Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-15-2002, 10:44 PM
gcookaustin

Should I have timing belts and such replaced?

My new SVX allegedly did not have any of the 60K service done to it. Nonetheless, it looks promising. Should I have the timing belt and replaced? Well, I know what the answer to that question is. Actually, what else should I have replaced at the same time? I read other posts about a water pump is a good thing to replace because of all the work that goes into replacing the belt. Is there anything else? Also what should I do about the powersteering? Duff's Subaru said that they thought it was coming from the power steering but weren't sure? The car vibrates when turning at low speeds. I suppose I could replace the seal myself; the previous owner said that he replaced the whole pump.

Thanks for answering all of my irritating questions; I'm getting better at posting in the right forum
Old 04-16-2002, 12:01 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
If the belt breaks you shouldn't experience any additional problems other than a tow bill. Do you like sitting on the side of the road waiting for help? T-belts are affected by oil soaking in from leaking seals, dirt, people racing the engine, yadda, yadda, yadda.

The water pump is a good idea if you're paying someone else to do the work. Reasoning: you get to pay all that labor all over again when it goes bad. It could last another 60k or it could last another week. Who knows? Your gamble.

Try replacing the seal yourself, at the worst you'll lose a couple bucks and fifteen minutes of your time.