my front wheels turning backwards...and I can't just swap them because the tire direction will be wrong now!!! Arg!!! So I complained and they said they would be happy to fix the problem....to bad I'm 1000 miles from there right now.... Sigh...

Ryan

http://www.ryanmacdonald.com
http://www.digitalvertigo.net
http://www.open-innovations.com
Old 08-14-2001, 08:30 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally posted by montypython
Ron, I have the same predicament as you. A week ago I was at the gas station and noticed that the right side front was looking really flat. I put air in it and went straight home. Within two hours it was completely flat. I put the doughnut on and the tire had four nails on the tread/sidewall line. It is unrepairable in my opinion. But I've been wanting to change the tires - Yoko A540's (and do something about the wheels) for a while.
Anyone who has seen the condition of my factory rims knows what I mean, and I have done a lot of research into aftermarket rims. Conclusion is to stay with the OEM rims. I will probably order refinished rims this week.
Oh! yes the tire of choice is Dunlop SP5000. They seem to be the best compromise of high performance and all season available.
Monte - UPDATE - I'm driving on your tire of choice, the Dunlop SP5000. I think they're fairly quiet, but I have no point of comparison. All I hear is that the Yoko AVS db is quieter than a mouse piss'n on cotton, & snow ain't a big deal in my parts. So, I continue to drive on the tire with the imbedded screw, & inflate the sucker every other day. If I can play this game until the October Snowshoe meet, I'll do it. I notified a local used tire company that I need another semi-worn Dunlop, & call me if one comes in. If I start losing air more rapidly... Well, I'll just tighten the screw! HeHe! Ron.

'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
Old 08-15-2001, 08:50 AM

I can't speak for the Yoko's but the SP500's are a good compromise for sound and traction in snow. As to the mouse piss in cotton, I'll have to defer to your expertise on that sujbject.
99 Acura 3.2 TL, 51K
Old 08-15-2001, 07:56 PM
Ain't it the truth?

Send a message via Yahoo to SVXphile
Cris-cross flip flop

Ryan,
Don't feel bad. I had a similar situation happen to me just before the Smoky Mountain Meet. I think it was Ron or Colin who pointed it out to me...how embarassing! and at a MEET no less...I was FIRST into Sears early Saturday to correct the problem before we all got together in earnest. Don
1 wife ("She, who must be obeyed..")

"One advantage of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries"
Old 08-16-2001, 09:42 AM
Member Incognito

Registered SVX
Re: Tire predicament

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Mummert
Greetings folks. I managed to pick up a drywall screw in one rear tire just high enough where the tread meets the sidewall to render a "can't fix it" response from 2 places that eyeballed it. One place has no vested interest to try to sell a new set. Right now, the screw's head sticks out about 1/4 inch, & the tire loses air very slowly (10lb over the weekend).
Ron, I have to be honest and say I don't like the sound of this one too much. The sidewalls bear the brunt of cornering forces, which I'm sure can be quite high. If it were me, I'd be very hesitant to use the car with the tire like that. Those four contact patches are the only things that keep the SVX attached to terra firma, as opposed to skittering sideways across it or over water or... well, you get the idea. This guy lost one of his back tires at about 55 or so http://www.fox.org/~ranma/crash/ He's O.K., but still, this is what happens when one of the contact patches goes out in a turn. Scarry stuff.

"Flossie" - 92 black over pearl LS-L (sold)
"Gorgeous George" - 98 Audi A8 (traded)
"Gorgeous Genny" - 02 Audi S8 (sold)
"Green Giant" - 00 Land Rover Disco II
"Grey Wülf" - 05 Volvo S60 R
"Silver Surfer" - 92 black over liquid silver LS-L
"9 of 7" - 97 bordeaux pearl, formerly with Earl Steele
Old 08-16-2001, 09:47 AM
Member Incognito

Registered SVX
Re: Re: Ghetto Solution

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Mummert

Tire Rack has the Yokohamas for $107.00 apiece. Mr. Tire has 'em for $139.00 "on the rim, out the door", etc. By the time I pay the freight, mount, balance etc., am I really saving anything by buying on line? Anyone done this comparison before? As always, your free advice more than welcome. Ron.
I think it works out better to order them from TireRack. Funny enough, when I do that I always have them sent to Ye Olde Wheel Shop near you so that I can also have them check the wheels for bends and repair them before new tires are mounted and balanced.

"Flossie" - 92 black over pearl LS-L (sold)
"Gorgeous George" - 98 Audi A8 (traded)
"Gorgeous Genny" - 02 Audi S8 (sold)
"Green Giant" - 00 Land Rover Disco II
"Grey Wülf" - 05 Volvo S60 R
"Silver Surfer" - 92 black over liquid silver LS-L
"9 of 7" - 97 bordeaux pearl, formerly with Earl Steele
Old 08-16-2001, 10:08 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Re: Tire predicament

Quote:
Originally posted by SvXit

Ron, I have to be honest and say I don't like the sound of this one too much. The sidewalls bear the brunt of cornering forces, which I'm sure can be quite high. If it were me, I'd be very hesitant to use the car with the tire like that. Those four contact patches are the only things that keep the SVX attached to terra firma, as opposed to skittering sideways across it or over water or... well, you get the idea. This guy lost one of his back tires at about 55 or so http://www.fox.org/~ranma/crash/ He's O.K., but still, this is what happens when one of the contact patches goes out in a turn. Scarry stuff.
A true testament to the strength of our wonderful cars. It's still hard to believe that Adam escaped with only cuts and scratches. I continue to be amazed. As I've written before, there was a rash of rollovers a couple of years ago, with people walking away with no injuries -- both driver and passenger.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 08-16-2001, 02:38 PM
Lowered SVX

i hit some damn concrete road patch...

last week and now i have a big beautiful bubble in the side of my nitto 450 extreme, right front. what sucks is i paid for the tire warranty from discount tire. but in order to get my new tire i have to send them the old one!! i have the worst luck with this car. if i can not work out my suspension and cv axle issues i am selling it.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 08-16-2001, 10:07 PM
picklesbitch

Buying only 1 tire?

I have been working nights and sleeping some during the day, so my brain is slower than usual. Here's a thought. Buy one new tire to replace the one with the drywall screw. Take it to a place that balances truck tires. Have them cut the treads(that's how they balance tires on trucks) on the machine until the circumference is the same. A hassle, yes, pricey, probably, piece of mind, definetly.
Mike
Old 08-16-2001, 10:46 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Talking Re: Buying only 1 tire?

Quote:
Originally posted by pickles*****
I have been working nights and sleeping some during the day, so my brain is slower than usual. Here's a thought. Buy one new tire to replace the one with the drywall screw. Take it to a place that balances truck tires. Have them cut the treads(that's how they balance tires on trucks) on the machine until the circumference is the same. A hassle, yes, pricey, probably, piece of mind, definetly.
Mike
Thanks, but I'm beginning to like my screw. It draws attention from bystanders - like the windows.
"Hey, buddy, Ya' know ya' got a screw in yer tire?" "Uhh.. ya' got funny windows too".
"Sure... I like my tires screwed". "Ya' know, Ya' got a ring in yer nose?" "Funny lookin' bruise on yer girlfriend's arm too". Oh... It's a Tattoo? Coulda' fooled me." "Have a good life". Ron/Tsu

'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K