Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Supercharged Projects

Old 08-23-2005, 10:15 PM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
ECUtune Stage 2v4

Announcing ECUtune Stage 2v4

Ok, we recently changed the stage 2 software from nitrous oxide tuning to tuning for using a z32 maf meter. The main impetus for this change was to make it possible for the engine management system to measure more airflow and open the doors to forced induction on the SVX; however, there seemed to be significant interest in using this modification on naturally aspirated SVX's and there seemed to be good reason to expect good results could be attained with some revisions. The recently released stage2v3 has thus been revised and with these revisions we have been able get a nice increase in torque while expanding the power output that can be met by the stock injectors.

This software now not only paves the way for supercharging, turbocharging, and running higher rpms but improves performance on a stock SVX.

It is based on the Stage 1v4 software and thus has the same fuel map modifcations and ignition advance revision table modifications which greatly improve around the town drivability and part throttle responseiveness. In the Stage 1 software the base ignition timing map was left unaltered in order to avoid any problems for people who live in areas where 93 octane is not available. This software is specifically geared towards those much more performance oriented and thus base ignition timing advance is modified to take advantage improvements in accuracy of airflow measurements and of changes we've made in afr to increase torque.

The Stage 2 software allows the use of a z32 maf meter on the SVX. The airflow on a healthy stock svx is reaching the limits of the factory SVX mass air flow meter. Airflow at 6400 rpms reads as 4.4 volts on our demo car with the SVX mass air meter which is capable of putting out from 0 to 4.8 volts. The z32 meter is capable of measuring much higher airflows, above 500 hp worth of air. Airflow at 6400 rpms reads as 3.7 volts on the z32 maf meter.

The voltage from the maf meter is used by the ecu to look up a value in a translation table which reprsents airflow. This value is later scaled by a constant. We've adjusted both the translation table and the constant.

This is what the factory translation curves look like. They give a value for every .08 volt of maf voltage. The values in the svx table are higher than those of the z32 table but the z32 table values are multiplied by a larger constant. It's the result of the table value times the constant that results in comparable #'s

There aren't enough digits available in the svx ecu software to make the constant big enough to match the z32 maf meter so we have multiplied the difference through the translation table values. If we were going to leave it at that, as we did in the stage2v3 software this is what the table would look like:

In version 4 we've made further adjustments to the translation table which bring the afr down at lower airflows and bring it up at high airlfows. In the stock svx the car runs richer than necessary at high rpms. By bringing the translation table values for higher voltages down we are able to provide fuel for higher airflows before reaching the limits of the fuel injectors. Because this meter measures high airflows much more accurately there are no voltage fluctuations at high ouput which cause variation in afr between cyllinders and revolutions which necessitate a lower afr and less ignition advance. This is what the table looks like after our adjustments.

Once multiplied by the ratios of the constants used you can see the airflow being measured by the z32 meter in comparison to the svx meter.

The result of our modifications of the translation table are that the afr at wot throttle is now in the range of 12.9 to 12.4 on our demo car which has a walboro fuel pump. A stock svx will run slightly leaner, an svx with an impreza fuel pressure regulator will run slightly richer, and an svx with both a walboro fuel pump and an impreza fuel pressure regulator will run richer still. All scenarios should work fine with this software.

Having richened the afr at low airflows and increased the accuracy of the afr control and ignition advance control at high air flows we were able to substantially increase ignition timing advance for torque gains.

The stock ignition advance table looks like this:

The stage2v4 ignition timing table looks like this:

We made some pulls on the dynapack dyno at mastro to see our results and posted some very nice #'s. All measurements are very accurate and were repeated with extremely tight tollerances. We have a comparison plot between the tsb rom software and the stage2v4 software. With the walboro fuel pump both performed very well but stage2v4 posted some very nice torque gains and was able to maintain power at high airflows despite our leaning out the afr. The factory tsb rom actually did really well with the addition of the walboro fuel pump. (wrx's with manual transmissions put down 168 on this dyno, with an extra 5% loss we're obviously doing well better than either a stock wrx or stock svx and it was 93 degrees today) The added fuel pressure really seams to help with the stock software. I'd have to say that a walboro fuel pump or impreza fpr would be a good modification for those with 96 and 97 svx's who don't yet have the option of getting our software. It has about the same effect on afr so wide open throttle performance is basically the same as stage1v4 is on a stock svx although you won't see the around town, part throttle performance enhancements seen from the ignition revision table modifications which our software offers. Back to the goodies......In the plot you can easily see how much more acurate the z32 meter is at measuring high airflows by the absence of jaggedy thingys at high rpms. With the stage2v4 software power and torque is increased all the way through 5900 rpms with substantial low and mid end torque gains.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:37 PM
ilsegretosvx

Can you put the numbers in comparison to stock so we can go oohhh ahhhh
Old 08-23-2005, 10:43 PM
Just some dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilsegretosvx
Can you put the numbers in comparison to stock so we can go oohhh ahhhh

Both are in that plot. The higher torque line is stage2v4 the lower is the stock tsb rom. The higher power line is stage2v4 the lower is the stock tsb rom.
Old 08-23-2005, 11:50 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
so basically by doing this mod it will smooth out the torque and hp curves while still obtaining slightly larger #'s?? I am curious as to how much the stage 1 and an imrezza fpr would effect the peformance?? I understand the advantage of converting to the Z32 meter if you are going Forced induction but for those of us looking for better N/A #'s will we be getting much bang for the buck?? Don't get me wrong, I think you do amazing work and none of this is cheap for you but I am a little shaky on the price for that if I am remaining N/A. I am thinking it may be more practical for me to buy stage 1 and upgrade to an imprezza FPR. What do you think??

