How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2016, 04:30 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
I'm now the proud, humble owner of the "Pace Car"

Hello, all. Long time, no "see." I've just had one of the most crazy things happen.

How I came about owning the Subaru SVX PPG Pace Car Replica:

Here's the story. More than you want to know, but I figured it needed some backstory. Here goes...

In 1999, I was seduced...by a car.

I saw it at a tiny, funky little car lot as I drove to and from lunch. I would ask myself, “what is it?” I had never seen anything like it. I was intrigued with its sleek lines and freaky windows. Finally, one day, I was sitting at Dairy Queen, around the corner from my office and this guy came driving up in it. I wouldn't let him see that I was eye-balling it. I was being very cool on the outside, while my insides were going nuts. After he drove away, I decided it was a “sign.” I had to go look at it. After work that day, I stopped by the little lot, walked around the car, and looked at the rear light panel. I said, “No way...that can't be a FREAKIN' SUBARU!” Suddenly, the fellow who had driven it to the Dairy Queen showed up behind me. Asked if I wanted to drive it...I did...the interior was as captivating as the exterior...I loved it...I bought it...my wife almost killed me, but, that's how it started.

Unfortunately, I did my research AFTER buying the car. Social media, for all intents and purposes was in its infancy, but, I found horror stories about transmission problems, warnings about having to have a massive stash of cash if you were going to own one of these cars...I was a little freaked out, but, when you're in love, you dismiss the ugly things and cling to the beauty. The transmission horror stories turned out to be true, the car was a money pit, – I had to have my transmission rebuilt....TWICE...but, I kept on keeping on, but, by this time, I had discovered an online group of those who were enthusiastic about Subaru's “bastard stepchild”: the SVX. Again, the Yahoo group was in its infancy when I joined. It grew fast and furiously and I would “meet” people with whom I'd strike up an online “friendship” never expecting to meet them in real life. I was totally unaware of the adventures this group...this car...would lead me to and through. I was there when the first “Reading” meet was planned, the first to encourage the organizer to “do it” and the first to arrive (I drove 11 hours, just to meet up with people who owned the same kind of car I did – ridiculous! Right?). For the first time, I would put faces to online “handles.” There was “maria is a speednut”, “cube48”, “allenscouse”, “unkle worn” and “larryiii”. At that first meet, I realized that those who drove the SVX were as quirky as the car itself – in a GOOD way. I was there when Chris Townsend offered to host an SVX site, and a group of “rebels” decided to split from the Yahoo group and form “The SVX World Network” (I came up with the name), and offered the first 20.00 to buy the software to get it started. I would eventually be elected “President” of the World Network. It was an honor I felt was undeserved, but hopefully, I carried it well. Over the years, I'd travel to meets in Rockford, IL, Knoxville, TN, Canaan Valley, WV. Shari and I would take a ten day tour from Kentucky, to Burlington, VT for “cube48's” fall meet, over to Rockland, ME (just for pleasure), then, down the road to Snowshoe, WV, to meet with another group of SVX “crazies”, then, back to Kentucky. During those years, I would add to my expanding circle of SVX buddies from all over the U.S. There was Don, John, Ron, Harry and Huck (by now, we were using real names instead of handles). There was Mike, and Mike and Mike.. Troy ...Kelly...Dave...Earl...Michelle... Marissa... Melissa...Ben...and, golly, just too many to mention here, so please don't get upset if I left you out. I've found friends from Ireland, New Zealand, Lebanon, Jersey (the Island, not the state) – none of whom I've met personally, but they feel as close to me as some of those I've met here in the states. Interestingly, my Daughter has visited two of them: Joe, in Ireland, and Trevor, in New Zealand. Joe even hosted my youngest stepson and his friend when they were in Ireland. The SVX community became more to me than a “car club.” They are family. I've said all of that (I could say more, but this is already getting too long) as background, for those who have not been exposed to me (although I don't expose myself that often). Once you've become bitten by the SVX bug, you'll find that relationships become more important than the cars.

