How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-24-2002, 08:21 AM
EverclearAtMSU

suspension woes

When I bought my car the previous owner said I would need to replace the struts. I figured no biggie, a little bounceing every now and then. However now that I look at the problem, it apears that the front passenger side strut is the problem. It is no longer connected to the body of the car! The bolts are all there, it just slides compleatly out.

Is this a matter of a simple part I can replace on the top of the strut, or will I have to buy a whole new unit? If that is the case, what would you guys recomend?
Old 04-24-2002, 08:57 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: suspension woes

Quote:
Originally posted by EverclearAtMSU
When I bought my car the previous owner said I would need to replace the struts. I figured no biggie, a little bounceing every now and then. However now that I look at the problem, it apears that the front passenger side strut is the problem. It is no longer connected to the body of the car! The bolts are all there, it just slides compleatly out.

Is this a matter of a simple part I can replace on the top of the strut, or will I have to buy a whole new unit? If that is the case, what would you guys recomend?
Eek.

Well, really your only option is an OEM strut. A few Koni group buys have been organized, but that's it.

I would think that you'd have to replace both front struts together, and not just one at a time, but I could be wrong.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 04-24-2002, 12:03 PM
slybry

It sounds like your strut mount has rusted out. From what I've seen it's a fairly common problem with our cars. SubaruParts has them for $69.93 ea. http://www.subaruparts.com/diag/?mod...category=210-A

Last edited by slybry; 04-24-2002 at 12:05 PM.
Old 04-24-2002, 06:10 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Lots of struts

I have replaced more struts personnal on my car than anyone Six all together and four on a friends car, Koni.
I had gotten some pretty high prices for the labor involved but then I found a garage near be that put one in I bought for about $35. That was deal. To do it yourself you need a spring compressor. It takes about an hour a strut.
Old 04-25-2002, 06:41 AM
EverclearAtMSU

Re: Lots of struts

Quote:
Originally posted by svx_commuter
I have replaced more struts personnal on my car than anyone Six all together and four on a friends car, Koni.
I had gotten some pretty high prices for the labor involved but then I found a garage near be that put one in I bought for about $35. That was deal. To do it yourself you need a spring compressor. It takes about an hour a strut.
I've noticed that labor is pretty high for this. Me and my friend lowered his cavileer last summer. wasn't too hard. Autozone lent him the spring compressors which was pretty cool.

Oh, and I just realized that my porsche has the orange Konis all around! Those things are sweet. Me thinking I should get some for the SVX