Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > ECU Tune Projects
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2007, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicksubie View Post
I installed a greddy catch can on my motor. Look at the thread titled as such in the mod mania section...
Yep saw it. Looks good. I vent mine now to atmosphere but will set up on the suction side of the turbo with a catch can when everything is back in and tested for a while.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:21 AM
Jeff Williams

Send a message via AIM to Jefus
I don't have any form of FI the engine is all NA. I may try the catch can but I would rather fix the problem then just work around it.

Tom I will do a compression test this week sometime and let you know what I get.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefus View Post
I don't have any form of FI the engine is all NA. I may try the catch can but I would rather fix the problem then just work around it.

Tom I will do a compression test this week sometime and let you know what I get.
I would definitely pull one of the breathers and see if you are getting blowby. This is a good way to see if you have a problem. You should not have any puffs of air comming from the breathers. This might have caused your problem with excessive oil.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
Well best of luck with yours but all the ones I have installed and had running for some time now still are not running properly. And if someone has the brass to claim I installed them inproperly is a fool. I have done more than my fair share of engine work especially on the EG33. Unless there is a different way of installing them from stock (besides bleeding out the lifters) all of mine have been installed properly. I did not get a chance to do an tests this weekend as my move consumed all of my time... I will get to them as soon as I have some time. Try testing yours as well

Tom
Tom:

I'm sorry to here you are having so much difficulty with your motor. I know it is frustrating, especially with as much money as was spent on improvements. I think a lot of what is going on is that you just don't have the tune for the new cams. You are so far out ahead of everyone else, you are the prototype and don't have a way to tune. Are you still going to purchase a tuning computer for your chip? This might be the magic bullet. I know it is difficult to justify spending another penny with so much uncertainty. Perhaps it would be best to wait until Mike finishes his motor, break in, and tune before purchasing a tuning computer. Good luck.

Chuck D.
Old 12-13-2007, 11:21 PM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Quote:
Ok here is my cam story.

First a list of other mods i have going with them.
-2002 WRX 5-Speed Manual Tranny
-2002 WRX Rear Diff.
-ACT Stage 2 Flywheel
-ACT Lightened Flywheel
-Sti Group N Engine and Pitch Mounts
-Sti Group N Tranny Mount
-Ecutune Stage 2 Chip
-Z32 MAF
-Walbro 255 Fuel Pump
-2.5" Exhaust W/High Flow Cat.and 80 Series Flowmaster Muffler
-Cold Air Intake
-ECU Tune Performance Intake and Exhaust Cams
-ECU Tune Performance Valves and Springs
-Lightweight Underdrive Pully
still got the sr20det injectors coming

Now for the install story.
I was able to do most of the install in my garage. Did have to take the heads to a shop to get cleaned up and get the valves installed. After that I put everything back together, but make sure that you are very careful when installing the cams. Do not force them they should go in smoothly and when shipping cams pack them like fine china. Dropping the engine in the car is the best part. And watch the radiator, I know have a new shiny one.

Ok First run.
I took it for a drive and was getting dizzy from the speed. I had also been driving around my 84 Brat (70HP), so that was a huge change. But even then I new it was faster. I was burning oil on startup but that was a earlier issue with the car.

Driving
I have been driving it for about 2 months now and she is running great. Went to a car show up in North Carolina (I'm in Myrtle Beach, SC) and the trip was mostly great. I did through the timing belt 6 miles from the show but was able to fix it on the side of the road. I was my fault the timing belt came off because two of the idler pulleys were not torqued right.

Now for the fun stuff
Went to Darlington Dragstrip about 3 weeks ago. Temp was about high 40s and night. Here are the numbers.

R/T .394
60 2.169
330 6.169
1/8 9.525
MPH 75.15
1/4 14.782
MPH 94.28

This is about what I though I would run. I still go to get the injectors in and stop the oil from coming up the intake and I will be able to get quicker. The thing that sucked the most is the civics I went with were beating me. I think that the fastest one was 14.4

Now for the auto-x (also I installed Koni yellows and GC coils on street tires)
I ran in SM and got a best of 38.425. that dose not mean much but for some comparison. My friend has a tuned and modded Evo MR with r compounds and I was one second behind him. Also my friend was co-driving and he said that the car is definitely a lot faster then it was. He said that it is faster then his 2000 RS that has exhaust, intake, heads, and other upgrades.

The thing that is funny about the cams is the power band. It reminds me of my old turbo cavalier. You feel it but the higher the RPMs the more power. It troughs you back in the seat harder and harder. I would love to see a dyno of this because it is just so fun to drive.

Oh on the high way MPG were 21 and around town 19 the same as I was getting before the install. On the auto-x course I went through a 1/4 tank in 10 runs at about 40 sec each.
So that was you at the Autocross in Myrtle Beach... I was trying to catch up with ya but kept missing ya... I was driving the 2000 Subaru RS with the 22b replica wing and Rota Subzeros in STS... Didn't see you run the second day... When I turned up the first day and saw a 5MT SVX running in SM I really wished that I'd brought mine... I have been experiencing suspension popping noises though so I'm not going to Autocross it anymore till I either finish college and actually have $$$ or till something breaks and I fix it... For now though I'm co-driving Mark Mayorga's little RS because he is only 15 years old and his mom wants me to help him learn the ropes ... He's doing pretty well too!! He WON Novice this past year. Are you going to be at the Summerville (sp?) Autocross in January??? I'll be there, co-driving again...

~ Chris

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 12-13-2007, 11:31 PM

So I haven't read much of this thread yet because there are alot of pages but I gather that the Cams aren't really coming along very well?? I am interested in this because when it comes time for me to rebuild my engine (sometime in the next 2 years probably), then I'll be shooting for a really good, strong NA build. So Cams and valves and the whole schabang are on my list... VERY interested in seeing some numbers (not drag racing numbers!!!) once everything gets worked out

~ Chris

** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 12-14-2007, 01:26 PM
Jeff Williams

i plan at being down in summerville, where do you go to school at . Im at coastal. and the cams are nice, if ya see me down in summerville come ask for a ride and i will let you see what they can do.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:34 PM

Quote:
i plan at being down in summerville, where do you go to school at . Im at coastal. and the cams are nice, if ya see me down in summerville come ask for a ride and i will let you see what they can do.
I'm up at NC State in Raleigh... I'll see ya down there at the Autocross ... And if you see someone in a blue Subaru RS with a Subar hat on, it's probably me... Come up and say "Hi"

~ Chris

Old 12-15-2007, 06:57 AM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMarineSVX View Post
I am interested in this because when it comes time for me to rebuild my engine (sometime in the next 2 years probably), then I'll be shooting for a really good, strong NA build. So Cams and valves and the whole schabang are on my list...

~ Chris
+1
Same here
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 12-18-2007, 05:45 PM
Jeff Williams

ok i took it to a shop today and they said that they cant find anything wrong. they think im getting blow by on the rings and i can afford to rebuild right now. so what is this catch can setup yall are talking about and how do i do it.
Old 12-18-2007, 07:03 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie
I did it..... Just search Greddy catch can and the thread will come up.....
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1995 Spec-ish Miata - track car
1957 CJ-5
Old 02-08-2008, 02:38 PM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
I believe I'm caught up now with camshaft cores (including the ones that are in the mail on their way to me). It also won't be long now before the whole line of camshafts are officially released and available on the website.

For now, the all out performance camset is all that's on the website. I've seen dynoplots of both sicksubie's supercharged car and of someone elses naturally aspirated car. Sicksubies plot shows that the cams do keep up with the increased flow of forced induction and allow the blower output to dictate power output. The naturally aspirated torque curve is simply awesome--the widest powerband I've ever seen. Unfortunately the health of the engine that was being tested was questionable and the person doing the dyno testing didn't want to risk taking it up to high rpms where we could see the actual torque peak and big power numbers. They stopped at 6k rpms and torque was still climbing. So while we haven't seen the peak numbers from these cams yet we know they do produce a huge powerband and will have a very high peak power somewhere between 7k and 8k rpms naturally aspirated. In order to run these rpms and not float valves you need the valves and springs included in the package that is on the website. The idle must also be raised to the neighborhood of 800 rpms. I will release matching engine management software with an adjusted idle and transmission control unit software with high rpm shift points shortly.

It's obvious there is room for and a desire for a smaller cam package which doesn't require a raised idle and can be used without having to remove the heads to install new valves and valve springs. Such a cam package is on the way. I will post the plots of that package shortly. This set up with have a smaller 256 duration intake cam with a shorter 1mm duration and 8mm lift and a 256 duration exhaust cam with 9mm lift. You will be able to install these camshafts onto the factory heads.

I also have extra sets of the 264 duration exhaust camshafts from the original run of camshafts where the intake cams were ruined. Fortunately there is a good use for these camshafts and I will sell them seperately. When used with the stock intake camshafts these cams should not effect idle but they will still provide the increased exhaust flow to improve high rpm performance with nitrous oxide or forced induction--ie this is your cheap turbo cam option.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:46 PM
Porsche Autofanatiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by longassname View Post
It's obvious there is room for and a desire for a smaller cam package which doesn't require a raised idle and can be used without having to remove the heads to install new valves and valve springs. Such a cam package is on the way. I will post the plots of that package shortly. This set up with have a smaller 256 duration intake cam with a shorter 1mm duration and 8mm lift and a 256 duration exhaust cam with 9mm lift. You will be able to install these camshafts onto the factory heads.
All is going well in the recovery and healing I hope

Perked my interest right here with this. I was just looking into the possibility of having my cams custom ground for a slight increase in flow over stock(coupled with the turbocharger). I knew of your current cam/valve set but didn't want to get that aggressive in the heads. This little cam option has my full attention, and eventually my money when the time comes!

Regards,

-Adam
Old 02-10-2008, 08:46 AM

Mike:

Good to here you are back up and running. I'll be ready for cams soon. Right now I'm caging my bearings. Going to do some more block clean up in the water passages, then assembly. Once assembled I may talk to you about modifying my stock ECU, which still controls my idle, and my transmission TCU. How is your project car comming along? Haven't heard much, but then I understand why.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:05 PM
The car named NIGHTMARE

Send a message via MSN to Nomad
Is there any dyno numbers yet ?