Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2008, 04:22 PM

all im looking for is street drivable some what high horse power for the svx I would be more than happy with 400. As cheaply as possible.

Last edited by tubbstcg; 03-10-2008 at 04:29 PM.
Old 03-15-2008, 02:41 PM
Locker Link Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schralper View Post
But the fact is that there is no custom exhaust w/ remote
believe me there is lots of custom exhaust work for an SVX application, unless you don't mind it looking like... well, not very good
Quote:
Oil filter conversion?
yeah, remove the threaded pickup and swap in the OEM stacker and lines from a stock wrx.... or get a spin-on one, which comes with the extras... either way, no involved removing of engine stuff
Quote:
No intercooler
total optional, same level of involvement for both.
Quote:
tuffest coldside feed would be up to the MAF/TB's
, but yes, same for both, bit less effort and less materials for normal turbo
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Member #995 | My Locker | My New Locker

Catch you next at: ? Auto-X ?

Last edited by Speedklix; 03-15-2008 at 03:22 PM.
Old 03-16-2008, 12:17 AM
Mr. Inappropriate

These things really do work. There's no lag due to positive displacement. It's not like the exhaust gas from each cylinder has to reach the turbo to spool it up. Each exhaust pulse displaces the air/gas ahead of it, forcing it towards the turbo. Think about it for a while if need be.

Same thing applies for air on the trip from back to front.

Plenty of room in the back of the SVX for a setup like this. No muffler, no intercooler. Pretty dang simple. Well, if anyone can find a good, and not real expensive, oil pump to feed the turbo we'd have one of the biggest problems taken care of.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:27 AM
Porsche Autofanatiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myetball View Post
It's not like the exhaust gas from each cylinder has to reach the turbo to spool it up. Each exhaust pulse displaces the air/gas ahead of it, forcing it towards the turbo. Think about it for a while if need be.
You're missing the biggest factor to why turbochargers really work.....heat. Heat energy combined with pressure is what drives a turbocharger, not pressure alone. Measure the temp of the exhaust gas back by the muffler in comparison to that near the header...about a 1200F difference easy.

These systems do work, but nothing in comparison to a real setup. You can run a considerably larger turbo in the standard setup than per these STS systems. Means better efficiency and power. Put a properly matched turbo from a header setup in the back of a car and you will have lag.

I do this stuff for a living. STS systems are a complete waste of money for anyone seriously looking for performance. They're meant for people who want an extra 50-70hp ad are trying to beat emissions. That's all.

Last edited by Boxersix; 03-16-2008 at 08:31 AM.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Well, if anyone can find a good, and not real expensive, oil pump to feed the turbo we'd have one of the biggest problems taken care of.
Here ya go, same as STS uses.
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
I laught cuz you're all the same."

Last edited by Schralper; 03-16-2008 at 08:30 AM.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxersix View Post
STS systems are a complete waste of money for anyone seriously looking for performance. They're meant for people who want an extra 50-70hp ad are trying to beat emissions. That's all.
Yes they aren't gonna provide the highest level of performance but come on 50 hp. on top of stock. It's a pretty big increase for not being N20, just not as good HP per $. Plus emissions, visual especially, are a BIG deal in alotta states. One of the other reasons is you don't need a turbo (lo comp) specific engine. Yes the front mounted turbo will provide higher boost/performance. As long as you have a built lo comp engine. There are ways of keeping the heat in the exhaust, wraps and thermal coating. It doesn't matter if it's a front or rear mount it's gonna cost way more $$$ to turbo an svx than something w/ some aftermarket support. The heat control/packaging in an SVX would be a beeyacha. Not like throwing a turbo an even something else w/ tight packaging.
http://www.jimwolftechnology.com/cus...asp?PartID=474
For kick in pants feeling 4.44 and N20 makes more sense in the svx than turbo and I turbos. It's still the auto trans thats the weak link.

Last edited by Schralper; 03-16-2008 at 08:52 AM.
Old 03-16-2008, 11:15 AM
Mr. Inappropriate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxersix View Post
...STS systems are a complete waste of money for anyone seriously looking for performance. They're meant for people who want an extra 50-70hp ad are trying to beat emissions. That's all.
Uh, isn't that what most folks are looking for? A quick and dirty way to get some extra horsepower without the excessive cost of a fully built engine and a turbo setup to generate hundreds of extra horsepower? I don't think an extra 70hp is "jokingly" looking for performance.

This is symptomatic of most car forums. People only want to discuss "serious" performance. "I want a gazilion horsepower, a turbo as big as a truck, and FMIC as big as a house, and I want to run the quarter in two seconds!" Reality is most people don't have the cash for "serious" performance, we're just jokers looking for a little kick in the pant.
Old 03-16-2008, 02:17 PM
Locker Link Solution

Quote:
People should discuss "logical" performance.
Fixed it

...I believe boxer is trying to say the same thing as I am.

