IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2007, 05:48 PM
Certified Porschephile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir
new hyundai's
I actually got the 2007 Forester Sports for less then a Hyundai Tuscon. A no brainer.
Old 07-05-2007, 05:57 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by subeman90
what about a suzuki sx4. They are AWD and rather sporty looking and comes with a good warranty too.

I wondered when you were gonna suggest the only real true Subaru on the market today sans a boxer. Its worth a look. I think the biggest complaint is it isn't great on gas for what it is but with America's best warranty (sorry GM but you don't have it) loaded for $16k or so. Only question mark in my mind is how's it gonna stack up in crash testing as the Alero or whatever it was wasn't so good in side impact testing.

I wouldn't buy a Hyundai as its like buying a Chinese car and $%^^ the world enviroment and workers rights but they have come a long way. I do suggest the Hyundai to people who don't care about human rights when they buy products.
Old 07-06-2007, 04:45 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger
I actually got the 2007 Forester Sports for less then a Hyundai Tuscon. A no brainer.

hmmm, that's crazy. wife wanted a Tucson, but i though the new Santa Fe's were pretty nice-looking.

i saw a Suzuki Grand Vitara the other day, and it was actually pretty nice - they have some sweet flared out fenders.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 07-06-2007, 09:05 PM
Headed to Texas...

These threads always amaze me. I say this from the perspective of - if you're not really sure what you want, then whatever you do decide to get is probably going to be very annoying about a week after you get it. Get what you WANT, and if nothing grabs you right now, then wait til it does.

Sounds like what you want is the Mini. stop wasting time and get it

jnj7707@yahoo.com
Old 07-07-2007, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxxx26
These threads always amaze me. I say this from the perspective of - if you're not really sure what you want, then whatever you do decide to get is probably going to be very annoying about a week after you get it. Get what you WANT, and if nothing grabs you right now, then wait til it does.

Sounds like what you want is the Mini. stop wasting time and get it
Mike, I'd shy away from the not-so-mini. Think BMW pricing on maint and wear items. Both people I knew with a not-so-mini got rid of 'em because they were always in the shop for tires and or brakes. The one even works at Manheim so he has access to have it done at work. For perspective, he kept his Land Rover Disco over a Mini.
Old 07-07-2007, 01:49 PM
Headed to Texas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob
Mike, I'd shy away from the not-so-mini. Think BMW pricing on maint and wear items. Both people I knew with a not-so-mini got rid of 'em because they were always in the shop for tires and or brakes. The one even works at Manheim so he has access to have it done at work. For perspective, he kept his Land Rover Disco over a Mini.
I didn't say the Mini was a good choice, I'm saying get what you like. Any vehicle can be rationalized to be the right choice if you like it.

jnj7707@yahoo.com
Old 07-07-2007, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxxx26
I didn't say the Mini was a good choice, I'm saying get what you like. Any vehicle can be rationalized to be the right choice if you like it.
And Mike's a smart guy who's had some tough times as of late finacially. With your logic he would've already gotten something based on color and looks and then might find out 3 weeks later he didn't like his choice or worse yet it'll cost him $1800 a year in maint. That wouldn't be a wise decision for someone who's trying to get back on his feet. Hence the reason why he asked for some help from others who might know more about the vehicles he's looking at.

With your logic do you go into a stealership and choose a car based only on color? I didn't think so.
Old 07-07-2007, 05:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to wannarace928 Send a message via Yahoo to wannarace928
Classic SVX
Although I hate the dodge neon as much or more than the next person, I have to admit, if you are trying to get back on your feet and need a cheap, reliable daily driver, they are a good car and can take ALOT of abuse. I have had mine for 3 years, I bought it to keep milage off of my other cars, and it was cheap (the subaru I had at the time betrayed me and it was either that or a suzuki). BUT It has been extremely reliable. I have put over 100k miles on it, and besides doing oil changes and regular maintenance (air filter, spark plugs, ect) I have only had to replace the radiator. Which was a very cheap fix (when compaired to something like the SVX). And it is decent on gas, around 34mpg.
I would recommend a neon or a toyota corolla. Though they are not the "prettiest, or fastest" but they are reliable. And are affordable. The toyota will definately outlast the neon, but they are a little more expensive. Just dont count out a car like that altogether when looking for something to get back on your feet. Some of the nicer, flashier cars also have a rather high maintenance bill to come with it. Only major issue with the neon is, they quit making it, so you could only get a used one.
You might be able to get a nice used Legacy sedan for less than 20k though.

