SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2015, 11:06 AM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
Re: Engine Rebuild

For the main bearings the best bearings are also the cheapest bearings. You need to buy two sets of King Engine Bearing MB5234AM.

That's a made in Israel Allecular Aluminum bearing. I've used it many times with excellent results.
Old 12-06-2015, 10:36 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Michael,

Very nice walk through! I'd add that the size of the pistons in a EG33 block are stamped on the front top of the block near the split line. As you've noted, "A" pistons are the largest. If the block being rebuilt has a bad cylinder wall with an A piston in it already, you've got a whole different problem on your hands (i.e., time to reconsider going with after market pistons). Darton sleeves are available for the EG33, you just have to find a shop that actually has the equipment and skill to do them.

Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 12-06-2015, 11:08 AM
Just some dude.

SVXs don't usually have bad cylinders unless someone took the engine apart and left it open and exposed rusting..or left it parked a long time with a bad head gasket to get water spots in the leaky cylinder and that leaky cylinder happened to be an A cylinder. Someone starting with a typical SVX engine shouldn't have any problem fitting a set of coated A size pistons.
Old 12-06-2015, 12:38 PM

Registered SVX

As I'll be rebuilding an engine in the near future I thought I'd ask, LAN why do you recommend King over ACL?
1992 SVX Pearlie: AmsOil signature synthetic 10w40 and Ea15k20 filter, Cobb crank pulley, Outlaw Engineering spacers and tb bypass, LGT 5spd, Slotted Crossdrilled rotors and ceramic pads, 11:1 compression, EGR delete, Port & Polished heads, SaikoMichi catch can, A/c delete.
Old 12-06-2015, 01:14 PM
Just some dude.

Because I like aluminum bearings. I don't just like king bearings I like the particular bearing set I gave the part # for. I've used them in almost every EG33 I have ever built. You might note I've never had one fail. Granted that's probably because of the precision of my machine and assembly work as the bearing itself but you can certainly be confident that if you use that bearing and have a failure it was because of you and not the bearing. I've already proven them extensively so you can eliminate them as a question mark in your build...why introduce uncertainty that isn't necessary?
Old 12-10-2015, 06:32 AM
Just some dude.

I think the only question you asked that hasn't been answered yet is about rods.

There's nothing wrong with the SVX rods that you should feel obliged to upgrade them when doing a rebuild of an EG33 for personal car. I've even used them in a high reving, high performance race engine to avoid bumping the owners team out of the class they were competing in.

The eagle rods are very nice. I've used them in several high performance engines and have been impressed with them. I believe they have them cast in China but machine them themselves in Tennessee. The machine work is always spot on. They need to be ordered directly from EAGLE. Eagle doesn't make a set for the EG33. They have to put one together from their sets of rods for EJ22s. Each rod is labeled with both its total weight and the weight of its ends. When they put together a weight matched set they are sorting according to both total weight and the balance of the ends and they have their entire stock to pick from. They probably won't sell directly to an end consumer but you can arrange with a shop that already does business with them to have them call Eagle and have Eagle put the set together for you.
Old 12-10-2015, 01:26 PM

Registered SVX

I'll be using STI rods in my rebuild, I can source them easily and cheaply enough and stock STI rods have proven themselves easily capable of holding up to 400whp in the 4 cylinder cars, being in a 6 cylinder car should reduce cylinder pressures and overall stress on them. I think the record for power on a stock long block is somewhere near 500whp and it was still the pistons that cracked first.
1992 SVX Pearlie: AmsOil signature synthetic 10w40 and Ea15k20 filter, Cobb crank pulley, Outlaw Engineering spacers and tb bypass, LGT 5spd, Slotted Crossdrilled rotors and ceramic pads, 11:1 compression, EGR delete, Port & Polished heads, SaikoMichi catch can, A/c delete.
Old 12-13-2015, 04:16 AM

Registered SVX

I have reached an impasse, I've found the King main bearings LAN recommended easily enough but cant for the life of me find King rod bearings to go with them.

I did find the part number for the complete gasket kit for the eg33, #10105aa060 for anyone that's interested.
Old 12-13-2015, 06:36 AM
Just some dude.

Sorry, I forgot to explain when I posted the part #. None of the manufacturer's list bearings for the EG33. You have to pick them out of EJ22T bearings.

For the main bearings you need two sets of EJ22T bearings. The part #'s do exist to buy one set of EJ22t main bearings plus the extra bearings to put together a set of EG33 bearings but the distributors don't have them in stock like that. You have to buy two sets of EJ22T bearings and discard the extras. The bearing set part # is MB5234AM. So you need two MB5234AM.

The rod bearings are part # CR4125AM. They are also packed in sets of 4 but many resellers are used to and willing to break sets. In fact many of them list them as individual bearing sets per rod and let you buy whatever quantity you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishop View Post
I have reached an impasse, I've found the King main bearings LAN recommended easily enough but cant for the life of me find King rod bearings to go with them.

I did find the part number for the complete gasket kit for the eg33, #10105aa060 for anyone that's interested.
Old 12-14-2015, 01:10 AM

Registered SVX

Thanks LAN, I figured I'd have to order two sets of bearings, that's not a big issue, it also gives a larger selection to choose from to size everything right.

I thought I had read that all the subie engines were the same big end size but I couldnt find any solid info and wanted to make sure.
Old 12-14-2015, 08:05 PM

Hi ;
I got a complete short block with only 4k and complete rebuild set of heads;
I bought the short block few years back from aircraft engine rebuilders and
I wanted to build this engine as a spare one for myself; - things changed -car is gone and I would like to sell this as a package for $950.00; the cost of heads -complete rebuild was $685.00 and I paid for short block $825.00; I have head gaskets and boxes of engine parts - starters,ps pump, new timing belt, etc;etc;with this package; - if anybody interested ? let me know;
Thanks, Dan sr.
Old 06-03-2016, 04:59 PM

Good Afternoon: I an rebuilding my SVX and have 4 each .25 MM oversized pistons (2L 2R) That appears to be the last oversized pistons Subaru has in the US. Does anyone have a Left and a Right to sell me? Can I use Pistons from a different engine in the SVX?