Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-22-2003, 09:51 PM
clarkerussell

My new alarm is acting funny.

Hello all,

I just installed a used Alarm box and the remote works fine. The problem I have is that the alarm function does not seem to work.. The alarm would go into programing mode, it will lock and unlock the doors (and turn on the interior lights). The problem is that when I arm the alarm, the horn chirps 4 times quickly. It's the same when you arm or disarm. When I unlock the door from the outside, through the window, and then open the door, the alarm does not go off. Is this indicative of a bad alarm, or did I not do something correctly? Thanks.

Clarke
Old 05-23-2003, 09:44 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
When I installed the factory alarm in my '95 a few weeks ago, it was simply a matter of disconnecting the negative batter cable, plugging the module into the wiring harness (and bolting it in place), plugging in the ignition relay, adding the "security" button, and reconnecting the battery cable. Worked perfectly after that. So the install seems very straightforward. I would guess that either the module is bad, incompatible, or there is something wrong with your car.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 05-24-2003, 07:26 AM
red95svx

It almost sounds like your "SECURITY" button is not pressed in.....

Dave
Old 05-24-2003, 10:55 AM
clarkerussell

Nothing happens when I press the Alarm button in. What would that indicate? I know the button should work because I got the alarm into programming mode using it.
Old 05-24-2003, 01:45 PM
sans SVX

By "alarm" button, do you mean the Security button? If so, when its pressed to enable the system, it should steadily flash a red light when the car is not running. Maybe you knew that already, but I thought I'd mention it.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 05-25-2003, 10:22 AM
clarkerussell

Fixed...

Well, you guys were right. The alarm button (security button) was not on. Once I pressed the button, the alarm does the correct One chip for arm, two for disarm. Apparently the light does not work any more, so I'll be looking to fix that next. Does anyone know if it's replaceable? Thanks.

Clarke
Old 05-25-2003, 10:47 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: Fixed...

Quote:
Originally posted by clarkerussell
Well, you guys were right. The alarm button (security button) was not on. Once I pressed the button, the alarm does the correct One chip for arm, two for disarm. Apparently the light does not work any more, so I'll be looking to fix that next. Does anyone know if it's replaceable? Thanks.

Clarke
It's very possible that it is. Subaru (and maybe other manufacturers, as well - I don't know) seems to use these ridiculous little incandescents for buttons and displays instead of LEDs. I don't know why. I had to take the climate control apart on my wife's Legacy (losing both of the circlips used to hold the cable in place...little ****ers) to find that all three of the lights had burned out.

The instrument panel is lit by an army of these little things. I can't wait until my 'D' light burns out! YAY!

Ugh...please, Subaru, just use friggin' LEDs...

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 05-25-2003, 06:54 PM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
Re: Re: Fixed...

As a matter of fact, the SVX's security button does use a red LED. I think it's the only button on the whole car that does.

KuoH

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
Ugh...please, Subaru, just use friggin' LEDs...
Old 05-27-2003, 07:58 AM
clarkerussell

Still flaky...

OK, my alarm is still flakey.. Can someone please tell me how the Alarm button is SUPPOSED to work? I have the alarm working now, but there does not seem to be any visual indication that it is armed. Other than pressing the remote to arm or disarm it, I do not know if it's on or not.. Also, when I press the button, the light does not go on or off. Is that normal?
Old 05-27-2003, 09:42 AM
sans SVX

Re: Still flaky...

Quote:
Originally posted by clarkerussell
OK, my alarm is still flakey.. Can someone please tell me how the Alarm button is SUPPOSED to work? I have the alarm working now, but there does not seem to be any visual indication that it is armed. Other than pressing the remote to arm or disarm it, I do not know if it's on or not.. Also, when I press the button, the light does not go on or off. Is that normal?
When the red LED in the security button is working, when the security system is enabled, it steadily flashes regardless of whether the system is armed/disarmed. Sometimes after I've armed the system, I forget if its armed after not driving the car for a few days. One way to know is to look at the lock on the doors.

Visit my locker