Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-11-2002, 07:36 PM

Unhappy terrible noise - front diff?

Today, as I was leaving the grocery store I started hearing a terrible noise much like a very bad CV joint. Immediately pulled over. Note: there were no warnings or previous noises - I had been driving with windows down and stereo off.

With spouse driving it back and forth there is a loud periodic noise. This is not just in turning, it's also in a straight line - forward and reverse. I watched with the hood open and the whole engine assembly seems to jump when the click occurs. Have I toasted the front diff? It sounds like maybe I lost a tooth in a gear assembly (or like I said a VERY bad CV by sound alone).

It was only a couple of blocks so we pulled it home in neutral - noise still there, but not as loud as when under it's own power.

It's in the garage now and I can smell that distinctive differential lube smell. I'm really hating this. The tranny is only 18 months old, and is/was working perfectly - if it is the diff, does the tranny have to go as well?

help - advice, please.

tia, Lee
Old 04-11-2002, 07:44 PM
Green1995SVX

I remember Jeff Hall (everyshadeofblue) talking about what his fried front diff did, and thats about right. Thats the only help i can offer. Beav, or anyone else?

-Mike
Old 04-11-2002, 08:11 PM
alacrity024

I know that Jay (strange1something i think) is in the process of repairing his front diff. He's doing some of the work himself (pulling the mechanism out of the car) and leaving the rest to the shop and I seem to remember him saying that he was paying a few hundred dollars. your mileage may vary.. hang out in the chatroom if you want to talk to him. he usually lurks there during the day

-adam
Old 04-11-2002, 08:23 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
My 94 did that before it's diff and tranny went out. Start saving up your pennies. If it keeps dying, it will jump like you are riding a horse and will die leaving you on the side of the road. Have that check out soon.

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:•2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 04-12-2002, 05:59 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: terrible noise - front diff?

Quote:
Originally posted by lee
Today, as I was leaving the grocery store I started hearing a terrible noise much like a very bad CV joint. Immediately pulled over. Note: there were no warnings or previous noises - I had been driving with windows down and stereo off.
It's in the garage now and I can smell that distinctive differential lube smell. I'm really hating this. The tranny is only 18 months old, and is/was working perfectly - if it is the diff, does the tranny have to go as well?

help - advice, please.

tia, Lee
Definitely sounds like the front diff, you need to check your tires, different diameter tires with trash the front diff faster than anything, just having the same size, doesn’t necessarily make them the same circumference. You need to take a tape and measure AROUND the center of the tread to get the Circumference, if there is more than ½” difference, you need to get matching tires. I had 2 different brand tires of the same size on my first Legacy, toasted the tranny (front Diff).
So at least check this out before you get it fixed, as it might save you another expensive repair.
A lesson I learned the hard way
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"