How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-15-2003, 10:52 AM

Send a message via AIM to mhl0125 Send a message via Yahoo to mhl0125
High Sde Pressure - A/C

My a/c is blowing only very slightly cool air. I reduced the pressure on the low side which helped, but not nearly enough. The quick release gauge says it shouldn't be used on the high side...dangerous. Is it really or can I use it to check pressure? If not, how do you check the pressure on the high side. I need to start getting cold air soon. Thanks.
1995 Emerald Green SVX L AWD
#80 - Custom intake w/cone filter
99K with killer stereo system
2002 Acura MDX-Touring Edition w/navigation
2008 Toyota Prius
1987 Mercedes Benz 560SL
Old 05-15-2003, 03:23 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Yes. it is potentially very dangerous. Whatever jackass thought up the idea of allowing untrained individuals the ability to work on their a/c should be shot. I've had 'self-serviced' systems come in with over 500# head pressure! People figure if it isn't cold it must need more freon and just keeping dumping it in, can after can. That's about the only good that came from the exorbitant price of R-12 these days. I can imagine what would happen on an old system where the high and low sides used the same size fitting. If someone hooked up a can to the high side, especially at that pressure, it would violently explode!

The cans are rated at 90 psi. I have no idea what safety factor they use. The high side of a slightly overfilled system on a hot, humid day can exceed 350# and if the fan isn't working well or the condensor is partially plugged, etc., all bets are off. Letting freon out, besides being environmentally unfriendly, is only required if the system is overfilled. If the low side of a properly filled system exceeds 35-40# (R-12) at 2000 rpm there's something else wrong in the system. Releasing freon may lower the pressure but it also reduces the volume in the system and bubbling will occur, thereby ruining any chance of cooling. Kinda like shooting yourself in the foot. Given the high price of freon you may as well start tossing $20 bills out the window while you drive.