Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2003, 04:25 PM
not just a fan, a Member!

dropping prices on the svx

i just realized that the prices on the svx have been dropping dramatically over the past year...
i remember when i got mine last year, all the online evaluation sites were quoting 92s at about 4k, but now it seems like 92s are barely worth 3k and with trade in values of sub 2k? wow...

kinda saddened by the fact that our dream machine really isn't worth anything to anyone else...
mrspyder: gotta have a drop top in cali...

always looking for a reliable 5spd svx...
Old 10-13-2003, 05:51 AM
Phil & Belha

Yeah, I agree with you, but I think that we will soon reach a point where depreciation stops.

On a similar note, I've been looking at Legacies lately and I'm absolutely astounded by the residual value. Even a 10 year old with 100K+ miles sells for over 4000 UK pounds . Most mainstream cars (eg. vauxhall cavalier) with that age and mileage would be under 1000 pounds.

The moral of the story is, when selling, advertise your SVX as a Legacy 3.3 Coupe.
Old 10-13-2003, 06:04 AM
omahasubaru

trade-in on the SVX I just purchased was 3495, retail was 4575.

What are you using to check the value? I had the dealer run their NADA book software based on the VIN number. They did this and ran a carfax for me & I was buying the car privately. They are so helpful.

Maybe you guys have a look of miles on your car or something.
Old 10-13-2003, 06:17 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

There is the NADA, Kelly Blue Book and Edmunds. I think comparison prints out from each year from all 3 would have to be made. For example, I have a 92 that I bought 3 years ago. Every year I would have to get the same report printed out to check what the value is. Actually this would be a nice database to have for every year.

In reality though, the condition of the SVX is the most important factor. Suppose you bought an SVX for $2k, repainted the car for $6k, redid the wheels/tires $1k and resealed the engine $1k and the interior was in great shape. That car would be worth more than $10k easy and none of the books would have that value.

Last edited by svx_commuter; 10-13-2003 at 07:27 AM.
Old 10-13-2003, 06:43 AM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

super

isn't it great though? the dropping price of the svx. we all can afford a stable like some of the fine members of this board. if all goes well, one day every svx worth owning will be to all the members on the board. then it would really be rare!
Old 10-13-2003, 07:31 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Well I would like that also but I know a 1992 svx, my favorite, for $2k will require at least another $4k to $8K(tranny) to get it running right adn more to getting looking great. I think nobody is going to sell a 92 for 2k if everything is working right and it looks good.
Old 10-13-2003, 12:18 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
I never figured that my car would do anything but depreciate. I knew when I bought it that nobody else in the world wanted it. I didn't buy the car as an investment - I bought it because I love it. Even if my SVX is never worth anything, I'll still have it and I'll still answer the 'is that car a 2015 model?' questions.

I love this car. I love the circumstances it was built under and I love what it represented to the people who built it. Maybe someday that will make it worth something to somebody else, but I doubt it. I'll still be entering mine in classic shows so people can gawk at it and ask, 'what the hell is that? I've never seen one before!'

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 10-13-2003, 12:48 PM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

re: actually it will eventually be worth more

actually as the numbers decrease and if our passion for the svx does not, then it will definitely go up in price. maybe not in the blue book or green book but to the svx'ers. hopefully i'll be able to keep mine for a while, but if something happens to my current svx, i would have to go searching again. it took me 3 months to find this one...god knows how long it will take to find another that i'll like. if i can't find one, i'm forced to buy more expensive ones. but until the day i die, i will definitely be a svx owner.
Old 10-13-2003, 01:21 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
Re: super

Quote:
Originally posted by Noir
isn't it great though? the dropping price of the svx. we all can afford a stable like some of the fine members of this board. if all goes well, one day every svx worth owning will be to all the members on the board. then it would really be rare!

Dropping prices mean just that....which includes dropping the price that a accident(a cracked headlight and bumper) that they total our cars out
phil
Old 10-13-2003, 01:30 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
It has dropped a little. Where I am the Kelly Blue Book retail value was $7200 a year ago. Now it is $6800.

Next time I buy an SVX I will do it around where you guys live. They are half the value they hold here in PA. Meybe I could go into business buying them there and selling them here for double my money.

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.
Old 10-13-2003, 03:06 PM
not just a fan, a Member!

hmm... would anyone really pay 10k for a 92 with 110k miles (avg. 10k a year) re-sealed engine, great interior, newer paint job, aftermarket rims, and 5spd tranny? personally i cannot see how a 92 in that condition can fetch anything more than 8k, if that at all...

but, this is what i love about this board... the passion and the devoution to the svx!!
mrspyder: gotta have a drop top in cali...

always looking for a reliable 5spd svx...
Old 10-13-2003, 03:28 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Andy
93(K) SUBARU SVX 3.3 AWD COUPE,
Bright Red, 80000 miles, Anti-lock Brakes, Drivers Air Bag, Alarm, Alloy Wheels, 4-speed Automatic Gearbox, Climate Control, Cruise Control, Electric Seats, Electric Windows, Power Steering, Rear Wash Wipe, Service History, Electric Sunroof, 1 Year Warranty, Engine Immobiliser £9995.

Beechdale DerbyDealer's Location
Tel: 01332 372555

Price: £9,995

At least some people think the SVX is appreciating

(thanks to www autotrader.co.uk)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I would be a young man again and had to decide how to make my living, I
would not try to become a scientist or scholar or teacher. I would rather
choose to be a plumber or a peddler in the hope to find that modest degree
of independence still available under present circumstances.
-- Albert Einstein, The Reporter, November 18 1954
Old 10-13-2003, 04:18 PM

Registered SVX
The valuable car is always one in close to original condition as was mine 3 yrs., ago and still is. An original clean interior is a must. No amount of money nor even a complete restoration can return a car to original condition. My car is not for sale even at the price I paid for it.

A modified repainted messed about car shows clear indication of wear and tear and has been devalued in the eyes of a knowledgeable purchaser. Is not this thread indicative of the possibility that the SVX is becoming somewhat collectable, but only original cars will fit this category.

Considered on the basis of original cost and level of quality a really good SVX is a bargain. By the same token because of the built in features and therefore complication, a bad one is an absolute liability and it would appear many are neglecting to appreciate this.

By and large depreciation should be looked at on a percentage basis rather than in straight monitory terms and in this light a used car excels when compared with a purchase from new.

Simply my thoughts on a debatable subject subject, Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 10-13-2003, 07:14 PM

Prices may be dropping for beaters, but NO WAY on clean late model ubnits. They're going up 20-25%. i've been shopping for one for 2 years. I let a 97 w/8k miles (yes, 8000) ata dealer go. He blew me off at 15,500, and sold it 2 weeks later at 17k.

Now I find <40k 95-97s asking 12-14k. One dreamer wants 22k for a 97 w/21k. I may hgo for a 97 w/40k that needs ALL maintenence for 10k. The dealer's tech that looked at it said 7jk max, but he's a dealer. On low milers, prices are up 20%, just like clean ZXs. Amazing when you think you can buy 1 yr old 350z's foraround $20-21k with 12k miles. Man, it's frustrating finding a low miler SVX! Stockpiling one or 2 for parts is smart if you'll have one for another 5-10 years.
Old 10-13-2003, 07:26 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Cool

It's simple supply & demand, folks. When we're down to 50 SVXes remaining in the universe, & assuming Earl has half of those, what do you think one of the rest will be worth? With semi-rare cars & a cult following, you can throw the Blue Book out the funny window.

Ron (selling my semi-mint '92 - best offer over 25K).

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.