Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2011, 07:12 PM

Registered SVX
Re: should i buy the SVX?

I just had a chat with Ryan Mathews the owner of the car. You will be getting a great car. You won't have to worry about mom and dad getting on your case having it break down every week or so. It is as dependable as any used car you could buy. How far is it from home ? Could you possibly take a ride to see it and test drive it .
Old 07-08-2011, 12:23 AM
The NEWBIE

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conn SVX View Post
I just had a chat with Ryan Mathews the owner of the car. You will be getting a great car. You won't have to worry about mom and dad getting on your case having it break down every week or so. It is as dependable as any used car you could buy. How far is it from home ? Could you possibly take a ride to see it and test drive it .
so did i! he goes now lower than 3700 and he's not in a hurry so i'm trying hard to get some more money ASAP! just hoping it doesn't go that fast! he says he already has an offer for 3k
Old 07-08-2011, 01:07 AM
The NEWBIE

Registered SVX

guys i'm going to buy this one tomorrow afternoon
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/2482449633.html
i know it doesn't look good but i've driven it and it feels good
so i need a final heads up from you guys
i'm also gonna take it to a mechanic to put it up and see the whats happening down there
but i mean 1200 for a running svx!
Old 07-08-2011, 01:33 AM
#1 BRODAWG!

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_12121 View Post
i'm also gonna take it to a mechanic to put it up and see the whats happening down there
I would buy it. See if you can get receipts from the work he says was done. Having new coil packs included in the sale is great as these cars have issues with them ripping. The body and interior are a bit rough, but don't let that defer you. I would take it to the mechanic before you buy. Price seems fair also.

Good Luck!

P.S. If he ups the price for the recharge try to negotiate him down to where it was before. I just had mine done for $149. You need AC in these greenhouses on wheels

Edit: The rear windshield wiper motors are very easy to replace. I have some instruction writeup somewhere I could e-mail you if you ever needed. I read the ad again too, this sicko says its perfect for someone to swap into a VW thanks for saving it!

Last edited by fun173; 07-08-2011 at 01:39 AM. Reason: Had more to say!
Old 07-08-2011, 03:40 AM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

I sure hope that transmission replacement was done extremely recent.

Quote:
2 new tires
Smogged 6/22/2011 and passed
Registration paid up

Needs:
1 front tire
In any case,you're going to need 4 identical new tires on that one right away or else the transmission will fail
Old 07-08-2011, 06:09 AM

Registered SVX

Well O.M. 2cents of course. $1,200 + $4,000 in body work.. If you never plan to fix the body , you got into an SVX for under $2,000. On the other hand , if you bought the red one you would be driving it no issues for a few years for $2,100 more . and it would be a chick magnet. Good luck with it.
what ever you do don't loose this Forum Address. Bookmark it now !!!
Old 07-08-2011, 08:34 AM
Either committed, or should be

Send a message via ICQ to thumper_svx Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_svx
Registered SVX

Quote:
Appearances can be deceptive. Although the quality of the pics isn't great, the bodywork looks pretty straight; as in few dings and dents. These cars attract parking lot dings like no other car I've ever owned. And besides, the factory Subaru paint on these things was crap anyway; I've never seen one more than 10 years old that still looks "factory new" unless it was stored for most of that time.

My '96 has oxidization on the roof, dulling of the paint all over and the front of the hood looks like it has dandruff. Still a great car.

Good luck, and let us all know how it goes.

My Rides:
Red 1996 SVX LSi (Saffron)
2007 Yamaha FJR1300 (Kaitlin)

Previously owned; green '95 L AWD (sold), black/pearlie '94 LSi (too many problems), Polo Green '96 SVX LSi (apparently notThe end of an era)

Member #2 in the Yahoo! club, been here since the beta-testing days. In dire need of a cheaper hobby.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:26 AM
The NEWBIE

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun173 View Post

P.S. If he ups the price for the recharge try to negotiate him down to where it was before. I just had mine done for $149. You need AC in these greenhouses on wheels
He said AC hose need to be replaced...obviously i'm gonna try to bring the price down for it but how much will it cost me?

and about the transmission he said the serial number on the tranny indicates that its new! is it a good proof?!
Old 07-08-2011, 11:35 AM
#1 BRODAWG!

Registered SVX

Quote:
He said AC hose need to be replaced...obviously i'm gonna try to bring the price down for it but how much will it cost me?

and about the transmission he said the serial number on the tranny indicates that its new! is it a good proof?!

I can't answer to this as i am not great with cars but I'm sure someone here will. What time were you going to go buy?
Old 07-08-2011, 01:09 PM
The NEWBIE

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun173 View Post
I can't answer to this as i am not great with cars but I'm sure someone here will. What time were you going to go buy?
in 5 hours
I'll aim to get it for 800, 1000 max
Old 07-08-2011, 01:14 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

FYI, when you replace tires on an AWD car, you have to make sure that they are all extremely close in outer diameter, and this sometimes means replacing all 4 when only 1 is bad.

Overall, it looks like a good starting point. Wouldn't take much to make it a very well performing SVX, and with a paint job it would be a great looking one too.

It wouldn't be hard to replace the rear wiper, and I'd guess that it's just a wiring problem if "buggy" means intermittent.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album

Last edited by icingdeath88; 07-08-2011 at 01:19 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:19 PM
The NEWBIE

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
FYI, when you replace tires on an AWD car, you have to make sure that they are all extremely close in outer diameter, and this sometimes means replacing all 4 when only 1 is bad.
how close? you mean like all 21" or even the treads must be same size?
do i have to take a measuring tape?
Old 07-08-2011, 01:38 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

If the tires are worn down some, you would need another of the same tire that's worn the same amount, so that they will all wear at the same rate.

Basically it's usually best to get a new set of 4.

But it's not going to grenade the transmission tomorrow, you'll have some time. What's wrong with the 1 tire that needs replacing?
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 07-08-2011, 02:15 PM
The NEWBIE

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
If the tires are worn down some, you would need another of the same tire that's worn the same amount, so that they will all wear at the same rate.

Basically it's usually best to get a new set of 4.

But it's not going to grenade the transmission tomorrow, you'll have some time. What's wrong with the 1 tire that needs replacing?
it has no treads...completely worn out...the rears are good, the front right is at 50% and the front left is just like slick tires:P
is it usual for these cars to kinda smoke white and smelly when they are cold?
Old 07-08-2011, 03:03 PM

Registered SVX

R those dents I see , (one behind the pass door and one on the driver side rear fender by the light ) or it it just reflection. If it was mine , until I could afford the paint job, I would 120 sand & paint the roof with a can of black automotive paint . BTW I am great with rattle cans. Go real slow and fine even coats stand on a ladder / for the bumpers I would sand them with 120 paper and I would get Bumper paint at the same store. The interior is the best part, that is not that ruff. at least it looks ok. None are pristine. Hey it is 20 years old. Clean it with some leather cleaner and then treat it with conditioner. NOW u say white smoke . I hope you don't mean sweet smelling white vapor . That is the sign of a head gasket failure . If it is oil smell then it is just valve seals and it could be from sitting awhile . TAKE pictures as you go