Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2010, 04:02 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: transmission problem revisited

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
tough work, took a whole 2 minutes to find after i searched for "checking transmission codes"
This is what they mean. Long blinks are tens, short blinks are units.

List of TCU Trouble Codes
Trouble Code Item
11 Duty solenoid A
12 Duty solenoid B
13 Shift solenoid 3
14 Shift solenoid 2
15 Shift solenoid 1
21 ATF temp sensor
22 Atmospheric sensor
23 Engine revolution signal
24 Duty solenoid C
25 Engine Torque Control
31 Throttle sensor
32 Vehicle speed sensor 1
33 Vehicle speed sensor 2

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.

Last edited by oab_au; 02-05-2010 at 05:20 PM. Reason: 25 was missing
Old 02-05-2010, 06:09 PM

ok i understand..... and the sarcasm DOSE NOT HELP.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:23 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92_LSL View Post
You will get plenty of it here from a certain person, it being their only stock in trade. Good on you for making your point.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 02-06-2010, 06:07 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
The forum is here to help each other. Unfortunately people sometimes get frustrated when the search button is ignored and people want to be spoon fed the information. Multiple threads all of the same nature can also be confusing and make it more difficult to help in diagnosing a problem.

It helps alot if you start out with a certain problem in a thread (like your transmission), and it later gives you trouble again, to continue the same thread. This way helpful background information on the problem can be easily found.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:03 PM

well i finally found out what the problem is. the pump for the transmission took a sh** and was making a hideous whining noise which caused the torque converter to die. also the flywheel is wobbling at low rpm's (i don't know how this happened).
Old 02-06-2010, 05:46 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
well i finally found out what the problem is. the pump for the transmission took a sh** and was making a hideous whining noise which caused the torque converter to die. also the flywheel is wobbling at low rpm's (i don't know how this happened).
Maybe the flex plate has cracked, to allow the torque converter to wobble. The pump's drive tube is part of the converter, so the pump got wobbled also.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:20 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au View Post
Maybe the flex plate has cracked, to allow the torque converter to wobble. The pump's drive tube is part of the converter, so the pump got wobbled also. Harvey.
Not a maybe. Not a possibility.

The convertor can not wobble. “Wobble” describes lateral movement. The torque converter is independently supported. It would be ridiculous to have the flex plate providing sole support.

Probably again “you did not explain yourself very well”, and meant to indicate that drive via the flex plate could be erratic, unstable, loose, insecure, faulty, defective.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 02-06-2010, 09:48 PM

there is a small hole where the flywheel is visible. i was looking at it earlier and it looked like the flywheel was wobbling at low rpm's. what i was saying about the torque converter is that the pump that circulates the transmission fluid messed up and was not supplying enough fluid and the torque converter took a crap. that is what my transmission guy said (excuse me if i said anything stupid, i really don't know anything about automatic transmissions).
Old 02-06-2010, 10:06 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
there is a small hole where the flywheel is visible. i was looking at it earlier and it looked like the flywheel was wobbling at low rpm's. what i was saying about the torque converter is that the pump that circulates the transmission fluid messed up and was not supplying enough fluid and the torque converter took a crap. that is what my transmission guy said (excuse me if i said anything stupid, i really don't know anything about automatic transmissions).
You said nothing stupid. Things could definitely have looked like they were wobbling at low RPM, because you were looking at an uneven surface.

However one claiming to be an engineer, should no better.

Old 02-06-2010, 11:04 PM

well from what iv'e gathered you know what your talking about, from what i tried to describe what do you think is wrong ?
Old 02-06-2010, 11:57 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
well from what iv'e gathered you know what your talking about, from what i tried to describe what do you think is wrong ?
#1 i started my svx this afternoon and was listening to the whining noise coming from the transmission and i realized that the noise is coming from the very front of the transmission. what do you guys think the problem is ?

#4 when i bought the car first gear was unusually long and the transmission made a loud whining noise. that's the only symptoms that i really remember. also when i bought it it was flashing power on the dash, which i now know where trouble code

#5 it's a whining noise, you can't hear it after first gear

#10 i am going to check the codes and i will make another post when i find out what the problem is.

N.B. ----- This would have provided important information.

#20 well i finally found out what the problem is. the pump for the transmission took a sh** and was making a hideous whining noise which caused the torque converter to die.

#23 i was saying about the torque converter is that the pump that circulates the transmission fluid messed up and was not supplying enough fluid and the torque converter took a crap. that is what my transmission guy said

The transmission guy has provided you with very, very, sketchy information, which does not make a lot of real sense. Exactly how did he carry out his diagnosis? Has he pulled anything to pieces? In any event, at this point without more detailed and exact information, it is difficult to argue.

Old 02-07-2010, 12:31 PM

i know the information is sketchey and i have only known the transmission guy for a month and i have been going by what he says. like i said before i don't know my ass from a hole in the ground when it comes to automatic transmissions. i just want to get my car running, thats all. here i am going to TRY to give you a list of what the car is doing.

#1. when you start the car it makes a whining noise that lasts for about a minute.

#2.when you rev the engine a slight rattling noise comes from the transmission (it sounds like ball bearings in coffee can).

#3. once the car is warmed up it will not go into gear. when the transmission is cold it will drive but it will rev to about 4k in first gear and then shift, while it slips whenever it wants.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:48 PM
Phil & Belha

Quote:
i don't know my ass from a hole in the ground when it comes to automatic transmissions. i just want to get my car running, thats all.
Unless you are a skilled mechanic, ALL transmission problems have the SAME solution: Take the car to a transmission guy, ask him to fix it, pay the money.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II
Old 02-07-2010, 03:18 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:

#3. once the car is warmed up it will not go into gear.
When you operate the selector? After a gear has been selected? Will not change into another gear?

Quote:
when the transmission is cold it will drive but it will rev to about 4k in first gear and then shift, while it slips whenever it wants.
Slips only under load? In all gears or which gear?

I have spent a time and effort trying to assist you. I suggest that you spend a similar amount of time and effort yourself.

Old 02-07-2010, 04:26 PM

no once it is warmed up and you put in ANY GEAR it will not move, it will just sit there even when you press the gas

Slips only under load? In all gears or which gear?
all gears and yes only under load