How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-19-2010, 11:13 AM

catching gears trouble

im new to the site n just purchased an SVX

one thing im noticing its doing is when im driving when it reaches abt 20 MPH the gear hits hard.....then at times when i hit 40 MPH it will delay catching the gear and my RPM will go from 2 to 4 in a heartbeat so i have to take my foot off the gas so it will catch it

like i said im new to the car its my first SVX i know somethings abt it im just concerned and seeing what it could be

also i noticed a dip stick with the initials DIFF i know that has to do with the differential bc of the AWD but could that be the cause of my problem??? what is that mainly for??????

thanks in advanced
Old 07-19-2010, 11:35 AM
Headin' for the hills

Registered SVX
Re: catching gears trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveramk2 View Post
im new to the site n just purchased an SVX

one thing im noticing its doing is when im driving when it reaches abt 20 MPH the gear hits hard.....then at times when i hit 40 MPH it will delay catching the gear and my RPM will go from 2 to 4 in a heartbeat so i have to take my foot off the gas so it will catch it

like i said im new to the car its my first SVX i know somethings abt it im just concerned and seeing what it could be

also i noticed a dip stick with the initials DIFF i know that has to do with the differential bc of the AWD but could that be the cause of my problem??? what is that mainly for??????

thanks in advanced
Sounds like a Throttle Position Sensor to me (TPS to many here). Mine exhibited similar symptoms when I purchased it, and I'd suspected the transmission. I checked the TPS using the How-To written up here, and it had a dead spot right around 1/3 throttle (right where it cruises most of the time). If you check the voltage or resistance through the sensor at idle, and it seems ok, you might still have a problem part way through the sweep of the sensor. Do the full test and rule that out before spending money on trans work. It might save you a bunch.

Welcome to the forum.
'92 LS-L "Bandit" #362 formerly dark teal, repainted by prev owner
Mods: ECUTune 2v7f, Earthworm bushings, Pioneer DVD/Bluetooth phone, Infinity Reference all around, tint, 17" wheels, custom seat belt computer, velcro visor

Buying parts is like car payments. Someday she'll be all mine.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:50 PM
51 Club

Registered SVX
Re: catching gears trouble

The diff dipstick is for the front differential which has gear oil in it rather than ATF. It is attached to but seperate from the transmission and has nothing to do with your symptoms.
The throttle position sensor is a good place to start but you may have tranny issues as is very common to these cars.