Last edited by wannarace928; 07-07-2007 at 07:51 PM.
Old 07-07-2007, 07:46 PM
Certified Porschephile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark
hmmm, that's crazy. wife wanted a Tucson, but i though the new Santa Fe's were pretty nice-looking.

i saw a Suzuki Grand Vitara the other day, and it was actually pretty nice - they have some sweet flared out fenders.
The new Sante Fe is larger then the old one to make room for the Tucson. The Forester is bigger then the Tucson, but smaller then the Sante Fe. The new Vera Cruz is Tribeca size. The Sante Fe was $27k+. The Tucson was $21 - $24k depending what was on it. The sticker on the superior built, bigger, and better AWD system, Forester Sports was $23,120 and I paid $19,120. It only cost me $1k for a bumper to bumper 6 year/80,000 mile warranty. The Hyndai V-6 is just barely more powerful then Subaru's 2.5 H-4 and gets worse mpg.
Old 07-07-2007, 08:05 PM
Headed to Texas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob
And Mike's a smart guy who's had some tough times as of late finacially. With your logic he would've already gotten something based on color and looks and then might find out 3 weeks later he didn't like his choice or worse yet it'll cost him $1800 a year in maint. That wouldn't be a wise decision for someone who's trying to get back on his feet. Hence the reason why he asked for some help from others who might know more about the vehicles he's looking at.

With your logic do you go into a stealership and choose a car based only on color? I didn't think so.
Good lord, lighten up!

I'm thinking he's an adult and can pick out what car he likes. I know it's a stretch, but still.....he asked for an opinion and there's mine, somehow I think he can handle it with the rest of the response mix.

And no, this isn't a choice based on color - don't think I even mentioned that, it's about finding a vehicle that may meet all your wise criteria AND be something you actually like to drive, that you look at a few months down the road and don't resent making payments on it.

jnj7707@yahoo.com
Old 07-07-2007, 08:08 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger
The new Sante Fe is larger then the old one to make room for the Tucson. The Forester is bigger then the Tucson, but smaller then the Sante Fe. The new Vera Cruz is Tribeca size. The Sante Fe was $27k+. The Tucson was $21 - $24k depending what was on it. The sticker on the superior built, bigger, and better AWD system, Forester Sports was $23,120 and I paid $19,120. It only cost me $1k for a bumper to bumper 6 year/80,000 mile warranty. The Hyndai V-6 is just barely more powerful then Subaru's 2.5 H-4 and gets worse mpg.

i would have figured the Tucson was cheaper than the Forester - that's a no-brainer with the Forester costing less.

1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 07-09-2007, 01:57 PM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX
eh, Hyundais do nothing for me.

I signed the papers and Ill be taking delivery of a brand new 07 Mini Cooper with a 6 speed manual and premium package (sunroof, multifunction wheel, etc) and heated seats, cold package, climate control, etc.

The Mini will be British racing green with a black roof and black bonnet stripes. Now, I wait....... Eagerly
Old 07-09-2007, 02:01 PM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX
Some Quick Specs: ( I have to really be out the door right now)

6 speed Manual
FREE Maintenence up to 3yr/36k
3 Year Roadside Assistance
FREE Loaner Car
4/50k Coverage on Most Items
5/75 on powertrain

40mpg Highway and all of the gadgets from the SVX that make me fall in love with a car, with the exception of power seats, but I did get HEATED seats.

I got out the door for about $20k Ill list more details later. My insurance isnt going up, my payments are lower than what I had with my 9 year old Mercedes, and Im saving at the pump and I can drive past every parts store and most gas stations!!

Last edited by Mike621; 07-09-2007 at 02:04 PM.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:46 PM
Headed to Texas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike621
eh, Hyundais do nothing for me.

I signed the papers and Ill be taking delivery of a brand new 07 Mini Cooper with a 6 speed manual and premium package (sunroof, multifunction wheel, etc) and heated seats, cold package, climate control, etc.

The Mini will be British racing green with a black roof and black bonnet stripes. Now, I wait....... Eagerly
Congrats on the new Mini, Mike....enjoy!

jnj7707@yahoo.com
Old 07-10-2007, 03:47 AM
Certified Porschephile

BRG is one of the finest colors for a car. Black being my first choice for a sports car, followed by red. Good luck with her.