Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-16-2003, 06:54 AM
clarkerussell

Factory alarm upgrade

Hello all,

I've about given up on trying to find a used alarm module for my 1996. I think I'm just going to get an aftermarket alarm and install it. My question is, where could I find the female plug that would attach to the factory alarm wiring harness? If I could find this part, I could use it to make a harness similar to the factory radio harness. Thanks in advance.

Clarke

P.S.- If anyone has a spare alarm box they want to sell, PLEASE let me know. I'd really like to stay factory on this. Thanks.
Old 05-16-2003, 02:10 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Re: Factory alarm upgrade

Quote:
Originally posted by clarkerussell
Hello all,

I've about given up on trying to find a used alarm module for my 1996. I think I'm just going to get an aftermarket alarm and install it. My question is, where could I find the female plug that would attach to the factory alarm wiring harness? If I could find this part, I could use it to make a harness similar to the factory radio harness. Thanks in advance.

Clarke

P.S.- If anyone has a spare alarm box they want to sell, PLEASE let me know. I'd really like to stay factory on this. Thanks.
No luck with the wrecking yards?

You can buy a brand new factory alarm from 1stsubaruparts.com for $225. In includes the alarm module, the ignition relay, the "security button", and two remotes. Its more than what you need, but if you really want a factory alarm, you can get it.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 05-16-2003, 03:08 PM

Two things.

First, no I have no idea where to find a plug. I looked around my small town environment (only one real electronics store) with no luck. Maybe someplace with a bigger, better electronics market/source.

Second, An aftermarket alarm almost certainly won't wire up like the stock unit. For example, the starter inhibit relay is external on the OEM SVX alarm, but internal on DEI units. To use the horn instead of the siren will usually require adding a relay. I had to put in some diodes to control the door locks since keyless entry was a part of my aftermarket alarm (but not progressive on the model I bought).