Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-24-2007, 05:45 PM

Yokohoma tires Avid V4

Does anyone have Yokohoma Aivd V4 tires on their car? I have read good reviews from tirerack.com on them and they are reasonably priced. I am also looking at the BFGoodridge Traction TA/V. Does anyone have input on the Traction TA?
Thanks in advance.
Ken
Old 04-24-2007, 05:49 PM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
I had the Avid V4 tires...

They were great when they were new. After a year and a half or 20,000 miles later they started getting noisy.

Snow traction once it got older suffered and I found myself slipping and sliding more often in the wet under aggressive driving even though I had a good amount of tread left. Once I started getting a leak from a nail I could no longer plug, I was happy to dump them for the Contiextreme contacts.
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 04-24-2007, 06:59 PM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX
Very noisey.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:06 PM
word words wording

Send a message via AIM to SomethingElse Send a message via MSN to SomethingElse
I reccomend the BFG traction T/A and the Avid V4's. The BFG tires takes corners without screeching as easy but dont last as long and are no good in snow. The Avids are the best bang for the buck and will do good in all seasons.

to keep them from cupping I keep my tire pressure at 36 psi and rotate them every 3k-5k miles. they dont make noise for me.

Rebuilt P/S pump info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50918

If your car wont start info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ighlight=click
Old 04-24-2007, 07:13 PM

Registered SVX
Arrow Avid V4

I have owned several sets of the Yokahama Avid V4/s on my AWD Legacys, and they by far are the best tires I ever owned. Lowest noise of any tires I have ever had, and Ive been driving for 28 years. Minimal wear and excellent in rain and snow. I just bought another set for my 96 Lsi.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:19 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie
How can one person say they are very noisy and another say that they areextremely quiet?
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1995 Spec-ish Miata - track car
1957 CJ-5
Old 04-24-2007, 07:31 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by sicksubie
How can one person say they are very noisy and another say that they areextremely quiet?
Something went wrong with one persons?

I have Avids on one of the Forresters. Never noticed any noise problems, good performance in all conditions. Much better than the Goodyear Allegras on the other Forrester.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 04-24-2007, 08:11 PM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
I might have had a bad set... but I started to develop wheelbearing-like noises, and once I replaced the set it completely went away.

For the money they were good, although the Continentals I did get on sale for 79 a piece from tirerack a few months ago
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 04-24-2007, 09:32 PM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX
When I had the Yokohamas, I drove over 200 miles a day. They were rough sounding. I bought two sets that lasted about two years. Every year one tire would blow exactly the same way. Check the photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tire.jpg (4.8 KB, 131 views)
Old 04-24-2007, 09:37 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannmarr
When I had the Yokohamas, I drove over 200 miles a day. They were rough sounding. I bought two sets that lasted about two years. Every year one tire would blow exactly the same way. Check the photo.
If I had to guess I'd say that's your left rear tire and it was rubbing on the fender lip. I'm probably completely wrong though.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 04-25-2007, 01:59 AM
Still rebuilding my block...
Alcyone Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to cozykat Send a message via MSN to cozykat Send a message via Yahoo to cozykat
Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
I currently own AVID V4s and thus far I enjoy them. They grip securely and with all the rain we have been getting, I haven't felt nervous about their road contact (only nervous about those driving around me ). I only have about 8k on them though. They were a great upgrade from the Eagle RS-As I had.

There is a new Yokohama ADVAN S.4 tire out now ($126) that I look forward to trying because the tread looks more aggresive to me but patience is key... Good luck in your decision. I know I read just about every review before deciding on these tires. It's still tough though because good or bad review, you don't know on what kind of roads reviewers drove on or how aggresive they really drive. I'm not an aggressive driver but I do "enjoy" a curvy road now and again.

The AVIDs cost compared to other tires isn't so drastic that they are not worth trying out. The thing I read the most from reviewers having put 15k or more on them, was the AVIDs were long lasting and quiet.. so I guess I'll know more in 7k.

'93 LSL Anniversary Edition - 02/93 - 150,998 Daily Driver - Forged EG33 (long block), 6MT swap, and re-upholstered interior
'92 Pearl - 100k Side restoration project
Locker | Old Locker | Shutterfly | ReadingIX | Facebook | Instagram
Old 04-25-2007, 04:42 AM
word words wording

Send a message via AIM to SomethingElse Send a message via MSN to SomethingElse
Quote:
Tires need to be maintained too. keep your alignment within spec. check your pressure frequently, replace loose/worn components, rotating is very important.

Rebuilt P/S pump info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50918

If your car wont start info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ighlight=click
Old 04-25-2007, 07:45 AM
Headed to Texas...

Quote:
Good question - ever read the reviews for any tire at TireRack?

I've had the Avid V4s on my stock rims and like them a lot - very quiet and ride/handling were very good. I never put enough miles on them to know if they would turn noisy or not though.

jnj7707@yahoo.com
Old 04-25-2007, 08:24 AM
Formerly known as henryrace@hotma

I like the Avids after 10K they were beginning to get noisy. I can't say they are quiet tires at all but i can't complain about the way they performed in rain, snow or dry roads. I have them on 2 of my cars.......
89 Yamaha FJ1200
07 Yamaha FJR1300

"GO RAVENS"
Old 04-25-2007, 12:02 PM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX
For the money and for the all season performance, they are good. They were quiet at first but after time they got noisy. I'm driving on Kumhos now and I like them much better. Just my taste.