SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2007, 06:46 AM
Network Design Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin
That's great, too bad I wasn't talking about the iPhone.

I bolded the relevant part of the sentence you clearly ignored:

This is just like the people who claimed the iPod didn't have a user replaceable battery. Or that the Mac Mini is impossible to upgrade. Ever assembled a snap-tite model? Then you can replace the battery on an ipod, or get into a mini:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2-qCIBW2-lw

I replaced my battery in under 3 minutes with just one small screwdriver. The people running around screaming "ZOMG ALL TEH IPOD BATTERIES ARE DYING FOREVER!" are the ones spreading the hype.
But you see, Im not running around saying ZOMG the batteries are dying, Apple will die.

All I am saying that since I cant simply open a door to replace the battery... I dont like it.

Im not Anti-Apple at all. I actually looked very hard at the iPod before I finally decided on an iriver clix gen 2... check on out some time... in my OPINION it blows the usabilty and functionality of the iPod out of the water.

Guess what, the battery there is not user replaceable either. I dont like that, but I have to deal with it. However we dont use that nearly as much as we do our cell phones, which will need battery replacements eventually.
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 07-04-2007, 06:48 AM
Network Design Administrator

Quote:
I don't own a neon. Why do you keep mentioning neons? Do you own one?
Do a search for Neon, or even Apple for that matter on here... you should figure it out rather fast.
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 07-04-2007, 07:18 AM
Hater

Quote:
I don't own a neon. Why do you keep mentioning neons? Do you own one?

yeah, but you used to.

FWIW, i don't care if you're back, and the "secret identity" is amusing, too.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 07-04-2007, 07:22 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark
... and the "secret identity" is amusing, too.
It was amusing for the first couple days, now I'm just waiting for history to repeat itself...
Old 07-04-2007, 12:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSVX
But you see, Im not running around saying ZOMG the batteries are dying, Apple will die.

All I am saying that since I cant simply open a door to replace the battery... I dont like it.

Im not Anti-Apple at all. I actually looked very hard at the iPod before I finally decided on an iriver clix gen 2... check on out some time... in my OPINION it blows the usabilty and functionality of the iPod out of the water.

Guess what, the battery there is not user replaceable either. I dont like that, but I have to deal with it. However we dont use that nearly as much as we do our cell phones, which will need battery replacements eventually.
Ever heard of Penny Arcade? They're a bunch of IT guys who run a web comic, and they've always bashed apple religiously. Then.... oddly enough, one of them started liking apple. The other guy still hates it. BUT, he's getting an iPhone. However, his review of the iPhone says what I've been trying to say far better than I ever did (remember, he hates apple):

I'll be heading down to the Apple Store tomorrow morning to take the temperature of the line. I don't think I can invest a whole day in it, but if I can get one of these Goddamned things I'm going to try. I switched from the Sidekick to an HTC Wizard to get away from a closed platform before - I craved the Sidekick's ample selection of Urban ringtones, but I could always sense the wrought-iron lattice of its limitations cinching in around me. I'm not unhappy with Windows Mobile, and I've appreciated the ability to install third party applications - at least in the abstract. I just think I'm ready to use a device where each application was designed by people who seem to talk to one another on occasion. I sometimes get the impression using this phone that every program on it was designed by a different alien culture, each in conflict with the other, each clinging to radically different values and ideas about what it means to be civilized.

(next day)

If you would like to know if the iPhone is great, well, it is great. Worth waiting in line? There's no question. Yes, once you realize that iTunes simply doesn't work correctly on 64-bit Vista, and once you agree to eject yourself from your negotiated Business Plan and pay twenty times more, you will be able to see a map that displays nearby sushi.

Having serviced Macs at one point in my illustrious IT career, I understand that there is simply an Apple Way of doing things, and it is often a very, very good way but it's still their way as opposed to some natural ratio of the universe. It's not universal, and there are strange blind spots, but there is a reason that their chosen people hoist the banner. My old phone, one based on Windows Mobile 5.0, had almost every feature the iPhone has - point by point. The differences between the products (like the differences between their desktop cousins) have to do with how functionality is exposed to the user. In this matter, you'll find that Apple's product is almost infuriatingly superior.

I have been waiting for the ability to manipulate technology by pressing dynamic symbols for basically ever. If you find such things unpleasant, then I suggest you develop a taste for forced labor because by the year twenty-twenty all that sneer is going to get you is a slot in the underclass boiling corpses. Get with the ****ing program. Come and touch the neon glyphs.
Old 07-04-2007, 01:00 PM
Hater

so is this thing going to get scratched to hell like my iPod? i'm guessing "yes".

i would never own one, or any non-clamshelll phone, because i'd have the screen busted in a matter of days.

also, for $600, it should have at least 60Gb of mp3 storage.

