I have grinding in some gears that has developed 3 20.00%
My 5speed runs good other then unexplainable vibrations 2 13.33%
i have ruined a gearbox from abuse. 0 0%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-07-2005, 12:48 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
POLL: 5 SPEED Status

Im talking about 5spd transmission in an SVX. IF your car has synchro grind, runs smoothly, or has broken a transmission let me know!

03 forester box
, 10k miles, 50 or so track runs and unexplainable number of launches. 2nd clutch. Runs smooth as the day i installed it.

Last edited by Phast SVX; 02-07-2005 at 12:51 PM.
Old 02-07-2005, 01:00 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
While I haven't picked it up yet, Huck's 5-speed has a 5th gear syncro issue and needs to be double-clutched sometimes. I'm not too worried about it though as it is easy and cheap enough to replace the tranny with another one should serious issues arise with it.

Johnny

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.
Old 02-07-2005, 01:34 PM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by CigarJohnny
While I haven't picked it up yet, Huck's 5-speed has a 5th gear syncro issue and needs to be double-clutched sometimes. I'm not too worried about it though as it is easy and cheap enough to replace the tranny with another one should serious issues arise with it.

Johnny

And it has had the Syncro issue ever since I installed it, so it's nothing new....I mean the tranny does have about 185k on it....so a little worn syncro is to be expected....
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 02-07-2005, 03:20 PM

Send a message via AIM to want-a-fast-svx
started off with stock wrx gear box....that grenaded after only a few months..Now im running whith the Ra gears and have no grinding issues when the clutch actually works like its supposed to..However i still have the problem of the car totally stalling when slowing down and still in gear and putting into neutral. Other than the stalling its been fine and very much improved the fun factor of driving the svx. Im running a Sti flywheel/clutch package...Slips like crazy if the rpms arent really really low, however to low and it likes to stall....
Old 02-07-2005, 05:11 PM

trannie from a 90,or 91 awd legacy. Well i voted for grinding occuring from use, but really it always had some grinding if you shift to fast, but it been getting worse. The trannie either has around 230,000, or about 130,000 miles, so i genraly just double clutch to prevent grinding. I have to admit that that from all of the broken trannie threads at nasioc i thought i was going to break my trannie before now. It only has about 8000 miles on the swap but that was a semi abusive 8000 miles. I never droped the clutch when its been dry out, but i have when its been semi wet and i even got it to spin all 4 coming out dry tight corners a couple of times. One upgrade i would recomend is upgrading to a 20kg STi center diff because i some times have gotten either the front of the rear wheels to start spinning, and hopefulley a sti center diff would fix it.
Old 02-07-2005, 05:14 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
About 6k miles on my 02 WRX tranny with STi RA gears. No probs so far, but I haven't really worked it that hard. Less than 10 hard launches. Clutch shudders badly though. Probably my fault. Overheated the flywheel by trying to modulate the clutch while launching for a few 1/4 miles runs.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 02-07-2005, 07:59 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Stock 2002 WRX tranny. The gears don't grind except for the bad hydraulic clutch hose that must have swelled and is not allowing the clutch to come up all the way anymore unless I lift it with my foot. As a result I don't get a good release and therefore grinding.

Eventually I'll replace it with an STi braided hose.

About 13 months since the swap was completed.
- 1 trip to Reading
- 1 trip to northern Alberta
- 2 autocross events

I'm not sure how I should vote this one.
Old 02-07-2005, 08:11 PM
Ciscokid

<<< wishes he had a 5 speed so he could vote and give his opinion
Old 02-07-2005, 08:22 PM
Giong back to the beaters...

Quote:
Originally posted by Ciscokid
<<< wishes he had a 5 speed so he could vote and give his opinion
Ditto
89 240sx se red ~165k miles Gone and unknown
89 240sx se Black~185k R.I.P.
85 Toyota pickup ~205k R.I.P.
85 BMW 325e ~ Gone and unknown
85 Ford Mustang getting engine swap now!
05 Colorado ~108k Daily Driver
Old 02-07-2005, 08:28 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
My 5mt is running pretty good. 6k since swap was done. 4k in my possesion. It has whining in 1st and a little in second. I voted for the grinding because it is best described as that. Otherwise runs like a charm. Launched 3 times semi-hard, I am saving all my good stuff for the track. Spec stage 2 kevlar clutch with minimal chatter and Kartboy short shifter and bushing. Shifts like a dream and fast as hell. Looking into a built box to install this summer to handle stage 2 nitrous.

Tom(love those 5speeds)
Old 02-07-2005, 08:44 PM
Superbeast

Well I've never had a stalling issue or any other run issue. It did have a starter problem along with the high idle stick on start up. Other than that I blew fifth gear out of my first Turbo Lrgacy tranny (freak thing) and second gear started grinding badly on my second Turbo Leg tranny (after a hard day at the strip) I will let you know how the 6 speed holds up if I ever get my friggen stubs!
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 02-08-2005, 10:25 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
That's right, I also had the starter issue. Did you fix your high idle issue? I just put in a switch to fool the ECU I was in neutral.
Old 02-08-2005, 07:42 PM
Superbeast

Not really, it would only do it first thing in the morning and so would the starting thing. Ussually all I would have to do is shut it off and restart to make it idle normal but with the starting problem I was lucky to get it started once let alone twice. I'll see how it works out with the 6 speed.

What exactly did you wire up and does it work well?
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 02-08-2005, 10:35 PM
livin in AZ

Vibrations

Aproaching 7000 miles and 6 months after swap have a little vibration in first, other than that there are no other problems. I have a 2000 RS transmission,STi short shifter and tranny mount with KB bushings and an Exedy clucth. When I can afford some RA gears I will try to find a WRX fifth gear.
Darren

Social Distortion

1992 LS-L Pearl White :Optima Red Top, Motorsports Warehouse drop springs and swaybar bushings, Race Concepts slotted and dimpled rotors ,SS brake lines,semi-metalic brake pads, 4.11 5 speed, STi short shifter and tranny mount, Exedy sport clutch, Kartboy shifter bushings, intake silencer removed, ECU Tune Stage 1 v4
Old 02-09-2005, 10:25 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
The vibration in 1st gear is probably the drive shaft. I had the same thing. Switched out to a new driveshaft, and the problem was gone.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.