Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 04-12-2003, 01:15 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
Manifold cleaning...shines!

Welp i finally got around to popping the hood and dealing with the 12 years of mess under there. It was reaaaally bad. I decrapped alot of things, and went out and bought some things to try and polish up my pitted and grime filled manifold.
heres what it looked like before i got to work on the manifold and metal pieces.
BEFORE
I went to good old menards and got a fine Brass brush, some grade 2 steel wool and some nice heavy duty latex gloves.Also pi cked up some Alum Polish(mothers) but that was a waste of 5 bux.
I went to work with the steel wool and scrubbed for an hour or so, making sure not to scrath anything else and trying to keep the wool some what containted with towels covering around the manifold, occasionally stopping to empty them and shake them out. i then scrubbed with the brass brush,which really did a nice job if you ask me. I finished it off with the mothers alum polish, but ireally dont think that did its moneys worth. i also used the wool on other metal pieces on the air conditioning lines and so forth, and they are shining very nicely now as well.
Heres the finished product:
Shiney

An hour or so later, i had the whole engine bay looking nice and orderly.
[IAll done

It took a day to do but i can finally pop the hood of my car and be proud. Im really glad i bought a project car, it makes me feel really good to be able to see my progess, not just have it handed to me. The only thing im afraid of is soon im gonna run out of free things to do

P.S. All of you at reading are seeing the transformation of my headlights thanks to mike!!!!! Cant wait to get them back!
take care,
phil
Old 04-12-2003, 01:36 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Re: Manifold cleaning...shines!

Quote:
Originally posted by Phast SVX
The only thing im afraid of is soon im gonna run out of free things to do
Uh... want to waste about 6 hours? I know a way to do that.

Also know anyone who does fiberglass work? I want to redo the interior trim in my car.

L
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 04-12-2003, 01:50 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Very nice Phast!!

I like that look better than the smooth polished intake. I'm going to need to do that to mine because the previous owner has painted it a slightly lighter silver. Looks bad.
Old 04-12-2003, 02:07 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
Phil, you just need to paint your powersteering reservoir and it'll look almost new!

- Rob
Old 04-12-2003, 02:48 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Pure_Insanity8 Send a message via AIM to Pure_Insanity8
Looks really nice Phil! That brass brush did most of the work? I think that looks like the way I will clean mine... I didn't quite like how chromey the coated manifold looked... your's (now) is much more to my liking.

Keen eye Rob. I didn't even notice the paint chips on the reservoir... Phil probably didn't really want us to either.

SVX: '92 Dark Teal 101k

'97 Legacy GT Wagon: dead
'99 Civic Si: daily driver... stolen and stripped with all my tools!
'92 Yamaha FZR 600: garage
2011 Jetta: Daily disappointment
Old 04-12-2003, 03:08 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
I noticed because I dinged mine while taking it off to replace the O-ring. Seriously though, the engine looks GREAT, with the exception of that one part. A few minutes and a can of spraypaint later and you're SET man!

- Rob

PS: The only thing bad about bare aluminum is that it oxidizes fairly quickly. I know you can coat it with some clear sealant, but it tends to turn yellow over time. Maybe there's some new stuff out there? I'll check my car craft magazines.... those guys are always cleaning their intakes. I actually sandblasted my intake for my Charger's 383 when I was 17. Look fantastic, a lot like Phil's intake. It's just hard to keep it looking that nice. But I think we might be able to find a solution.
Old 04-12-2003, 05:02 PM

What a great job! I'm going to have to find the time to do mine, after this long cold snowy winter mines a mess, regards dave
Old 04-12-2003, 06:22 PM

Jumping on the bandwagon, I too think it looks great, even inspiring, gotta get me a brush.
Old 04-13-2003, 10:42 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
That looks awesome, Phil! The brass wire brush did most of the shiny on the intake? I've tried steel wool on mine and it did basically nothing. I'll have to get myself a fine brass brush. I don't think I've seen a P/S resevoir yet that didn't have the paint chipped by the bolts.

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.
Old 04-13-2003, 01:49 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Pure_Insanity8 Send a message via AIM to Pure_Insanity8
Quote:
Originally posted by CigarJohnny
That looks awesome, Phil! The brass wire brush did most of the shiny on the intake? I've tried steel wool on mine and it did basically nothing. I'll have to get myself a fine brass brush. I don't think I've seen a P/S resevoir yet that didn't have the paint chipped by the bolts.
I don't think mine is chipped... I'll have to check when I get home though.

I hope it doesn't oxidize that fast... what is it coated with originally, anything?

SVX: '92 Dark Teal 101k

'97 Legacy GT Wagon: dead
'99 Civic Si: daily driver... stolen and stripped with all my tools!
'92 Yamaha FZR 600: garage
2011 Jetta: Daily disappointment