Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > US Regional Forums > Northwest Region

Old 09-08-2008, 05:54 PM

Unhappy New transmission needed in 1996 SVX - WA shops for swap?

Hi Folks,

My 1996 SVX (AWD) needs a new transmission, plus a bunch of other stuff. I just called up Smart Service and they claim that remanufactured transmissions for that year are not available, so the only option would be new, of which there are apparently 1 available. That transmission would cost 5400+ plus shipping I have no reason to not believe them, but that's pretty expensive.

So, a swap looks like a good alternative, but I don't have the facilities/time/expertiese/etc to do it myself. What I'd like to do is drop the car off at a shop and have everything done by them. I know that's probably not realistic, but...

If I go with an automatic 4.44, what could I use? Searching says 96-98 Legacy Outback 4EAT + Limited Slip Differential + Torque Converter. All other parts come from the SVX (driveshaft, axles, etc)? Any problems with TCU? On the manual side, 5MT from WRX seems to be a possibility; any restriction on year?

At this point I have no strong preference on auto vs manual, I just need to get this thing running. Has anyone dealt with a shop in western Washington that'll do a swap on an SVX? I'd rather not ship the car out to the east coast.

Thanks for any help that can be provided. I kind of got screwed on my SVX purchase and I'm trying to make the best of it I really want to get this thing up and running again. I'm looking for done right, not done cheap.

-MB

Last edited by mattjb; 09-08-2008 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Updated with some more details
Old 09-08-2008, 08:41 PM

Smile Re: New transmission needed in 1996 SVX - WA shops for swap?

PM sent thanks Fishtail
Old 09-10-2008, 06:26 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Turbone Send a message via AIM to Turbone Send a message via Yahoo to Turbone Send a message via Skype™ to Turbone
Registered SVX
Re: New transmission needed in 1996 SVX - WA shops for swap?

Contact PIA and talk to Dave or Steve. They work only on Subaru's and do great work. Their Shop is in Tacoma. Tell them Rob sent you.
253 536-0389
Old 09-11-2008, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbone View Post
Contact PIA and talk to Dave or Steve. They work only on Subaru's and do great work. Their Shop is in Tacoma. Tell them Rob sent you.
253 536-0389
No dice, I talked to Dave and he's not doing swaps Thanks for the recommendation, though. He recommended Small Car Performance, but feedback on this site suggests that'd be a mistake.

Any other thoughts?

-MB
Old 09-12-2008, 08:33 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Turbone Send a message via AIM to Turbone Send a message via Yahoo to Turbone Send a message via Skype™ to Turbone
Registered SVX

Smart Service? They are up in Shoreline, not exactly close and not sure they would do it either.
Small Car has had some problems with their swaps.
If I didnt have a SVX awaiting a engine/tranny swap, I would do it.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:09 PM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX

What's your timetable Matt? Does this need to get done asap or could you wait a month or two (daily driver vs. just getting it back on the road in a semi-timely manner to make up for the bad deal)?

Is the car still driveable or is it going to need transport to whoever fixes it?

Yeah I'd stay away from Smallcar, it sounds like you already have figured that out.

Smart Service is a good place, and they are willing to do aftermarket stuff, but I don't think they've ever done a swap on a SVX. I asked them once about it and it sounded like if they were provided with a kit and instructions, they might be willing. Or maybe not. But you'd be their guinea pig.

Anyway, let me know about the 1st couple questions, I'm thinking about something.

1992 SVX LSL "Serenity" 250,000 miles!

I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sky from me...
Old 09-15-2008, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
What's your timetable Matt? Does this need to get done asap or could you wait a month or two (daily driver vs. just getting it back on the road in a semi-timely manner to make up for the bad deal)?

Is the car still driveable or is it going to need transport to whoever fixes it?

Anyway, let me know about the 1st couple questions, I'm thinking about something.
Hi MacGyver,

It doesn't need to be fixed ASAP, but I need something running fairly soon. I commute to work on a motorcycle and the SVX was my alternative for when the weather turns bad. I was hoping to get up and running again by mid-October, end of October at the latest.

The car doesn't run right now and would need to be towed, which I don't consider a serious problem as long as it doesn't need to go 100+ miles. As it stands right now, the list of problems is as follows

1. Needs new transmission (old transmission is in bits in my garage)
2. Needs new driveshaft (also in garage)
3. Needs new radiator
4. Righ-rear wheel bearing is bad, hub status unknown
5. There is a leak in the power steering (rack, i believe)

On top of that, I haven't had much time with the car in running order, so I'm not sure if there are other problems lurking. I'm considering parting ways with the SVX since I can pick up a low miles Legacy or Impreza for the same cost as fixing the SVX with a *new* transmission. Tough call, I love the SVX, but I'm not sure I want to roll the dice again She'll definately get posted as a parts car in the for sale section here if it comes to that. I'd hate to see it turned into a cube.

Thanks.

-MB
Old 09-15-2008, 08:36 PM

Registered SVX

Dang, I just parted out a 92 Claret.
It was hard enough doing that one, not sure I could do another
Wish there was some way I could help you out Matt.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:09 AM
That's gona leave a mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjb View Post
Hi Folks,

My 1996 SVX (AWD) needs a new transmission, plus a bunch of other stuff. I just called up Smart Service and they claim that remanufactured transmissions for that year are not available,

-MB
didn't think there was a difference in any year other than the 92/92 having some issues. .

the Chick Magnet:
91 Justy GL EFI 4x4 154k (new motor @120k)

90 Yamaha V-Max
82 Yamaha XJ650LJ Turbo
My Diver Propulsion vehicle:
88 Jeep Cherokee 160k
"U-sta-have"
88 XT6 AWD Pearl,
86 XT Lt Blue,
85 XT AWD/4x4 Turbo Space Blue