How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 02-01-2004, 11:41 AM
svxeno

AC good and bad

Bad part is it doesn't cool enough in hot weather/direct sunlight.

The good part is it works when it's not supposed to. I guess that is still bad but it makes me feel better to have the word good in there somewhere.

What I mean is, while running in "economy" or "Vent" during these cold 60 degree months it will start to blow AC. It seems to happen after the car has been running for a while but I can't establish a particular pattern yet. For example, it's 55 degrees, Temp setting in the car is 73 degrees, nice and toasty then, out of the blue it starts blowing cold (AC cold). I haven't been able to catch the compressor on yet BUT I WILL! Same thing in vent. Suddenly it blow ALOT colder than it was before.

So far I've reset the Climate Control and have reset the ECU (shot in the dark) and it still does it.

Anyone else ever have this "undocumented" SVX feature?

Randy ii
Old 02-01-2004, 01:22 PM
rperry03

Check or have your AC charge checked. It sounds like it is cold because the temps are cooler outside and in the summer it hardly
does squat!
Old 02-01-2004, 07:49 PM
svxeno

I appreciate your response. I know the charge is low and that is the problem with the Summertime troubles. What I can't figure out is why it's starting when I don't have it turned on.

Randy ii
Old 02-02-2004, 09:01 AM
red95svx

RANDY!!!

You may have a bad HVAC control unit. Try running the self-diagnostic test (someone has it in their locker....I can't remember who)

Dave
Old 02-02-2004, 09:54 AM
svxeno

Hey Dave! Good to see you out there.

I've run that diag. All the motors run and once it goes thru the motions it just goes back to normal.

I may have a stumper here. I hope not. I really hate to be the first with a new problem.

Randy ii
Old 02-02-2004, 01:10 PM
red95svx

I'm still thinking it's a bad Climate contoller.
Old 02-02-2004, 09:21 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Question

You'll be happy to know that I'm clueless, Randy, thus can't contribute any more SWAGs to the problem. The puzzle is that the A/C comes on even when in "ECON" which I always thought was heat or outside air only. However, if you turn on the A/C & cover the dash sun sensor, does it react differently? I thought MAYBE the sun's heat was momentarily kicking the compressor on. But you say it's in "ECON"?
I give up.
You're welcome.

Ron (HVAC idiot).

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 02-04-2004, 04:36 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
What about the sensor that detects the inside temperature? It sounds like that might be defective. I don't think you'll catch the A/C compressor on because I doubt it's coming on.

I also think our cars over compensate when heating/cooling the car because when it gets to the "sweet spot" it will alternate noticably warm/cool air forever.
Old 02-05-2004, 07:40 AM
svxeno

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Mummert
You'll be happy to know that I'm clueless, Randy, thus can't contribute any more SWAGs to the problem. The puzzle is that the A/C comes on even when in "ECON" which I always thought was heat or outside air only. However, if you turn on the A/C & cover the dash sun sensor, does it react differently? I thought MAYBE the sun's heat was momentarily kicking the compressor on. But you say it's in "ECON"?
I give up.
You're welcome.

Ron (HVAC idiot).
I had thought the same thing. Sems like that is how operated originally. I'll try covering the sensor and also become more agressive in trying to 'catch' the compressor on to see if Earth is right.

this reply will also 'bump' it back to the top. I just told a new memeber that we all share most of the troubles with this vehicle. I'd hate to think I've introduced something new. *#*@*%^!!

Randy ii