Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 02-16-2010, 09:19 PM

how hot is too hot??

Im finally finished with my engine swap putting the 3.3L into my 86 Vanagon - before yall hate the donor car was mostly junked -

im fine tuning the coolant system and its quite a doozey. the vanagon system is a sealed system - no radiator cap - and i think i might have a bad thermostat. if i have a bad thermostat i dont want to replace it until im absolutly positive its the problem

im curious as to normal operating block temperatures for the svx. im planning on getting a laser thermometer to make sure i dont overheat the block while i test the system. so far its been getting what seems very hot very fast - my fears are that ive got an air bubble somewhere in the motor...
Old 02-16-2010, 09:27 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX
Re: how hot is too hot??

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin_dodge View Post
Im finally finished with my engine swap putting the 3.3L into my 86 Vanagon - before yall hate the donor car was mostly junked -

im fine tuning the coolant system and its quite a doozey. the vanagon system is a sealed system - no radiator cap - and i think i might have a bad thermostat. if i have a bad thermostat i dont want to replace it until im absolutly positive its the problem

im curious as to normal operating block temperatures for the svx. im planning on getting a laser thermometer to make sure i dont overheat the block while i test the system. so far its been getting what seems very hot very fast - my fears are that ive got an air bubble somewhere in the motor...
If there is a bubble or you assume there is best to attempt to get rid of it. I believe the the operating temp is somewhere near 200 212 so anything above that and you are asking for trouble I hope you find out and don't destroy the block in the process.

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 02-17-2010, 01:49 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin_dodge View Post

The sealed system must have a pressure relief valve in lieu of the normal pressure radiator cap. The boiling point of the fluid is fixed as a result of the maximum working pressure set by the valve. Investigate accordingly.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 02-17-2010, 02:43 PM
Now down to only ONE!

I believe on the 3.0 H6 and maybe the 3.3 also there is a trick about raising the front of the car and running the motor to free a trapped air bubble when replacing the coolant.

Perhaps ask YT or OT.
96 SVX Lsi #821, Bordeaux Pearl, 4.44 98 Legacy Trans, Trans Resistor Mod, Dakota Digital Trans Temp Gauge on A-Pillar Pod (awesome), B&M Trans Cooler in Driver's Wheel Well, External Spin-on Trans Filter, Synthetic Fluids in Trans and Diffs, 17x7.5 Primax 695 Rims, Alcyone Rear Panel, Svxfiles' 5000 k HIDs, Clear Headlights, "BOXER6" License Plate, Hard Wired Radar Detector, 94 Power Up Window Switch, Motor Resealed, new Coil Packs, new NGK Iridium Plugs, PVC Valve, Drilled and Slotted Rotors, Gloss Black Calipers and Rotors, EBC Greenstuff Pads, SS Brake Lines, Superb TomsSVX Cat Back Exhaust... SS Resonator, Flowmaster 80 Muffler, Magnaflow Quad SS Tips, Poly Swaybar Bushings, Endlink Mod, Rear Subframe Bushing Mod. Feels great and sounds even better. Thanks to AWD, LLC.

2003 Outback llb H6 3.0 Titanium Pearl- "BOXERR" Mostly Stock

1995 Bmw 325i Conv. Calypso Red- "RBOXER" Modest Mods

2004 Sea Doo Sportster 4-tec 15' Jet Boat, 1494cc, 1454#, 155 HP= <10#/HP Stock