Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-24-2007, 05:44 AM
It's just a phase

Send a message via Yahoo to msvx95
Registered SVX
well I did think about it and made up my mind to go to Midas and have the center res. cut out and str8 piped 2.5" dia put in place....The tech put the car on the lift, had it running and asked me to come over to examine the exhaust we tapped the system with a rubber mallet and didn't hear anything by the front cats or the center resonator...when he began tapping the muffler we heard some noise....the noise went away when the tailpipe cutters were held...so I think I need to get new tailpipe cutters and he agreed that that should be done first.
But for some reason all the noise I usually heard was when the system was cold and it sounded like a loose baffle...I hope I can solve this without replacing each part...muffler, res...etc.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:15 PM

Dont Take that resonator off.

It sounds like you have a cheap rattle that would drive you crazy. I putmine back after 3 hours.

Just my 2 cents.

As for the rattle, i found mine all the way by the flex pipe on the cat. loose screw.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:19 AM
It's just a phase

Registered SVX
mine's driving me fnuts...there's nothing wrong with removing the resonator from the posts I've read, but it really does sound like the rear tailpipe area.
I'm going to remove the tailpipe cutters and see if the problem goes away.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:36 AM
Retired

Send a message via AIM to Nomake Wan Send a message via MSN to Nomake Wan Send a message via Yahoo to Nomake Wan Send a message via Skype™ to Nomake Wan
Some of the posts I read say that removing the resonator and replacing it with straight pipe actually makes the resonance buzz worse...
Old 04-25-2007, 11:41 AM
Either committed, or should be

Send a message via ICQ to thumper_svx Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_svx
Registered SVX
I took the resonator off my car... actually both of my last two SVX's. Apart from a slight increase in volume at highway speeds, I didn't really notice that much difference from stock. In my case, the resonator WAS bad in both cases... rattling badly. However, when compared to the sound of my first SVX that had a good resonator, there was little audible difference.

Now I have a mostly non-stock exhaust. The muffler is the only bit that survives

My Rides:
Red 1996 SVX LSi (Saffron)
2007 Yamaha FJR1300 (Kaitlin)

Previously owned; green '95 L AWD (sold), black/pearlie '94 LSi (too many problems), Polo Green '96 SVX LSi (apparently notThe end of an era)

Member #2 in the Yahoo! club, been here since the beta-testing days. In dire need of a cheaper hobby.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:44 AM
It's just a phase

Registered SVX
Well I got the heat shield rattle fixed.....Resonator was cut out and 2.5" dia. pipe welded on both sides in place...then my welder cut off both heat shields on the pre-cats because the old welds broke and that was causing most of the noise I heard.

All that's left is to see why my tailpipe cutters are slightly rattling....I can't get them off though...I'll have to cut the bolt off and remove them that way.
I hope the muffler baffles aren't bad, but my remaining noise is coming from the tailpipe area.

I also noticed the tone is a little deeper from 1750RPM - 2500 RPM and it's not bad at all. I'd really like to get a muffler with a nice sound to it too now.

Last edited by msvx95; 05-02-2007 at 06:00 AM.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:08 AM

Send a message via AIM to wannarace928 Send a message via Yahoo to wannarace928
Classic SVX
My car also rattles. It drives me insane. I always assumed it was just the resonator but it was a lot more than that.
But I also had a clogged exaust so I went to extremes on mine. I had the precats removed and replaced with straight pipes, the main cat replaced with a high flow one (this was clogged) the resonator cut out and replaced with a straight pipe.
And now it turns out my muffler is RATTLING! So that will be replaced soon too! Time for a trip to Jegs.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:32 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardstanley
How do these babies sound without the resonator?
The exhaust note sounds flat and harsh, drone like, without the resonator in place. I will never replace one with straight pipe again.

Most exhaust companies have resonators for sale. If you can cut open and put in a straight pipe, then you can cut open and weld in a cheap new resonator [non-Subaru, I mean]. That should be an OK solution.

Danny, aka Silverspear opened his resonator around the seam, tacked or brazed the loose baffles, resealed and refitted it. This is a solution that appeals to me, and the one I will use next time I get the rattling blues.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 06-11-2007, 05:14 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I have seen both large heat shields rattle. On mine the heatshield above the muffler had 3 of the 6 bolts pull through and the shield was just bouncing on the muffler.

The previous owner cut the heat shield located between the exhaust and the driveshaft just to install the rear transmission seal. Now that one rattles and is still rattling on my car.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:53 AM
It's just a phase

Registered SVX
Those tailpipe cutters were tough to get off....the nuts were stripped and gunked with rust and grease so the only way to remove them was to cut the clamp around them with my dremel tool....Those things have a little weight to them...But I solved all of the rattles for now...