Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-08-2003, 06:27 PM

93 Subaru Impreza Problems

I have a 93 Impreza that I've had since new. I have been faithful about its maintenance. For the first 8 years of its life, it wasn't driven very hard but in the past 2 years it has been driven much hard than I would have liked (damn teenagers!).

So the problem is this: 4 years ago I noticed that it was loosing its peppiness, but it didn't bother me too much until May 2003. I took it into Shop A (a Subaru shop), they said it is probably the lifters but suggested I monitor for leaks. 10k miles later, still no peppiness, and no leaks, but they still suggested I fix the lifters. Not feeling confident about them, I took it back to the dealer I bought it at, Carter Subaru. They did a compression test and found Cyl 1 at 138 psi (?), Cyl 2 at 150 psi, Cyl 3 at 90 psi and Cyl 4 at 135 psi. The shop mechanic suggested I fix the lifters but the shop manager suggested I tear apart the engine and replace the cylinder and a bunch of other stuff (for a cost of $1600). And finally, a third shop, speciallizing in japanese cars suggested I skill all that and install a used engine (at a cost of 2100 w/tax).

My head is spinning from all this. I refuse to buy a car w/ payments and I don't really have the money for a good RELIABLE used car (spend that money on my SVX). Since many of the members here are mechanics and/or are intimately familiar with Subarus, I am hoping for a little advice on this matter.

PS: I've looked at several SVX's in the area, but none of them warranted the asking price.

Thanks for any help.