Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2002, 12:02 PM
UStifosi

Door Lock Question

I just purchased a '92 over the weekend. I have run into some trouble opening the passenger door. Through locking and unlocking the drivers door I have managed to come to a state where the only way I can open the passenger door (either from the inside or the outside) is if I simultaneously physically hold the door panel mounted locking button in the open (up) position and lift the outside door handle or the inside door handle. If I just lift the inside door handle it does nothing. If I try to unlock the door using the key...nothing happens...it stays locked.

I want to say that when I took the car for a test drive the passenger door handle worked properly and opened the door.

My guess is that the when the door is trying to be unlocked by a key the mechanism is too worn to unlock the latch and that by physically lifting the lock switch it rectifies the situation. The other part of me says that this is purely an electrical situation and that I have mistakenly disarmed the outer and inner door mechanism.

As a side note, I do not have the remote alarm setup.
Old 04-29-2002, 12:05 PM
Green1995SVX

Re: Door Lock Question

Quote:
Originally posted by UStifosi
I just purchased a '92 over the weekend. I have run into some trouble opening the passenger door. Through locking and unlocking the drivers door I have managed to come to a state where the only way I can open the passenger door (either from the inside or the outside) is if I simultaneously physically hold the door panel mounted locking button in the open (up) position and lift the outside door handle or the inside door handle. If I just lift the inside door handle it does nothing. If I try to unlock the door using the key...nothing happens...it stays locked.

I want to say that when I took the car for a test drive the passenger door handle worked properly and opened the door.

My guess is that the when the door is trying to be unlocked by a key the mechanism is too worn to unlock the latch and that by physically lifting the lock switch it rectifies the situation. The other part of me says that this is purely an electrical situation and that I have mistakenly disarmed the outer and inner door mechanism.

As a side note, I do not have the remote alarm setup.
It does have the keyless/alarm setup. I think the security module needs to be replaced. The dealer tried to program a remote to it, and it wouldnt work. This is a sign of needing a new module. (hope that helps)

-Mike
Old 04-29-2002, 01:14 PM
UStifosi

I presume you are referring to my car in particular since I think you are most familiar with it. What and where is the security module? How much $$$
Old 04-29-2002, 01:51 PM
Green1995SVX

Quote:
I presume you are referring to my car in particular since I think you are most familiar with it. What and where is the security module? How much $$$
It varys between svx's, but I believe in Andrew's... err... yours... it's behind the glove box. I would check with octagon exotic salvage. www.octagonauto.com for the part. They have a number of svx's for salvage, and your spoiler actually came from there

-Mike
Old 04-29-2002, 01:54 PM
Green1995SVX

Quote:
I think you are most familiar with it.
Andrews car was like one of my children. I always made sure he was doing everything right with it, and I helped him maintain it. I'm so sad to see it go...

-Mike
Old 04-29-2002, 02:26 PM
UStifosi

Don't worry. It's going to be babied quite a lot once I get familiar with it. So you think the door lock condition already existed and someone at the dealer tried to fix it by using a remote which didn't work. I would have thought that it was mechanical. I presume if you lock the drivers door with the key you should hear the lock motor attempting to lock the passengers door at the same time. If I don't then I think you're right in that it's alarm related and possibly the security module.
Old 04-29-2002, 02:42 PM
Green1995SVX

Quote:
Don't worry. It's going to be babied quite a lot once I get familiar with it. So you think the door lock condition already existed and someone at the dealer tried to fix it by using a remote which didn't work. I would have thought that it was mechanical. I presume if you lock the drivers door with the key you should hear the lock motor attempting to lock the passengers door at the same time. If I don't then I think you're right in that it's alarm related and possibly the security module.
Oh, I agree, the door lock issue is unrelated. And, as far as i know, that all worked correctly before.

I was commenting on what you said about it not having the security system. Basically I was saying it does, but it's broken. I believe it needs a new module, because we tried programing a new transmitter to it, and the transmitter wouldnt read the car.

-Mike
Old 04-29-2002, 02:47 PM
Green1995SVX

Also, to clarify that, we borrowed the transmitter from the subaru dealer. (It was new.) and tried programing it under the direction of the service manager of the dealer. (We were doing it correctly. )

-Mike
Old 04-29-2002, 04:35 PM
EverclearAtMSU

Quote:
Originally posted by Green1995SVX

[url]www.octagonauto.com[/url
me thinks mike is a spokesman for octagon auto. or at least should be
Old 04-29-2002, 06:22 PM
Green1995SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by EverclearAtMSU

me thinks mike is a spokesman for octagon auto. or at least should be
I'm actually not too fond of the place... I just want people to order parts so they pick up mor svx's so I can pick them over

-Mike
Old 04-30-2002, 06:58 AM
UStifosi

Presto, a new day arrives and the door locking mechanism now works....must have been operator error! I did ask Andrew about the alarm when I bought it and he said he didn't have the remote so thanks for the info on the attempted reprogram. Since you are most familiar with SVX's and this specific vehicle in general...

