SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-29-2002, 11:54 PM
Only SVX @ UCF (Cool!)

Send a message via AIM to svxjoe
Question K & N Air Filter???

I got a question......

When I install The K & N filter into my car will I need to make any adjustments to the computer or whatever? I want to avoid disconnecting my battery (like suggested to reset computer) because it will also reset my programmed c.d. player and I don't want to have re-program all my titles and settings on it. If anyone knows, please let me know.
Thank-you!
Joe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg joecar-sidefromabove.jpg (339.6 KB, 129 views)
Old 03-30-2002, 07:25 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Joe,

I have been using the K&N filter element in my '97 SVX LSi for many miles. It is the flat element which fits into the std. filter box.
You don't need to disconnect the battery. The other K&N fiter (the truncated conical one) sucks hot air from the engine compartment. Because the air is hot , you car's performance will suffer.

Larry III
Old 03-30-2002, 11:45 AM
Hater

a little info about K&N air filters.....
i currently own a Porsche 928 and had a K&N filter for it. i removed it after learnng that a 928 performance dealer dynojetted 928's with and without K&N's and found that the K&N filter gave no gain or a LOSS of gain. this may be a different story for the SVX, however here was the kicker....it was found that the K&N allows fine dust through the filtering element. even if it would give a 5hp increase for the SVX, is it worth letting crap into your engine? yeah, its re-useable, but filters aren't THAT expensive. i'm not gonna gamble for a tiny potential hp gain. Your miles may vary...

Alan
Old 03-30-2002, 01:59 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: K & N Air Filter???

Quote:
Originally posted by svxjoe
I got a question......

When I install The K & N filter into my car will I need to make any adjustments to the computer or whatever? I want to avoid disconnecting my battery (like suggested to reset computer) because it will also reset my programmed c.d. player and I don't want to have re-program all my titles and settings on it. If anyone knows, please let me know.
Thank-you!
Joe
Joe,
Your ECU is always "learning." It will adjust itself to whatever conditions you present to it. If airflow is different, your ECU will adjust accordingly without your having to "reset."

I've been using the K&N drop-in for about 40K miles. I saw a definite increase in performance in comparison to the stock filter (don't faint, everyone. So my filter ain't stock. ). Just make sure you don't over-oil it, and make sure it's completely dry when you clean it, before replacing the oil.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 03-30-2002, 03:40 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
If anyone wants one for free, there's one floating in the dumpster behind the shop...

Beav
Old 03-30-2002, 04:17 PM
dart

Quote:
Originally posted by Landshark
a little info about K&N air filters.....
i currently own a Porsche 928 and had a K&N filter for it. i removed it after learnng that a 928 performance dealer dynojetted 928's with and without K&N's and found that the K&N filter gave no gain or a LOSS of gain. this may be a different story for the SVX, however here was the kicker....it was found that the K&N allows fine dust through the filtering element. even if it would give a 5hp increase for the SVX, is it worth letting crap into your engine? yeah, its re-useable, but filters aren't THAT expensive. i'm not gonna gamble for a tiny potential hp gain. Your miles may vary...

Alan
I file K&N stuff in the same drawer as Duralube and other snake-oil type products.
Old 03-30-2002, 10:04 PM

Larry, where did you get your filter?
Dave
Old 04-02-2002, 04:57 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Those rims are pretty cool. I like it.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 04-02-2002, 07:39 PM
One teal and One yellow

Re: K & N Air Filter???

Talking about the K&N drop-in filter (replacement) type.....

as i know, you will get the benefits as gaining some horsepowers, improving gas mileages.. better air flow.....i know that's life-time product....

for some of you that have been using the K&N drop-in replacement filter for long time.... do you agree that it'll help improving the gas mileages on the SVXes?? i read somewhere that someone says, if the computer senses that's more air going into the engine, it'll inject more fuel... >> so not really help saving gas??

i personally agree with that the fliter will help gaining more horsepower, especially at high rpms... smoother, better pick-up... my SVX came with the K&N drop-in filter so i can't compare what are the differences in btwn gas mileages and performances... but i had K&N air filter's experiences w/ other cars....

PS: 200th post long way to go...
PS: i thought we can easily get K&N air filter at local auto parts stores...it may not be the best price...but won't be much differences..it's not a very expensive product...

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 04-02-2002, 08:17 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
If it allows more air and the car injects more fuel, you'll be going faster and you'll lift your foot from the accelerator, no?

Beav
Old 04-02-2002, 09:43 PM
Only SVX @ UCF (Cool!)

Send a message via AIM to svxjoe
Thanks for the info....

Thank-you to everyone who informed me about the K&N filters.
I ordered mine from Napa today and it should be here by Friday (4/5/02). It ran me $45 plus the frieght cost to ship $3 and then tax....so my total was about $53.00.
I've been keeping close track of my gas mileage and the average for me around town is 18.24 miles/gallon, and interstate travel is about 20 miles/gallon. I hope to see some kind of increase these.
As for performance.....I'll have to take it to the track (1/4 mile) to really tell the difference. Right now, I run an average of 15.9 seconds in the 1/4 mile, maybe with the K&N filter I'll see an average of 15.7
We will have to see...........
Thanks to everyone again!
Joe
Old 04-03-2002, 06:24 PM

Registered SVX
Snake Oil and Suckers

dart & Beav,

Love the Ò Snake Oil Ò and free one in the trash. Spot on but few are listening or thinking. Bull**** costs advertising dollars built into the product and guess who pays and gets an inferior product to boot.

Think on it; the fact is that maximum performance will be achieved with no filter at all !

Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 04-03-2002, 06:44 PM
dart

Re: Snake Oil and Suckers

Quote:
Originally posted by Trevor
dart & Beav,

Love the Ò Snake Oil Ò and free one in the trash. Spot on but few are listening or thinking. Bull**** costs advertising dollars built into the product and guess who pays and gets an inferior product to boot.

Think on it; the fact is that maximum performance will be achieved with no filter at all !

Trevor.
If only it weren't for all those darn particulates grinding the insides of my engine away I'd toss the stock filter.
Old 04-03-2002, 07:29 PM
Hater

if i remove my transmission filter, will my car shift faster, too? don't forget to stick a Tornado gizmo in after the K&N filter - you'll get even MORE horsepower! there will be more air coming through the K&N for the Tornado to "swirl into power." the K&N may not help fuel economy, but you can stick magnet devices on your fuel lines to fix that. who needs a supercharger? OK, i'll stop now.
Alan
Old 04-06-2002, 02:49 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
I have a K&N drop in, my wife doesn't. On 800 mile highway trips with either car we get about the same exact mileage. 25-26 if I'm driving - 27 if she is - no matter which car. I like the K&N but I have no proof that it does anything dramatic. I think the weight of the right foot has alot more to do with it - but I don't plan on removing my K&N anytime soon and I don't plan on installing one in her svx either.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.