Tom
Old 08-24-2005, 12:32 AM
Just some dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX
so basically by doing this mod it will smooth out the torque and hp curves while still obtaining slightly larger #'s?? I am curious as to how much the stage 1 and an imrezza fpr would effect the peformance?? I understand the advantage of converting to the Z32 meter if you are going Forced induction but for those of us looking for better N/A #'s will we be getting much bang for the buck?? Don't get me wrong, I think you do amazing work and none of this is cheap for you but I am a little shaky on the price for that if I am remaining N/A. I am thinking it may be more practical for me to buy stage 1 and upgrade to an imprezza FPR. What do you think??

Tom

A stage one with an impreza fpr will loose wide open throttle power not increase it, the two don't combine effectively. I wouldn't characterize the #'s as "slightly larger either." That's an awfully large torque increase without any engine modifications. This is the best you are going to get without tearing into the engine, going to forced induction, or adding nitrous. I think it's a good "bang for the buck;" it's what was asked for. Maybe just more buck than you are looking to spend. Unfortunately there is no such thing as a cheap mod to get more power beyond a stage 1 or upped fuel pressure. Combining the two isn't cummulative they work against eachother.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:37 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Ok... You answered my questions thuroughly. Thank you.

Tom
Old 08-24-2005, 06:28 AM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Nice results Michael. Looks like the stage 2v4 chip & Z32 MAF really improves hp & tq throughtout the curve. 176whp is sweet!

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 08-24-2005, 07:16 AM
Subaru Swapper

Send a message via AIM to AFBeefcake
I have 1v4 right now.
I plan on staying NA.
Would there be any gain in going to 2v4?
Would adding a walbro fuel pump to ether 1v4 or 2v4 be an a good idear?
Old 08-24-2005, 08:26 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
"..the absence of jaggedy thingys at high rpms..."

Michael,
There you go getting all technical on us

Seriously, I like what you've done with the 2v4 w/z32 combination. Think you could post the AFR curve that goes with the Hp/Torque curves you posted? Can you also post (you've probably already done this is the past...) exactly what mods you've done on your test car and how many miles are on the engine.
Thanks!!

-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 08-24-2005, 08:31 AM
On a SVX board with a Z31 name

Send a message via AIM to MaxImUmZ Send a message via Yahoo to MaxImUmZ
Price for upgrade from stage 1?
Old 08-24-2005, 08:42 AM
That's gona leave a mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxImUmZ
Price for upgrade from stage 1?
$329. . .

$429 for the whole box
and $647 w/ z32 MAF

the Chick Magnet:
91 Justy GL EFI 4x4 154k (new motor @120k)

90 Yamaha V-Max
82 Yamaha XJ650LJ Turbo
My Diver Propulsion vehicle:
88 Jeep Cherokee 160k
"U-sta-have"
88 XT6 AWD Pearl,
86 XT Lt Blue,
85 XT AWD/4x4 Turbo Space Blue
Old 08-24-2005, 09:56 AM
On a SVX board with a Z31 name

Send a message via AIM to MaxImUmZ Send a message via Yahoo to MaxImUmZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssnsltd
$329. . .

$429 for the whole box
and $647 w/ z32 MAF
yea i can check the site too, i just didnt know if it was gonna cost more for v4 as opposed to v3
Old 08-24-2005, 10:08 AM
Just some dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFBeefcake
I have 1v4 right now.
I plan on staying NA.
Would there be any gain in going to 2v4?
Would adding a walbro fuel pump to ether 1v4 or 2v4 be an a good idear?

Yes there is a very nice torque gain in going to 2v4. 1v4 with a stock fuel pump and fpr regulator is about the same at wide open throttle as the factory tsb rom is with the fuel pump or fuel pressure regulator. An increase in fuel pressure has the same effect as the 1v4 software for wide open throttle performance, both get rid of the lean condition which causes ignition retard and intermittent hessitation problems. Because they both add extra fuel doing both together causes a power loss at high rpms due to an excessively rich afr. In the case of 1v4 and raising your fuel pressure you do one or the other and 1v4 offers much better part throttle performance, the ability to run 87 octane if desired, and a raised rev limit.

With stage 2v4 however the afr for higher air flow rates has been leaned out in order to let the injectors work for higher air flow rates and allow the fuel pressure to be raised without any performance loss. The 2v4 software should work well with or without the fuel pump and with or without an impreza fpr.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:32 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by longassname
*snip*

With stage 2v4 however the afr for higher air flow rates has been leaned out in order to let the injectors work for higher air flow rates and allow the fuel pressure to be raised without any performance loss. The 2v4 software should work well with or without the fuel pump and with or without an impreza fpr.
now we're talking!!
now, about those AFR curves..
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 08-24-2005, 10:39 AM
Just some dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide
now we're talking!!
now, about those AFR curves..
-Bill

We didn't get afr plots at the dyno. The pipe they have for their wideband now doesn't fit in our tailpipe and the plug for their wideband is different than our wideband plug. The afr is easy enough to picture without a plot. It goes from 12.9 at low rpms to 12.4 at high rpms.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: