How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 06-27-2011, 11:16 PM

Registered SVX
storage

My Svx will be sitting In my garage for a year. It wont be turned on or move.
should I drain the fluids or leave as is?
I appreciate any insight to the situation.
92 LSL Pearl 205k+ mi. 4.44 Trans (no 1st or reverse) | VR3 deck, Shark class-D amp, 6.5" bass tube, JVC front, Lanzar rear | SPD trunk struts. Gotta get ones for hood, the random auto store ones don't cut it. Vice grips work tho | DDM HID's 55W shining nice and white.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:28 PM

Re: storage

Put it up on 4 jackstands and disconnect the negative battery cable. Put some fuel stablizer in the tank.

Might be good to change the oil when you put it back on the road.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:38 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Battery maintainer (what are they called?) couldn't hurt. When you take it out of storage, make sure to change all the fluids.

I would see if there's anything that can be done to prevent the piston rings from sticking. The engine I swapped into my blue car was only sitting for about 9 months, but the rings no longer seal properly.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 06-28-2011, 06:58 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

You should never leave a car unloaded on jack stands for an extended period of time. It is bad on the bushings as they are in a position they rarely see. You're much better off finding a set of crappy tires to avoid flat spotting. You will want to change your oil when you put it in and when you pull it out, make sure the garage is mouse free or use some moth balls around the engine and some steel wool in the exhaust.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:48 AM

Registered SVX

I got 4 baldish tires that would be perfect for the job. Didn't think about fuel. Thanks for the input.
Rodent free. Will swap out some fluids after hibernation unless I get a compelling argument.
92 LSL Pearl 205k+ mi. 4.44 Trans (no 1st or reverse) | VR3 deck, Shark class-D amp, 6.5" bass tube, JVC front, Lanzar rear | SPD trunk struts. Gotta get ones for hood, the random auto store ones don't cut it. Vice grips work tho | DDM HID's 55W shining nice and white.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:40 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinz View Post
I got 4 baldish tires that would be perfect for the job. Didn't think about fuel. Thanks for the input.
Rodent free. Will swap out some fluids after hibernation unless I get a compelling argument.
Don't forget about the fluids before and after as oil and brake fluid absorb water and deposits resulting in corrosion. I always filled the tank with gas and stable, then drove home about 5 miles to ensure that the stable finds its way into the lines and up to the injectors. Old tires are the trick, fill 'em up to 40psi or so. If it is a damp garage don't forget about a cup of camp dry (to keep the musty smell out or better yet a dehumidifier empted regularly.