1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 07-04-2007, 01:16 PM
Banned

Actually, no. The iPhone's screen is glass.... whereas the iPod is polycarbonate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czCCavcnNd8&NR=1

And honestly, I'd rather have ONE gig of solid state storage than 800 gigs of hard drive based storage. I've gone through 3 iPods, and I've sworn I'm never ever getting one again with a hard drive. They die too easy.
Old 07-04-2007, 05:12 PM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark
what about the Neon? that's as plain-jane, bottom of the barrel, "hi i work at a supermarket" as you can get.

not only is Harry not intelligent enough to understand the iPhone concept, he probably wouldn't be able to figure out how to turn it on, and would just end up chewing on it like a horse biscuit.
you're right. :cry:
Old 07-04-2007, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Actually, no. The iPhone's screen is glass.... whereas the iPod is polycarbonate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czCCavcnNd8&NR=1

And honestly, I'd rather have ONE gig of solid state storage than 800 gigs of hard drive based storage. I've gone through 3 iPods, and I've sworn I'm never ever getting one again with a hard drive. They die too easy.
3 huh? i thought iPods were the bestest of them all. god's gift to the world. oh well.

i have a few mp3 players that i use. every last one of them is still in good working condition.

that was one of my major concerns with HDD based mp3 players.
Old 07-04-2007, 06:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir
3 huh? i thought iPods were the bestest of them all. god's gift to the world. oh well.

i have a few mp3 players that i use. every last one of them is still in good working condition.

that was one of my major concerns with HDD based mp3 players.
I don't recall saying that, but seeing as how you're predisposed to hate anything Apple, I'm guessing you're putting words in my mouth. Please don't do that. And yeah, that's why I don't own one anymore, and my current PDA is SD based. And why I want an iPod Nano. The iPhone is cool and all, but I can't afford to pay the $50+ a month service charges for it, nor do I think I ever will. When phone companies start actually competing for my business and bring it to something reasonable, we'll see.
Old 07-04-2007, 08:19 PM

Quote:
I don't recall saying that, but seeing as how you're predisposed to hate anything Apple, I'm guessing you're putting words in my mouth. Please don't do that. And yeah, that's why I don't own one anymore, and my current PDA is SD based. And why I want an iPod Nano. The iPhone is cool and all, but I can't afford to pay the $50+ a month service charges for it, nor do I think I ever will. When phone companies start actually competing for my business and bring it to something reasonable, we'll see.
well you did mention in the past how ipod was #1. i don't hate apple, i just haven't found an apple product that i'm off the wall impressed with. when i find one, i will definitely mention it.

SD is a great format. my phone uses mini-sd so with an adapter i use it in ad products. my cellphone/pda, some mp3 players, my mini-video player, my friend's cd-player has sd capabilities, the availibility of sd readers on quite a few computers nowadays, etc.

i like sd

too bad my canon rebel uses compact flash...then again CF would work better with the faster save times for picture taking.

yeah i too hope that the data service will eventually drop in price. probably take quite a few years though. guess until then i'll still pay that amount for my data service. (cause i use alot of the features on my pda/phone)
Old 07-10-2007, 12:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXyGirl Send a message via Yahoo to SVXyGirl
Registered SVX
im actually typing this message from am iphone now. It's ok but i get bored with things easily so its not for me. And as you can see i make a lot of mistakes i guess my fingers are too fat. I guess these keys are made for csli
calista flockhart. Basically i'm still getting used to it. BTW this is my brothers iphone not mine.
92 Claret SVX LS-L (180k) 09/91 #5,732
06 Suzuki Boulevard M50 7k
68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille (70k) Storage/hibernation for now.

Past SVXs:
94 SVX Emerald Pearl FWD (Sold)
96 SVX Bourdeaux LSi (Sold)
92 Pearl SVX LSL "Stay Puft" 5MT (140k) #148 (RIP)
95 Brilliant Red SVX LS (162k) 12/94 #564 "Killer Tomato" (RIP)

Old 07-12-2007, 11:07 AM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXyGirl
im actually typing this message from am iphone now. It's ok but i get bored with things easily so its not for me. And as you can see i make a lot of mistakes i guess my fingers are too fat. I guess these keys are made for csli
calista flockhart. Basically i'm still getting used to it. BTW this is my brothers iphone not mine.
I don't think your fingers are fat

I have just a plain old HTC Hermes (Cingular 8525). It runs Windows Mobile 6, works flawlessly, has great battery life and most importantly, runs activex, .NET, citrix, SSH, and all the other apps I need to work from anywhere. It has a hot swap 2GB MicroSD card and I keep about 10 extra in my wallet in the space of a credit card. Movies, CD quality MP3s (not that over compressed, painful to listen to Itunes format), books on tape, TV shows, etc. It also runs Outlook and connects direct to my Exchange server without having to open up any extra holes in the firewall.

It also has BUTTONS and a SCROLL WHEEL. I can actually use the device with one hand. I've seen people try to use an Iphone's touchscreen interface with one hand. Its quite entertaining.

Take into consideration Bluetooth Stereo, Voice dial bundled into the OS, GPRS data, support for 320K audio, support for VPN, data encryption and a few other things that the Iphone doesn't have that my HTC does and the $350 HTC seems like a much better deal to me than the $600 Iphone.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 07-12-2007, 03:16 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
iPhone - Will it Blend?

Will it blend?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qg1ckCkm8YI

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 07-12-2007, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohrds
Take into consideration Bluetooth Stereo, Voice dial bundled into the OS, GPRS data, support for 320K audio, support for VPN, data encryption and a few other things that the Iphone doesn't have that my HTC does and the $350 HTC seems like a much better deal to me than the $600 Iphone.

Doug
Dougie Fresh!

I believe the Cingular 8525 is an upgraded version of my Verizon xv6700.

-1 iphone.