Let's fast forward to 2009. I quit my job and struck out on my own. Unfortunately, the wealth I expected to come from becoming my own boss did not materialize. In 2010, my first SVX (nicknamed “Precious” – the old timers know the story) became sidelined by a rusted through brake line and a rusted through fuel line. So, I began to depend upon “The Evil Twin” – which would eventually have to be parked due to a leaking ABS manifold, a leaking cam seal and, possibly a bad coil pack – the FWD fuse had already been placed in its little holder for years prior, due to a binding in the AWD. Of course, I was SURE I would get them running and be a TRUE SVXer again.........some day. Some day never came. I began to distance myself from the community because it made me too sad to hear of meets and exploits and adventures others were having with their SVXes. I would walk around my crippled cars in the driveway...yearning for “some day.” I would even whisper it under my breath... “some day.” Still, “some day” never came. Then, just this past July, we were having our porch torn out and rebuilt. I had to move the SVXes to make way for concrete trucks and workers and such. I had to sit in each of them as they were pulled into my side yard by their small “loader.” First, the Evil Twin, then Patience – tears welled up in my eyes as they crept across the grass – once prancing thoroughbreds, now limping toward “the glue factory.” It was then that I came to the painful conclusion that the much anticipated “some day” would never come: they had to go. So, I posted them on the SVX Network facebook page. John Hoffman kindly transferred the post over to the actual SVX Network page – it made me too sad to even log on “over there.” So..it was done – if they didn't sell, they were going to charity (still may) or, to the salvage yard. I could not watch them waste away any longer. I cried...even Shari cried at the thought. Little did I know what would come from that post.

A couple of days after my post, I got a phone call from a long-time SVX friend. I'm not going to mention any names at this point – I haven't asked their permission – but here's the gist of what was said: We've heard you're getting rid of your SVXes...don't get rid of them yet, we want to fix them if we can, but, if that turns out not to be feasible, would you be amenable to having the “Pace Car.” Needless to say, I was rendered speechless – which is no simple task. After a brief protest, I was told, I'd get a call within a week to let me know what was going on. I spent that night sleepless, while emotions went bouncing around my head like a million rabid ping pong balls, and “visions of sugarplums” danced around them. The next few days were filled with gut-wrenching anticipation – at one point, I thought about calling my friend and saying --- “look...this is too much, don't do this.” Obviously, I never made THAT call, and, probably, if I did, it would've fallen on deaf ears. Next thing...I'm getting an email. It's to Huck and some others – and I'd been carbon copied. Basically, it said: I've gotten the money together, I'll be sending you a check this week, you and Randy work out transfer, insurance and delivery. You could've knocked me over with a feather...a very, very small feather. It was REALLY happening. There are few times I've been reduced to a snot-slinging, blubbering puddle of tears. Most recently, it was my daughter's wedding in 2009. The time before that was when, as Network President, I addressed those gathered in Lafayette, IN, in 2002, for the 10th Anniversary Meet – I started talking about how the SVX community had become like family...I got emotional...started blubbering and felt like a complete idiot. Now, the most recent blubbering incident can be attributed to that email. And, what's even crazier is that this was happening right around my birthday.

As I've said to all who contributed to this crazy event, “thank you” seems so anemic and inadequate. I mean, what do you say to such an act – a gift that surpasses anything you've ever received from even “blood” family? It has all been just soooooo surreal. It is simply further proof that SVXers are just such a unique and special bunch of people – only SVXers can relate when I speak of that hole in your soul that occurs once you've become so invested in this silly-windowed car, and to unwittingly lose it through no fault of your own.