-It appears the driver's window and passengers window is scratched. I presume if I buy new glass I still should look into the cause of the scratching within the door panel. Any ideas of the cause?

-When I push the heated mirror light nothing lights up. Does the heater need to be on? Fuse blown?

-What is your experience with subaruparts.com?

-Andrew said he installed a tornado downwind of the air filter. I forget how that works and what it does.

-I've read varying stories on the tranny issue...do you think it will prolong the life of the unit if I drive in D3 around town? Andrew mentioned he was going to install an aftermarket tranny cooler. Doesn't the '92 come stock with a factory unit (albeit inadequate)?
Which model would you recommend?
Old 04-30-2002, 10:15 AM
Green1995SVX

-It appears the driver's window and passengers window is scratched. I presume if I buy new glass I still should look into the cause of the scratching within the door panel. Any ideas of the cause?

The thing scratching the glass is a thing in the door which holds the glass in place as it goes up and down. It is a metal piece with a "fuzzy" end. The fuzz picks up dirt and the dirt scratches the window. This is common, and almost all svx's have this problem.

-When I push the heated mirror light nothing lights up. Does the heater need to be on? Fuse blown?

The illuminating light is probably burnt out. You will also notice, at night, that some of the lights higher on the dash, "Cruise, Foglights, etc..." Are also burnt out. This is also a common problem with the svx. All of mine are burnt out. A side note, the last time I drove andrews car, both the fog lights were burnt out... I dont know if he fixed that yet, but you may want to check The bulb size is H3, and you can pick them up for under $10 from your local auto parts store.

-What is your experience with subaruparts.com?

My experience with subaruparts.com has been hit or miss. Sometimes i have the parts 2 days later, other times I wait 2 weeks... Still a good deal.

-Andrew said he installed a tornado downwind of the air filter. I forget how that works and what it does.

I'm not a believer in the tornado, but it's claims are that it boosts power and gets you better gas milage. Andrew claims it works.

-I've read varying stories on the tranny issue...do you think it will prolong the life of the unit if I drive in D3 around town? Andrew mentioned he was going to install an aftermarket tranny cooler. Doesn't the '92 come stock with a factory unit (albeit inadequate)?

The 92 model cooler is prone to clogging, and is also too small. Andrew's transmission is VERY new, and I suspect if you install an aftermarket cooler it will serve you well for years to come. I have a B&M transmission cooler, and I believe that is the cooler of choice among svxers.

-Mike
Old 04-30-2002, 12:05 PM
UStifosi

You are dead on.

The door glass I will have to rethink unless there is some improved aftermarket solution.

I noticed the dashlight problem on the way home...bad bulbs or whatever. A swift tap to the top of the dash cured the same problem on my Acura Vigor once...this sounds more serious. What are the chances of tearing apart the dashboard? Is that a big job?

I suspected both fog lights to be burnt. What a conincidence.

I have a Subaru dealer 3 miles away. Do you find subaruparts.com significantly cheaper than the dealer?

I take it that all trannys rebuilt today have the metal gasket rather then the stock material for '92-'93?
Old 04-30-2002, 12:36 PM
Green1995SVX

The door glass I will have to rethink unless there is some improved aftermarket solution.

The only solution is to replace those regularors in there.

I noticed the dashlight problem on the way home...bad bulbs or whatever. A swift tap to the top of the dash cured the same problem on my Acura Vigor once...this sounds more serious. What are the chances of tearing apart the dashboard? Is that a big job?

They are bad bulbs... I have had that all apart, and checked them out, Radio shack couldnt find a bulb that fit correctly... they are VERY small, about the size of a grain of rice. I have not yet checked with the subie dealer for them.

I suspected both fog lights to be burnt. What a conincidence.

Like I said, the car was like one of my children. PS - You have one of my 10mm sockets in your engine bay somewhere... I lost it in there when doing andrew's power steering O-ring

I have a Subaru dealer 3 miles away. Do you find subaruparts.com significantly cheaper than the dealer?

I dont find the hassle of subaruparts.com to be worth the discount unless it is a really big item. Even then, you can try to get your local dealer to match their price.

I take it that all trannys rebuilt today have the metal gasket rather then the stock material for '92-'93?

I dont know the answer to that, but my guess is you're correct.

-Mike
Old 05-03-2002, 06:18 AM
UStifosi

An update on the fog light situation...

I checked the fuse and it was blown. Temporarily I replaced it with the fuse for the optional phone, same 15A. Still no lights. I replaced both bulbs. The driver's side now works but the passenger side does not. Any ideas? I guess I'll have to drag out voltmeter to see if the socket is getting any juice. If it is not can I pull power from something nearby?

On a different note, when ATF is needed which type do you use. The level in the tranny now is fine, just curious.