It just doesn't make sense to bastersize the car to slap something more expensive that performs worse (not hp, simply worse in every way) under the false perception that is somehow simpler in design and easier to install...

now if someone was to make a kit specific to the SVX, that would be one thing... you would just have to ask yourself these questions about a system you could potentially install in your driveway instead of a customary turbo setup:
1) do I mind wasting MORE in gas?
2) ...limiting my driving habits?
3) ...spending more $$?
4) altering the appearance of the car? (minor)
5) not being able to drive in mild to heavy rain...possibly even light rain over a duration.
6) my more expensive turbo system being stolen... yes, snip-snip-cut and its on ebay!
7) people laughing at me Just kidding
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Member #995 | My Locker | My New Locker

Catch you next at: ? Auto-X ?

Last edited by Speedklix; 03-16-2008 at 02:19 PM.
Old 03-16-2008, 03:18 PM

how would any kind of turbo waste gas if driven under the same circumstances?
Old 03-16-2008, 03:55 PM
Porsche Autofanatiker

Quote:
One of the other reasons is you don't need a turbo (lo comp) specific engine.
Boost is boost, doesn't matter if the turbo is mounted off the header, or back 10 feet on the exhaust. Just because you mount the turbo off the back of a tailpipe and run 5psi doesn't mean you don't need a LCR motor. Doesn't mean you do either. It's all based on the parameters of your motor, your tune, given variables, etc. Has NOTHING to do with where the turbo is mounted. What I know is fact is that running 10psi of properly intercooled boost is safer than 5psi from these STS kits, LCR or not. The charge piping from the STS does NOT intercooler properly. Even on the longest systems, the piping has less than 30% surface area than that of your average intercooler, and surface area is what cools.

Quote:
Uh, isn't that what most folks are looking for? A quick and dirty way to get some extra horsepower without the excessive cost of a fully built engine and a turbo setup to generate hundreds of extra horsepower? I don't think an extra 70hp is "jokingly" looking for performance.

This is symptomatic of most car forums. People only want to discuss "serious" performance. "I want a gazilion horsepower, a turbo as big as a truck, and FMIC as big as a house, and I want to run the quarter in two seconds!" Reality is most people don't have the cash for "serious" performance, we're just jokers looking for a little kick in the pant.

The symtomatic problem of most car forums is people looking to do things the wrong way. Too many people jumping into things head first without hearing, nor listening, to the advice and information that people offer who's business resides in the field. I devote a good portion of my business to ensuring that my customers get every dimes worth they spend here. Two of my customers have had these STS systems to what they thought were good effect until I built them systems. Larger turbos, same boost pressure, different tune...but still the same drivability, emissions, and more power than before.

I'm not trying to start a war here with you people, it's a pointles battle that I'm obviously not going to win on this site and just won't waste any time with it. If you folks want to spend the money on such a kit for your car go right ahead. Fact is, for the similar money a proper kit can be built by a knowledable person that will provide far better driving characteristics and performance. If it wasn't possible half my business wouldn't be here, as every mother under the sun would be slapping a turbo on their tailpipe and calling it a day.

End of story from me.
Old 03-16-2008, 04:09 PM
Mr. Inappropriate

If you can build a custom "proper", "serious" yadayadayada system for the same price someone can put together a rear mount system, by all means, post up your business info so we can all drop by for a low cost turbo system.
Old 03-16-2008, 04:21 PM

Here's an option if not running an i/c
http://www.alkycontrol.com/

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IntrawebArgue.jpg (32.1 KB, 228 views)

Last edited by Schralper; 03-16-2008 at 04:32 PM.
Old 03-16-2008, 04:36 PM
Mr. Inappropriate

I So We Todd Did!
Old 03-16-2008, 08:32 PM
Porsche Autofanatiker

Quote:
If you can build a custom "proper", "serious" yadayadayada system for the same price someone can put together a rear mount system, by all means, post up your business info so we can all drop by for a low cost turbo system.

Atomotion Motorsports and Chassis
-Prototyping, CAD/CAM
-Tube/monocoque chassis and suspension fabrication
-Engine machining, assembly, and tuning services

Pattersonville, NY
518-225-8384

Leave message if I don't answer, I'm prepping a BMW IP M3 for Mid Ohio April 4th(cage, motor, suspension, etc) and will be grinding/welding 16hrs a day for the next two weeks.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:00 PM
Mr. Inappropriate

So uh, what about the inexpensive part? How much you get for a custom setup?