So, now you have the story. I have been humbled and remain in disbelief. No words are truly adequate to express how this entire situation has made me feel. When I went to Huck's house to pick up the car, Huck's wife Carol looked at me and said, “You have some people out there that really care about you, and think a lot of you.” Honestly, I can't, for the life of me think why. I truly feel so undeserving.
So, for now, I'm afraid “thank you” will have to suffice along with knowing that, because of some very special people in this quirky community I love so much, there is no longer a hole in my soul. See you at Reading!
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI

Last edited by Aredubjay; 09-06-2016 at 05:17 PM.
Old 09-06-2016, 06:15 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: I'm now the proud, humble owner of the "Pace Car"

Randy you have brought new life to the SVX community, I have seen some of the old guard fall by the wayside, but there are still the soul members that will always have it at heart.
Great to have you back.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 09-06-2016, 06:27 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Couldn't have happened to a better guy! Good luck with the latest SVX Randy. Your post made me smile. It will be nice to think of you and the beautiful naviguesser riding around in it like old times. I don't know what lot of folks made this happen, but they sure are a great bunch! The SVX community isn't the same when you're not around. I think everyone involved probably had that in mind.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.

Last edited by immortal_suby; 09-06-2016 at 06:36 PM.
Old 09-06-2016, 06:53 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX

Immortal Suby,

The "Beautiful Naviguesser" does not Ride around with Randy in the pace car and never will. I ride around with her in her own SVX named "Pearly." Or she rides with me in "Subydoo", "Alcyone", and "SVXY."
Sometimes she even gives me gas money.
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!
Old 09-06-2016, 07:10 PM

Registered SVX

That is very very awesome. very heart warming.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:04 PM

Registered SVX

the replica pace car is for sale here today
http://desmoines.craigslist.org/ctd/5762345528.html

97 SVX Lsi 70k
2003 s2000
91 RT4WD 166K
Old 09-07-2016, 08:06 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

It was an honor to hand over the title and keys to you Randy, and I'm happy that the Pace Car went to a true Enthusiast!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2560.jpg (957.0 KB, 333 views)
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 09-07-2016, 08:42 AM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

This is a great story! Congrats!
Old 09-07-2016, 09:27 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by bheinen74 View Post
the replica pace car is for sale here today
http://desmoines.craigslist.org/ctd/5762345528.html

POSER!
Subaru Ambassador

Old 09-07-2016, 09:30 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryIII View Post
Immortal Suby,

The "Beautiful Naviguesser" does not Ride around with Randy in the pace car and never will. I ride around with her in her own SVX named "Pearly." Or she rides with me in "Subydoo", "Alcyone", and "SVXY."
Sometimes she even gives me gas money.

And never will? We'll see about that. ....at Reading.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 09-07-2016, 09:32 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by immortal_suby View Post
Couldn't have happened to a better guy! Good luck with the latest SVX Randy. Your post made me smile. It will be nice to think of you and the beautiful naviguesser riding around in it like old times. I don't know what lot of folks made this happen, but they sure are a great bunch! The SVX community isn't the same when you're not around. I think everyone involved probably had that in mind.
Thank you...it has been an exciting and humbling experience.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 09-07-2016, 09:35 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au View Post
Randy you have brought new life to the SVX community, I have seen some of the old guard fall by the wayside, but there are still the soul members that will always have it at heart.
Great to have you back.
Great to "hear your voice" again, y' ol' ozzie! Been too long.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 09-07-2016, 09:42 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by huck369 View Post
It was an honor to hand over the title and keys to you Randy, and I'm happy that the Pace Car went to a true Enthusiast!
HA! Now I know why you wanted that "overhead" shot. You just HAD to get me with the <color that won't be spoken> SVX. And, thank you, Huck, for your part in making this happen. You know I'll take care of her -- I've already dusted off the ol' California Car Duster and put it in the trunk for special occasions.

Folks can't see it, because of my sunglasses, but, I was wearing my Reading X "year of the pace car" hat, along with my Reading X t-shirt.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 09-07-2016, 09:46 AM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

It is nice to see you on the forums again, so many of the threads I used for reference over they years had your avatar on them.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 09-07-2016, 09:50 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean486 View Post
It is nice to see you on the forums again, so many of the threads I used for reference over they years had your avatar on them.

Thank you, Sean. I'm happy to be back. I probably won't be as "active" as in earlier years, but -- I noticed it had been 2014 since my last login, yesterday -- I'll definitely be checking in more often.
Subaru Ambassador