How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-18-2005, 06:06 PM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

Door lock problem

Ok im having a major door lock problem....major because im from NY...i think u get the picture. For the last few days ive been unable to lock my car from the outside on the drivers side door. The center lock switch works fine...and locking the door inside from the door itself works perfect. I even tried the passenger door and thats fine. What happens is that ill put the key in the door....and i cant turn it at all. It started happening last week....it progressivley got worse and got more difficult to turn the key as it got colder. Happened to me at work last week...opened the passenger just to unlock the drivers side door. After driving around for a while with the heat on i was able to lock it from the outside. This never was a problem last winter or during the summer. I even tried putting some lock de icer in there and no luck. I want to be able to lock my door...people in NY are savages. I also have another question. I dont have a remote for the security system...but if i turn it on will the doors lock on their own?

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 01-18-2005, 06:28 PM

I'm guessing the lock is just worn out. Will it reliably unlock?

FYI (in case you didn't know), you can lock the doors by locking from inside, then hold the door handle up as you close the door - they stay locked.
Old 01-18-2005, 06:34 PM

Didnt know that Lee...but i wouldnt be able to unlock it . How much for a new lock....install easy? I dont think its worn out though....i think its probably weather related

Old 01-18-2005, 06:41 PM

I have no idea on price or difficulty. If you were to swap it out, then the key would not match the ignition/doors - unless you had a locksmith do his magic thing.

Have you tried some powdered graphite lubrication in the lock mechanism...squirt a bit of powder into the key hole & wiggle the key to distribute the product. Should only be a buck or two to try.
Old 01-18-2005, 06:49 PM

Where would i be able to get something like that?

Old 01-18-2005, 06:52 PM

I would think any auto parts store, or probably Ace Hardware, or any good key making place. It's a common key-lock lube product.
Old 01-18-2005, 07:29 PM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
check out this thread, it may help if you feel like a little project. If you have any ?'s feel free.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...=door+lock+fix

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 01-22-2005, 08:51 AM

Looks like it was just frozen solid or needing some lube. I sprayed a whole can of de icer in the key hole and it opens beautifully now....and with so much ease...worked great!

Old 01-22-2005, 11:41 AM
SVX Appeal

Yes, lots and lots and lots of lubricant is the solution to frozen locks. I guess you found that out. ...that or keeping them dry. Frequently the dust cover gets stuck or bent and then water gets in easily.

Usually changing locks isn't terribly difficult, but I've never looked at the ones on the SVX. (If you can change the sparks plugs on an SVX, the lock should be possible. )

Locks wear out differently. Sometimes a locksmith can recondition them, sometimes they know exactly who makes the cylinder and where to get another. The alternative is to ask the dealership. If they can get you one, any locksmith can have it re-keyed to match. You could also try swapping the passenger and driver side locks if they're symmetrical, or just the cylinders if they're not.

...and the factory key fobs operate the locks. You might just go that route.
Old 01-22-2005, 12:46 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Wiz Send a message via AIM to Wiz Send a message via Yahoo to Wiz
I know my locks worked at one point but at 0F outside the key is useless and I can't use the remote much either because the locks get so stuck the car can't unlock when you push the button. I usually have to try 5-6 times to get it unlocked with the remote.

I'm just assuming the SVX locks don't work well in the extreme cold. The problems get progressivly worse with the lower temps.
Old 01-23-2005, 01:05 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Think about it....

The outside key won't turn the lock cylinder at or below freezing.

But you could lock it from inside , which is lever-operator.

And it worked when you used de-icer.

All of this points to one thing; the presence of water in the tumbler mechanism.

This water is held in your lock by dirt. When the dirt/water mixture freezes, the lock sticks.

Solution:
When it is warm enough, well above freezing, you need to force feed the lock with WD-40, or better still, an aerosol of dedicated penetrating oil. You need the can with the capillary pipe fitted to the nozzle, so you can force oil deep into the lock.

This process will wash the dirt down into your door-frame. You will need to spray in loads of penetrating oil to shift the crud. 2 to 5 times more than you think is appropriate. Operate the key left-right, left-right, then spray again. And again.

When all the dust and dirt is washed out of your tumblers, there will be nothing in the lock to soak and hold water. Guarantee it will not freeze up if you get [and keep!!!] the lock clean.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl