Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > ECU Tune Projects
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2007, 02:41 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefus View Post
im running bridgestone potenzas

it drives ok from 2000 up. when it is cold it is a lil hard but I think that is cause it is still burning up oil cause if i stomp it im a crop duster.
No thats not the reason Its because the cams are a downer on the engine right now rather than helping like I had mentioned to mike. The oil issue you describe does sound a bit off but I have experienced this with the mt cars I have them because there is more load on the engine than the auto will provide sub 2k rpm... I wish people would listen

Tom
Old 12-06-2007, 05:01 PM
Jeff Williams

Send a message via AIM to Jefus
when ever you mod a car it is going to have pros and cons, even an intake. i got the brat going again so the svx has time to get fixed.
Old 12-06-2007, 05:35 PM
Maniac modifier

heres the thing... This is not supposed to happen. its not like I **** out cam profiles, I bought these cams and obviously the profiles are not working properly. so why should I accept that I paid out the ass for cams that are not working the way I was promised they would??

Tom
Old 12-06-2007, 08:30 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001
Lan, are you experiencing the same issues as tom with these cams?
Old 12-06-2007, 10:55 PM
Maniac modifier

I am going to run some compression tests this weekend which should tell me more... I will keep you updated on them

Tom
Old 12-06-2007, 11:20 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie
awaiting the results.........
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1995 Spec-ish Miata - track car
1957 CJ-5
Old 12-06-2007, 11:53 PM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
Bobby,

Are you experiencing idle problems beyond keeping the blower from rattling? Originally you said your idle was fine while young young Tom said your idle sucked. Numerically these cams should not cause a bad idle if installed correctly. For now I'm just listening to feedback as I'll have my own engine going in another week to firmly answer any questions but with Jeff saying he see's performance improvements accross the board, and the #'s saying there should be performance improvements accross the board, and the dyno plots from when you dyno'd with the supercharger belt Tom never tightened showing a torque curve indicative of improvements accross the board..........I find it hard to believe the cams produce anything other than improvements accross the board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicksubie View Post
awaiting the results.........
Old 12-06-2007, 11:55 PM
Maniac modifier

Communism also looked awesome on paper

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by longassname View Post
Bobby,

Are you experiencing idle problems beyond keeping the blower from rattling? Originally you said your idle was fine while young young Tom said your idle sucked. Numerically these cams should not cause a bad idle if installed correctly. For now I'm just listening to feedback as I'll have my own engine going in another week to firmly answer any questions but with Jeff saying he see's performance improvements accross the board, and the #'s saying there should be performance improvements accross the board, and the dyno plots from when you dyno'd with the supercharger belt Tom never tightened showing a torque curve indicative of improvements accross the board..........I find it hard to believe the cams produce anything other than improvements accross the board.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:15 AM

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie
It idles rough when it is cold out. Once the motor warms up the idle feels ok/fine to me. It is around 900rpms or so (and that is with the IAC 100% open) The bypass actuator being to stiff makes sense to me for causing the slight roughness I have at idle. I will post more later.. Late for class as it is.
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1957 CJ-5
Old 12-07-2007, 11:00 AM
Jeff Williams

i agree with sicksubie on the how the car is acting. I need to check my IAC but don't know exactly where or what it looks like. I think if i clean it my idle will get better.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:03 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
i agree with sicksubie on the how the car is acting. I need to check my IAC but don't know exactly where or what it looks like. I think if i clean it my idle will get better.
Jeff,
It's mounted to the underside of the throttle body. Probably best off to remove the entire TB and then remove the IAC from it. This also makes it easier to give the TB a good cleaning
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 12-10-2007, 12:18 PM
Jeff Williams

so i did a check on my idle and the car is running fine at low idle.

tom have you tried just driving them and seeing if the computer will "learn" how the cams work. how did the compression test go.

as for the oil i took the TB off and cleaned it all up. looking int he intake manifold and the are serious puddles of oil just sitting in there. the dip stick if on the low reading. and the vacuum lines with oil on them are the 2 coming from the crank ventilation and the valve covers. im about to take it to a shop.
Old 12-10-2007, 01:02 PM
Maniac modifier

Well best of luck with yours but all the ones I have installed and had running for some time now still are not running properly. And if someone has the brass to claim I installed them inproperly is a fool. I have done more than my fair share of engine work especially on the EG33. Unless there is a different way of installing them from stock (besides bleeding out the lifters) all of mine have been installed properly. I did not get a chance to do an tests this weekend as my move consumed all of my time... I will get to them as soon as I have some time. Try testing yours as well

Tom
Old 12-10-2007, 04:01 PM

Quote:
so i did a check on my idle and the car is running fine at low idle.

tom have you tried just driving them and seeing if the computer will "learn" how the cams work. how did the compression test go.

as for the oil i took the TB off and cleaned it all up. looking int he intake manifold and the are serious puddles of oil just sitting in there. the dip stick if on the low reading. and the vacuum lines with oil on them are the 2 coming from the crank ventilation and the valve covers. im about to take it to a shop.
I would consider setting up your own breather system. Plug the PCV valve connection to the intake and run the cam cover and crank case vents to a filter, or better yet a catch can, which you can run back into your intake, which you can do with FI. Wait! Are you running a supercharger or a turbo?

I ran a breather system on my turbo. It was real easy to tell I was getting blowby. It will also prevent your intakes, turbos, superchargers, intercoolers, or whatever else you may have that you don't want to get dirty.
Old 12-10-2007, 06:16 PM

I installed a greddy catch can on my motor. Look at the thread titled as such in the mod mania section...
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1957 CJ-5