Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 08-03-2001, 10:52 AM
Grand Poo-Bah

Send a message via AIM to halistan Send a message via MSN to halistan Send a message via Yahoo to halistan
Registered SVX
Talking New tranny

Now, normally i wouldn't be grinning about getting a new transmission but this time i'll make an exception since i got the dealership to let me buy it at COST!. I ordered some parts (new axle, water pump, etc) total of about $400 in parts and i wanted them last weekend and even paid extra to have them sent 2 day air, but they completly dropped the ball and have botched every attempt for me to get the parts for 2 weeks. I am finally getting the parts today and talked to them about compensating me and they said on my next purchase that i could have it at cost, so of course i said i want a '97 transmission and they said ok. I also asked if i could by a new drive shaft too at cost. We're not talkin remaned tranny either, but a BRAND spankin new one..well worth the cost i think, even if it is as much as a level 10 rebuild....but i would take brand new over rebuild every day and twice on sunday :-). I was so excited that i just had to tell someone and i chose you guys :-) Take it easy.

~Ray
All new and improved custom built engine with forged internals, lowered compression, upgraded cams and a stage III supercharger. AMR Engineering struts, Custom exhaust --All 3 Subaru cats removed, and replaced with 2 high flow mustang cats-- Cross-drilled & Slotted rotors, steel braided brake lines, bypassed stock Tranny cooler replaced with aftermarket B&M super-cooler, and a K&N drop in air filter.
Old 08-03-2001, 11:01 AM
oneothefewproud

Ray,

Get us all a deal on one. Then you got something there. I would say that ranks up there with Ryan's $750 SVX.

Good for you.
Caio
Wayne
Old 08-03-2001, 12:03 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: New tranny

Quote:
Originally posted by halistan
Now, normally i wouldn't be grinning about getting a new transmission but this time i'll make an exception since i got the dealership to let me buy it at COST!. I ordered some parts (new axle, water pump, etc) total of about $400 in parts and i wanted them last weekend and even paid extra to have them sent 2 day air, but they completly dropped the ball and have botched every attempt for me to get the parts for 2 weeks. I am finally getting the parts today and talked to them about compensating me and they said on my next purchase that i could have it at cost, so of course i said i want a '97 transmission and they said ok. I also asked if i could by a new drive shaft too at cost. We're not talkin remaned tranny either, but a BRAND spankin new one..well worth the cost i think, even if it is as much as a level 10 rebuild....but i would take brand new over rebuild every day and twice on sunday :-). I was so excited that i just had to tell someone and i chose you guys :-) Take it easy.

~Ray
Way to go Ray!!! We're happy for you (if not terribly jealous).
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 08-03-2001, 12:16 PM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Re: Re: New tranny

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

Way to go Ray!!! We're happy for you (if not terribly jealous).
Yep, that is one smokin' deal. The only caveat that I would have is that a new part only has a one year warranty, vs the two years on the reman. But I'd still take new over used anyday.
Old 08-03-2001, 02:11 PM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via AIM to nvrmore100 Send a message via Yahoo to nvrmore100
You know that totally confused me too...

When I went to get mine, I was orginally going to buy a new on. Got quoted about $5000 installed. However when he told me it came with half the warranty of the reman one...I was totally puzzled. Why in the world would that be the case??

Ryan

http://www.ryanmacdonald.com
http://www.digitalvertigo.net
http://www.open-innovations.com
Old 08-03-2001, 02:44 PM
Grand Poo-Bah

Send a message via AIM to halistan Send a message via MSN to halistan Send a message via Yahoo to halistan
Registered SVX
hmmm, vewy intwesting

I didn't ask about the warranty, I just assumed that it came with the standard 2 year/24K mile warranty. Now, AAmaco offers a 3yr/50K warranty here that i was originally going to get and the rebuild only costs $2K. In this case i am toggling between having a great warranty (50K is pretty good) or betting that i won't need a warranty by getting a whole new tranny. Our trannies last a pretty long time if we take care of them. Like Shotsky is always saying that the tranny is great it's just the heat that kills them, and lack of taking care of the fluid that kills the tranny. I have a cooler installed (B&M, it's great), a tranny temp gauge and i replace my fluid every 20K (or sooner if i smell it burnt) soooo, that is where i am.....maybe i should make a poll on which is better, having a great warranty...or getting quality and not needing one. What do you guys think?

~Ray
All new and improved custom built engine with forged internals, lowered compression, upgraded cams and a stage III supercharger. AMR Engineering struts, Custom exhaust --All 3 Subaru cats removed, and replaced with 2 high flow mustang cats-- Cross-drilled & Slotted rotors, steel braided brake lines, bypassed stock Tranny cooler replaced with aftermarket B&M super-cooler, and a K&N drop in air filter.