IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2009, 07:36 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: Tires

I have been running the Toyo Proxes4 on both my son's pearlie and my own 96 polo for many years without any problems in winter.

They are very quiet, responsive and work extremely well in both wet and dry. having lived in Columbia, MD and now in northern Carroll County (Westminster, MD), I experience the same adverse weather as Virginia. I have never had a driving problem in ANY weather with these tires.

The problem is neither Tire rack or Discount Tire carry this brand. I always by these tires from Radial Tire in Silver Spring. Run about $100.00 each.

http://www.radialtire.com/home.nxg

Ask for Sam or Paul. They really know what brings out the best in the SVX.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 07-21-2009, 08:03 AM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX

I will agree with John's recommendation, although it looks like the OP already bought his tires.

I have had Toyo Proxes 4 on four of my cars so far, and It's Just Eric is running them on his 96 as well.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:10 AM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim

I still like the Continental ContiExtreme Contacts on my 16's and I like them a lot.

The General Exclaim UHP tires on my 18's are not very good. While they are inexpensive, I wish I spent more on better tires. The road holding ability holds up fine for dry weather in normal driving but I dont feel they grip as well as the Continentals.
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 07-21-2009, 09:51 AM

I have General Exclaim UHPs in 225/45-18 on my Legacy's Rota summer wheels.

They are loud, and pretty rough. The suspension on the 2005+ Legacy is under-damped and harsh as-is, and it has only been getting worse. I think it may have even blown one of the struts, or broken a sway-bar link or something this last week. It is acting a little weird.

(I need to sell my motorcycle so that I can re-pay the savings account for the SVX's price, and maybe have enough left over for a set of Spec B bilsteins and springs for the Legacy... I wish I could afford Koni/GC, or that bilsteins/STI pink springs were available for SVX...)

Granted my SVX's suspension seems much less harsh, almost to the point of being a bit "floaty", but I still wonder if 18s and 40-45 series tires would be too harsh even for that.

Ideally, I would love 16" 50-series tires in the winter, and 17" wide 45-series in the summer...

But thanks for all the suggestions. Goodyear triple-treads, ContiExtreme Contacts, Proxes4 Toyos... I have looked around, but it is good to hear actual people with real feedback.

Even feedback comments on tire sites are getting weird. Some post no problems at all, while others say they are crap... about the same tire.

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:00 PM
One teal and One yellow

falken 912 review on snow with my FWD

I have had this falken 912 for about 4.5 months when I did my new inspection. Man are they wearing out fast? Maybe it's about 9000+miles on the front. They're wearing down like 30% left near the indicators. (Going to do rotations or getting snow tires soon) I was pretty happy with them for the dry/wet/corner/highway spd/quieter/ride a bit better....until these few weeks, I really hate them on snow. I don't know how about others' experiences but they are horrible on snow with my light weight FWD car.

I kept losing traction on going up hills and my car was kept sliding for 10-20 feet when I applied my brake. I am really tired of dealing with looking for traction on-the-go or to-stop. So I'm looking for snow tires. My last set of performance all season I was doing fine/way better in last winter.

My SVXi are not running at the moment. ` Otherwise, I should have no problems of going anywhere/uphills with my AWD with all seasons. Just gotta be careful on going down hills and corners.

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 01-09-2010, 11:18 PM

Michelin has always worked well for me...

Keith
Old 01-13-2010, 02:51 AM
One teal and One yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
Michelin has always worked well for me...

Keith
well...i always heard good things about michelins...
but are they worth the money?
some say yes some say no!! they're overpriced.
but i think they're good tires i will look into that
next time when i need tires.

the falken i bought are pretty good tires for dry/
wet/highway spd/corner/nice ride/quiet....but tread
wear is no long and really sucks on snow....and i
live at a very hilly town...a lot of hills, a lot of
mountains and snows on and off!! i really hate
this tire on snow!

i still think they're good tire if you don't live at the
place like i am at when it snows. for the price of
one michelin, i can probably get two of this so I
can have fresh tire every a year and half to two.
i like new tires.

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 01-14-2010, 03:19 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear View Post
I am a Toyo and Kumho guy...
+1, have been running Kumho since 2004, and am nothing short of impressed with the quality/price ratio.

My Kumho Ecsta AST directionals were $56 each in the 225/50R16 size and show little wear after 12k miles.

Get them from Tirerack.com, shipping is $50 I think or you can pick them up free if youre nearby one of their distribution centers.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.